Do You Know Where Your Priest Stands?? Is it preached?

Markie Boy

Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟375,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just wondering - do you know where your priest stands on things - especially the Pro-Life issues, and also the state of the Church?

Where I am the preaching is so vague and grey that my wife and I really don't know what leadership think, other than we should be nice and forgive.

We want to make better things happen, but this is going to require them to help at some level, so a talk is probably coming to discuss things, and ask for more leadership.

Ask for more leadership - that just feels wrong - if we have to ask them to lead, are they actually leaders?

• Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Just wondering - do you know where your priest stands on things - especially the Pro-Life issues, and also the state of the Church?

Where I am the preaching is so vague and grey that my wife and I really don't know what leadership think, other than we should be nice and forgive.

We want to make better things happen, but this is going to require them to help at some level, so a talk is probably coming to discuss things, and ask for more leadership.

Ask for more leadership - that just feels wrong - if we have to ask them to lead, are they actually leaders?

Two things life has taught me:
1) "arresting" or "correcting" clergy is a dangerous game. It may (as I've so happened to experience) backfire as some priest are really, really poor at handling criticism. It can make your participation in the parish difficult for quite some time.
Dont do this unless you absolutely feel you have to!

2) dont base your entire faith on the piety and the orthodoxy of the local clergymen or clergy at all. Even with a Pope like ours it really shouldn't disturb your inner peace in any serious way as we're not given the peace of this world, but the peace of Christ who's not of this world to begin with.

If you're having a bad priest then pray for him and turn to the divine office and consider him an administrator of the sacraments only. Much like a vending machine of some sort.
Dont let earthly things like this disturb your peace and your faith. I've grow to learn this through so many trials and so many years of agony.

Catholicism and/ or Eastern Orthodoxy doesn't center around mere mens behavior and piety nor does it rest on their fidelity to Christ, but on your life with the Lord in accordance with the long held traditions of the church.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thankfully our priests are pretty direct. We have three and they all have their issues that they kind of focus on and are common themes in their homilies. One on human dignity and that we all have worth, one very community building around common beliefs and involving the youth in the parish, and another very strong on the moral positions of the Church. They work well together and none of them leave room for where they stand on pro-life and human dignity issues.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two things life has taught me:
1) "arresting" or "correcting" clergy is a dangerous game. It may (as I've so happened to experience) backfire as some priest are really, really poor at handling criticism. It can make your participation in the parish difficult for quite some time.
Dont do this unless you absolutely feel you have to!

2) dont base your entire faith on the piety and the orthodoxy of the local clergymen or clergy at all. Even with a Pope like ours it really shouldn't disturb your inner peace in any serious way as we're not given the peace of this world, but the peace of Christ who's not of this world to begin with.

If you're having a bad priest then pray for him and turn to the divine office and consider him an administrator of the sacraments only. Much like a vending machine of some sort.
Dont let earthly things like this disturb your peace and your faith. I've grow to learn this through so many trials and so many years of agony.

Catholicism and/ or Eastern Orthodoxy doesn't center around mere mens behavior and piety nor does it rest on their fidelity to Christ, but on your life with the Lord in accordance with the long held traditions of the church.
This.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've seen parishioners stand up during Mass and correct the Priest. He was yelling at that time, so he had it coming. Although, one time he was giving the homily and someone stood up and pointed at their watch and said "You talk too much!" (Guess I go to a "speak your mind" church.) But, I, myself would not publicly berate a Priest like that--nor would I recommend anyone do that. Anyway, I don't worry about our Priest because he's pretty conservative and I agree with most of his opinions. He sticks closely to the bible and isn't swayed by public sentiment.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0