Do you identify as a Christian Centrist?

Do you identify as a Christian Centrist?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where the best place to post this would be, but I believe many "moderates" have mislabeled themselves and are actually centrists. As such, this might be a good place. However, traffic to this forum is low. I still hope it is visible enough to get the response I'd like.

Here is the thread where the below Christian centrist definition is being discussed: Defining a Christian Centrist

Christian centrist: an orthodox (as defined by the Nicene Creed) believer in Christ who develops his/her peripheral theology (any belief not explicitly defined by the Nicene Creed) by honestly considering all ideas equally without concern for ideological consistency or popularity. Instead, their concern is forming convictions grounded in their core faith and based on context and reason. They are willing to change positions or enact reforms when better evidence or new circumstances convince them that any previously held peripheral belief has become inadequate. Nothing, other than their core beliefs based on the Nicene Creed, are immune to such change. Their investigative and open nature drives them to understand why someone with a differing opinion believes what they believe without believing the same or taking offense. In this way, they can peacefully debate others because the end goal is their own edification.

• Useful
Reactions: JCFantasy23

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But I find that definition restrictive. I base a lot of my belief on insight rather than reason. Now, to a lot of people that is just unforgiveable, but I think we need to go beyond reason to fully interpret the scriptures. Having said that, I am prepared to modify my view. I am a work in progress.

Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I find that definition restrictive. I base a lot of my belief on insight rather than reason. Now, to a lot of people that is just unforgiveable, but I think we need to go beyond reason to fully interpret the scriptures. Having said that, I am prepared to modify my view. I am a work in progress.

In the defining Christian centrist thread, reason was seen as being "based on pragmatic reality and circumstance." I don't think this diminishes or lessens the ability to have insight.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,143.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not a term I've heard before, but it's probably one I'd relate to reasonably well. I'd probably have an immutable core set of beliefs broader than the Creed (based on Scripture in particular) but the basic ethos sounds like one I would find myself at home in.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmm...sounds reasonable enough, but "ideological consistency"...? Why include any kind of ideology intertwined with Christianity, even if it is to disclaim it? Is God greater than all of this stuff, or not?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by this, but I am inherently wary of any such thing that seems to understand the faith via the human tendency to compartmentalize everything. I knew Orthodoxy was for me after having been shown through the direct, actual presence of the Holy Spirit among the believers that here was the faith as lived, not as contemplated and systematized until the life is squeezed out of it under heavy blankets of theory and category and so forth, as in my former faith (Roman Catholicism). I never want to lose that for the sake of fitting into some group or some outside understanding of what we are to do.

There is a story in the desert fathers that I will paraphrase as follows: One day St. Anthony, the father of the monks, heard that there was one who was his equal living in the city. Wishing to meet this man, he traveled led by the Spirit into the city, and once there he observed a man who was in fact a simple physician, who performed his work, gave his money to the poor, and every day sang the Sanctus with the angels.

There is another story in the same collection that transpires in this way: One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, 'You have not understood it.' Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, 'How would you explain this saying?' and he replied, 'I do not know.' Then Abba Anthony 'Indeed Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: "I do said, not know."

+ + +

Anything that is not these is not for me.

Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm...sounds reasonable enough, but "ideological consistency"...? Why include any kind of ideology intertwined with Christianity, even if it is to disclaim it? Is God greater than all of this stuff, or not?

I'm not sure if I understand. The definition says "without concern for ideological consistency". For example, I am also a political centrist too. My political positions have no ideological consistency. Some of my positions are labeled as conservative, some liberal, some socalist, and some libertarian. None of it that phases me. I'm just for good ideas and what I think is right. I could care less about their ideological labels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But remember that the meaning of Moderate for purposes of this thread is one who can discuss controversial issues calmly and with civility. It has nothing to do with where any poster may stand on any spectrum of either political or religious belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But remember that the meaning of Moderate for purposes of this thread is one who can discuss controversial issues calmly and with civility. It has nothing to do with where any poster may stand on any spectrum of either political or religious belief.

Looking at the SoP, I see that now. I had originally thought it dealt with one's theological ideology. Christian moderates steer clear of extremes, however, a Christian Centrist might come to the conclusion that an "extreme" idea is actually the right idea. They practice moderation only when it is deemed reasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I was thinking about that just now. Thanks. you're right.
Still I cant debate calmly either when I see a view polar opposite to mine. :)

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
without concern for ideological consistency

It seems odd to have no concern for idealogical consistency.

Anyway -- MODERATE for this subforum -- seems to mean expressing views in a moderate manner, regardless of what one's views are. It is taking a long time for that to sink in with me.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0