Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have parents?

Did they?

Did they?

Let's play this game a million times.

You're now a million generations back. The one thing that everyone has in common is that their parents didn't die before they had kids. Figuring the average age of about 18 for when children were born. A million generations is 18 million years ago. Do you think those parents were the same as they are today?

No parent ever gave birth to a child they did not recognize. But would you recognize your Great-great x1,000,000 grandfather?

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,662.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It freaks me out knowing that I have a direct line of ancestry going back over 4 billion years. How cool would it be to have a family album with a piccie taken every few thousand years.

'And this is great...great grandad on the beach. Well, when I say 'on the beach' it's actually after he just crawled out of the ocean'.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It freaks me out knowing that I have a direct line of ancestry going back over 4 billion years. How cool would it be to have a family album with a piccie taken every few thousand years.

'And this is great...great grandad on the beach. Well, when I say 'on the beach' it's actually after he just crawled out of the ocean'.
When you go to the zoo, do you get an impulse to go to the administration there and say, "Let my people go"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,662.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When you go to the zoo, do you get an impulse to go to the administration there and say, "Let my people go"?

Yes, I do. I can't abide zoos. There is nothing more depressing than seeing a dozen chimps sitting listlessly in an enclosure about the size of half a football pitch.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Do you have parents?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Do you have parents?

Did they?

Did they?

You're now a million generations back. The one thing that everyone has in common is that their parents didn't die before they had kids. Figuring the average age of about 18 for when children were born. A million generations is 18 million years ago. Do you think those parents were the same as they are today?

No parent ever gave birth to a child they did not recognize. But would you recognize your Great-great x1,000,000 grandfather?

If every generation was compared to the generation before it, they would still be comparing the next generation to the same generation, by the end.

Now you can say "no, one day they will be comparing us to greater apes than are there today" but I don't buy it.

I don't think I will ever have to believe I came from apes, to the end of my life and indeed the lives of all who are alive with me today and their end.

• Agree
Reactions: Yennora
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I will ever have to believe I came from apes, to the end of my life and indeed the lives of all who are alive with me today and their end.
However, the conclusion as to whether or not you are descended from apes and are, indeed, an ape yourself, is quite independent of any belief you may have about the matter. As always you are fully entitled to your opinions, it's just that they have no impact upon this aspect of reality.

However, kudos on making the first remark in any of your posts that I have read where you make a comment on biological evolution that actually relates to biological evolution. I almost missed that. Taking a line from Casablanca, perhaps this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you have parents?

Did they?

Did they?

the one thing that most have in common is that their parents didn't die before their conception but with sperm donors, the male donor may be dead even before that. Many fathers have died before the birth of their children and I suspect a few mothers have too. but every parent gives birth to a child they do not recognize. do you not know how giving birth works? it's a bit of a surprise even with modern tech. if we're talking about human characteristics a better question might be do you think you will recognize your descendants 1,000,000 generations from now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I do. I can't abide zoos. There is nothing more depressing than seeing a dozen chimps sitting listlessly in an enclosure about the size of half a football pitch.
maybe you should give them a bone to play with?
0_duNpuF3jpS-Ag9SF-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0