Do you have to battle sexual thoughts for the rest of your life?

john6574

Jan 17, 2018
Minnesota
✟13,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I've been addicted to inappropriate contentography for 7 years,since I was 13.I'm 20 now. I've struggled with the guilt of looking at a women's body before marriage for most of my addiction period. But I've made a very very serious decision today to put it away for good. I put a firewall on my tablet so I can't access inappropriate contentographic websites,etc.And praying,meditating in the holy spirit.Anyway,once you reach the point of overcoming a inappropriate contentography addiction,Do you have to battle every single thought and every single imagination that you think about? Or could you see an attractive girl and it would just pass by. I know as men for some of us it is a struggle because we are more sexually aroused,but can you get to that point?,is it a constant battle? My dad was telling me that it is a constant battle. Thanks

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I highly advise you & your dad to watch some Jason Evert talks on YouTube. He gives excellent advice on this subject, far better than anything I could say.
Prayers going out for both of you; may the Good Lord liberate you from the snares of inappropriate contentography, so that you may be free to appreciate the fairer sex the way God intended.

• Agree
Reactions: john6574
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyway,once you reach the point of overcoming a inappropriate contentography addiction,Do you have to battle every single thought and every single imagination that you think about? Or could you see an attractive girl and it would just pass by.
No, you do not have to struggle for the rest of your life. God is able to free you, yes. But this comes partly, according to my experience, with growing and maturing so we do better and better. So, the freedom might not be instant and total. But God can do howsoever He pleases; I am not His counselor of how He will succeed in you! :)

I have not gotten into viewing inappropriate content, but in my imagination and in stores and churches I have been able to do things in myself which are not right. What has helped me is I know God does not want us to lust. Also, it is wrong to use a woman; God wants us to personally care for each and every woman. I think I have seen how inappropriate content people are ruined and wasted; they need our compassion and prayer with hope for them, not that we just use them to look at them.

So, more and more, in the store, I am first loving and tenderly caring for each woman I see, and enjoying loving them, instead of getting shut down from smiling and saying hi and being kind and caring with each person.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I've been addicted to inappropriate contentography for 7 years,since I was 13.I'm 20 now. I've struggled with the guilt of looking at a women's body before marriage for most of my addiction period. But I've made a very very serious decision today to put it away for good. I put a firewall on my tablet so I can't access inappropriate contentographic websites,etc.

But if you've put in the firewall, don't you have the power to get around it?

I'm glad to hear you're going to act to curb your addiction. Here's the thing, though: You make a poor Master and worse servant. In other words, telling yourself you won't ever look at inappropriate content again isn't going to work. You won't obey your own orders. If you could obey them, you'd have done so long before now. The Bible has a very different strategy for dealing with sin:

Romans 8:13
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Romans 13:14
14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Romans 6:11-14
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

And praying,meditating in the holy spirit.

See above.

Do you have to battle every single thought and every single imagination that you think about? Or could you see an attractive girl and it would just pass by. I know as men for some of us it is a struggle because we are more sexually aroused,but can you get to that point?,is it a constant battle? My dad was telling me that it is a constant battle. Thanks

Being attracted to a woman is perfectly normal and good. Entertaining sexual thoughts about them is not. If you've made a steady diet of inappropriate content for seven years, it will take some time to re-train your thinking and attitudes toward women and sex. Be patient. And persistent. Do whatever it takes to stay clear of temptation. Saturate your mind in God's word. Daily yield yourself to God. As you do, you will return in time to a normal and healthy sexual impulse that is controlled by God's Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So I've been addicted to inappropriate contentography for 7 years,since I was 13.I'm 20 now. I've struggled with the guilt of looking at a women's body before marriage for most of my addiction period. But I've made a very very serious decision today to put it away for good. I put a firewall on my tablet so I can't access inappropriate contentographic websites,etc.And praying,meditating in the holy spirit.Anyway,once you reach the point of overcoming a inappropriate contentography addiction,Do you have to battle every single thought and every single imagination that you think about? Or could you see an attractive girl and it would just pass by. I know as men for some of us it is a struggle because we are more sexually aroused,but can you get to that point?,is it a constant battle? My dad was telling me that it is a constant battle. Thanks
Yes. You always have to be on guard, and continue to depend on the Holy Spirit to give you the power to keep yourself pure. As far as thoughts go, you cannot stop birds landing on your head, but you can stop them building a nest there.

• Agree
Reactions: Kit Sigmon
Upvote 0

john6574

Jan 17, 2018
Minnesota
✟13,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I highly advise you & your dad to watch some Jason Evert talks on YouTube. He gives excellent advice on this subject, far better than anything I could say.
Prayers going out for both of you; may the Good Lord liberate you from the snares of inappropriate contentography, so that you may be free to appreciate the fairer sex the way God intended.
I'll check it out!

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can be completely free of the struggle, and can also be freed from even the temptation. This is something that God does when you make going to him every time to fight it a part of your thought life. However, the short-term effect is not a part of the decision whether to fight the thoughts or not. This is a necessary way of life for a Christian. It gets easier after a time. Having said that, even though I have been doing this a very long time, the temptations can still come to me. However, spending enough daily time in personal worship and prayer causes the temptations to not show up at all.

Paul writing about his evangelism said,

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5, 1984 NIV)

But I also take the statement as an approach to my own thought life (which can be argued as from Scripture). Our lifestyle must be to eject sinful thoughts as soon as one notices he is dwelling on them. Choosing to dwell on sinful imagery is a sin.

A post I wrote a while back might be of value to you: inappropriate contentography always causes massive harm
There is also this related post: Port effects and actions to take

Upvote 0

FaitfulServant67

Feb 25, 2018
Rochester
✟8,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Satan always prowls around waiting for a time to attack. Look to God and ask for help. Remember his word and repeat it, it usually works for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our thought life can be controlled. Many of the negative thoughts we receive daily come from Satan, that includes thoughts to use inappropriate content. But the devil will not try (regularly) to inject thoughts that we have beaten in our hearts. You may find it difficult to resist thoughts about inappropriate content initially. But if you are persistent in your will power, and over come the thought. It will happens less and less regularly. The thought may never go away entirely. I don't use inappropriate content, but once in every few months the devil will tell me "why not try it it won't hurt any one". Note how he tells me it will not hurt, he makes it sound and feel good. We need to resist both the thought and the "Good" feeling.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

It is a constant battle. It could be more difficult for you, because you have been into inappropriate content for a long time.

I have almost no problem with it at all, because I was never into it.

It's the same as someone who starts drinking and becomes an alcoholic. Because they were an alcoholic, they will have a harder time with alcohol, than someone who never was. I could drink some wine, and have zero effect, because I've never been an alcoholic.

But the other side is that nagging sexual desire inherent to all men. That isn't going away. That is something you'll always have, and all men have, and all struggle with it until death. (or until they end up with a low-testosterone problem, and lose all desire, but that's not fun either)

The one good side is that, the more you win against this issue, the easier it will be. The hardest is the first few days, weeks, and months. After that, as long as you keep pure, you will eventually gain more and more resistance.

The one trick is to have a plan for what times are tough. What are you going to do? Fall back into it? No, I'm going to do something else.

You must believe that you are not helpless weak and pathetic. You must believe that you have been given the grace of G-d to overcome this... and then make a choice to live like it.

You can win. This is a battle you can win, because G-d defeated evil, and Jesus is part of your life now. You have to believe that. You must.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare
are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

For the Christian, there are three basic – and vital - elements to victorious Christian living:

1). The Word of Truth:

Psalms 119:11
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You!

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
16 All Scripture
is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Ephesians 6:17
17 And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Holy Scripture is vital in the fight against temptation and sin. King David was not mistaken when he drew a direct connection between an intimate knowledge of God's Word and success in avoiding sin. Scripture was Jesus' first line of defense when Satan tempted him in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1-11). Every time he was tempted, Jesus said the same thing: "It is written..." The Word of God tells you what is true about God, about you - and about sin. Scripture exposes Satan's lying temptations for what they are and pierces through them with the truth which sets us free. The Bible is the sole offensive weapon God has given us in the spiritual armor we are to wear each day. We must, if we are to have any victory over the Enemy and the “law of sin in our members” (Ro. 7:23), follow God's commands to memorize His word (Ps. 119:11; Prov. 3:1-3; Col. 3:16a), meditate upon it (Ps. 1; 119:48; Phil. 4:8), and obey it (Matt. 7:21; Ja. 2:26)!

2). The Power of God:

You cannot be "holy as God is holy" in your own strength. In fact, God doesn't want you to try to be holy, He wants you to let Him be holy in and through you. Your job is to get out of His way, to submit to His will and way and be a vessel that He can use (2 Ti. 2:19-21). No amount of Bible memorization or quoting of Scripture in the midst of temptation will help you if you aren't living in full submission to God. Satan and/or the impulses of our own flesh cannot be properly and effectively resisted from a position of independence from God. We must first submit to God and then we are in the right place to resist the devil.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Romans 6:12-13
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield you your members
as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Romans 12:1

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

James 4:6-7
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble."
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from yo
u.

Christ described being his disciple in terms of a branch on a vine (Jn. 15:4, 5). He said that a branch, so long as it stays connected to the vine, will bear fruit. The branch doesn't have to fight and strain to do so, however; it doesn't grip the vine with all its might and quiver with the strain of sucking the sap out of it; it doesn't work hard to force fruit from itself. No, all that is required of the branch is that it remain in intimate and continual connection with the vine. And as it does, the life-giving, fruit-producing sap of the vine flows into the branch, enlarging it and producing its fruit through the branch.

A believer who is abiding in the Vine, who is living in constant, conscious surrender to, and union with, Christ, is one in whom the flow of the transforming power of God moves unimpeded. Such a person will find victory over sin a natural and inevitable consequence of their submitted communion with God.

3). The Armor of Righteousness:

Sin cuts us off from the power and full fellowship of God. (Ps. 34:16; Isa. 59:2; Ja. 4:4) If you don't keep short accounts with God, you will soon find yourself spiritually weak and easy prey for temptation. When you sin, as soon as you sin, confess it (1Jn. 1:9) and move on. You are running a race of sorts spiritually. Does a runner who wants to finish the race well, perhaps to win it, bemoan his situation and remain down when he has fallen? Absolutely not! There is no time to waste in a race! He gets right back up and continues to run. And so must the believer who has fallen into sin. Consider the apostle Paul's words:

Hebrews 12:1
1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing
I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Too often, believers think they must grieve their sin and condemn themselves before God so that He will forgive them; they must show themselves, by the degree of their upset over their sin, worthy of God's forgiveness. But this is to attempt to earn God's forgiveness and thus to contribute to the perfect atoning work of Christ on the cross! Certainly, a believer ought to feel sorrow over their sin (Ja. 4:8-10), but never with the view to making themselves thereby worthy of God's forgiveness. “Jesus paid it all,” the old hymn says; there is nothing that remains for us to do to obtain God's forgiveness. And so, when we sin, we confess it to God so that the forgiveness that is already ours in Christ may be applied to us. Having done so, all that remains is to resume the “race” and “press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

The Bottom Line:

Although there are three factors that have been emphasized as vital to living in victory over sin, they all rest upon what Paul explains in his letter to the Philippians:

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

It is because the believer has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit and by him made both willing and able to do God's will that the believer hungers for the word of God, and desires to submit to the will and way of God, and is eager to keep short accounts with Him. It is because the believer has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit that these desires may be positively acted upon. The Holy Spirit is the power source of the Christian life, working in and through the believer to fulfill God's will His way. There is, then, no genuinely born-again child of God who cannot live a victorious Christian life. It is their spiritual birthright and ought increasingly to be the daily experience of every true disciple of Christ.

Jude 1:24-25
24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.

Upvote 0