Do You Have an Obligation to Vote in November?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DIFFICULT MORAL QUESTIONS: “I’m disgusted by the leading political candidates for president. Do I have a moral obligation to vote in November?”

A. We all have an obligation — indeed, a grave obligation — to work for the common good of our country. The office of president contributes significantly to our country’s common good. So we ordinarily have an obligation to vote in presidential elections. I say ordinarily because the obligation is not absolute.

In the system as it presently exists, the choice of president essentially is made between only two candidates. If after careful investigation we judge that neither party’s nominee represents any evidential advantage to the common good over the other, then we have no obligation to vote. If, however, one of the candidates and the party he represents clearly pose a greater threat to the country’s well-being, even if the other candidate and his party are undeserving in many ways, we should vote for the less unworthy candidate in order to prevent the worse from being elected.

Some have argued that we should be entitled to cast a “negative vote,” in which case the vote would be subtracted from the total of the candidate toward which it was cast. Presently, we have no such option. In its absence, voting for the less unworthy candidate acts as a kind of negative vote.

What about voting for a more worthy third-party candidate? Such voting is usually symbolic, a kind of “purity” vote, more for ourselves and our own reputations than for the common good. I say usually because if significant numbers vote for the same third-party candidate, it could indicate his viability for vice president (or presidential appointee) or for a future presidential run, or even — what is to be hoped one day — the burgeoning viability of a three-or-more party system to replace our badly corrupted two-party system. But we’d have to know in advance that such numbers were opting for an alternative candidate before we could have confidence that our vote could offer realistic benefit to the common good.

Continued below.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Surprisingly (perhaps), abortions went down a lot under Obama/Biden to an all-time low in 2016 (since records began in the early 1970s). And seem to have been even lower at least in 2017, but....

And though federal statistics don't seem available since 2016 for whatever reason (CDCs Abortion Surveillance System FAQs | CDC)....

When I looked at individual states for 2018, I found that abortions for most of the 6 or 7 states I looked at rose in 2018.

examples:
Abortion Reporting: Alabama (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Georgia (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Florida (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Utah (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute

I did find one state in which they fell for 2018
Abortion Reporting: Missouri (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute

But, we would like to know for the nation as a whole, of course.

Why were abortions rising in many states, even despite all the protests and laws?....

I think it's about character -- the influence of the president, on young people.

If the president seems lewd, then that has an influence -- if he can do worldly things, if the president follows the fleshly urges -- then we can too, someone 18 or 20 years old often might feel.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Surprisingly (perhaps), abortions went down a lot under Obama/Biden to an all-time low in 2016 (since records began in the early 1970s). And seem to have been even lower at least in 2017, but....

And though federal statistics don't seem available since 2016 for whatever reason (CDCs Abortion Surveillance System FAQs | CDC)....

When I looked at individual states for 2018, I found that abortions for most of the 6 or 7 states I looked at rose in 2018.

examples:
Abortion Reporting: Alabama (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Georgia (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Florida (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute
Abortion Reporting: Utah (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute

I did find one state in which they fell for 2018
Abortion Reporting: Missouri (2018) | Charlotte Lozier Institute

But, we would like to know for the nation as a whole, of course.

Why were abortions rising in many states, even despite all the protests and laws?....

I think it's about character -- the influence of the president, on young people.

If the president seems lewd, then that has an influence -- if he can do worldly things, if the president follows the fleshly urges -- then we can too, someone 18 or 20 years old often might feel.

I think you're grasping at straws to make a point, which of course is your right to do so.

But I think there's a far greater (and more deadly cause) for the lack of abortions, and that would be the further devaluation of marriage and families by the Democrats, accompanied by the increased importance and valuation of individual's lives.

BLM easily translates to "I matter" (as an individual person).

And when "first person, singular tense" becomes the most important being alive, there would be no need or desire for others, because "first person, singular tense" comes before all else.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you're grasping at straws to make a point, which of course is your right to do so.

But I think there's a far greater (and more deadly cause) for the lack of abortions, and that would be the further devaluation of marriage and families by the Democrats, accompanied by the increased importance and valuation of individual's lives.

BLM easily translates to "I matter" (as an individual person).

And when "first person, singular tense" becomes the most important being alive, there would be no need or desire for others, because "first person, singular tense" comes before all else.

Yes, the I-first is the very problem. It's not particular to one political party(!) -- it's particular to being human.

While it's easy for us older people to feel very independent of the behavior of a president, and not think the president influence people to take such dramatic steps as sex outside marriage and such, never feel a president can really alter the behavior of millions -- we'd never emulate him.

We ourselves don't emulate the president, not this one or that one, as we are older, more mature.

And so we can't fully remember easily that side of being 20 yrs old in a full way, to accurately remember how one might think something like 'other people are doing that, why shouldn't I?' or even just 'look at how he lived it up when he was young and got all the sex, and I'd better do it now if I'm going to' and such thoughts, and in this way a president can influence young people, whether we like or it not. One of the aspects that God created for me was to remember things in detail, so I do remember that kind of phase, and know it's real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DIFFICULT MORAL QUESTIONS: “I’m disgusted by the leading political candidates for president. Do I have a moral obligation to vote in November?”

A. We all have an obligation — indeed, a grave obligation — to work for the common good of our country. The office of president contributes significantly to our country’s common good. So we ordinarily have an obligation to vote in presidential elections. I say ordinarily because the obligation is not absolute.

In the system as it presently exists, the choice of president essentially is made between only two candidates. If after careful investigation we judge that neither party’s nominee represents any evidential advantage to the common good over the other, then we have no obligation to vote. If, however, one of the candidates and the party he represents clearly pose a greater threat to the country’s well-being, even if the other candidate and his party are undeserving in many ways, we should vote for the less unworthy candidate in order to prevent the worse from being elected.

Some have argued that we should be entitled to cast a “negative vote,” in which case the vote would be subtracted from the total of the candidate toward which it was cast. Presently, we have no such option. In its absence, voting for the less unworthy candidate acts as a kind of negative vote.

What about voting for a more worthy third-party candidate? Such voting is usually symbolic, a kind of “purity” vote, more for ourselves and our own reputations than for the common good. I say usually because if significant numbers vote for the same third-party candidate, it could indicate his viability for vice president (or presidential appointee) or for a future presidential run, or even — what is to be hoped one day — the burgeoning viability of a three-or-more party system to replace our badly corrupted two-party system. But we’d have to know in advance that such numbers were opting for an alternative candidate before we could have confidence that our vote could offer realistic benefit to the common good.

Continued below.

We all want this, really --

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Galatians 5:23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, the I-first is the very problem. It's not particular to one political party(!) -- it's particular to being human.

While it's easy for us older people to feel very independent of the behavior of a president, and not think the president influence people to take such dramatic steps as sex outside marriage and such, never feel a president can really alter the behavior of millions -- we'd never emulate him.

We ourselves don't emulate the president, not this one or that one, as we are older, more mature.

And so we can't fully remember easily that side of being 20 yrs old in a full way, to accurately remember how one might think something like 'other people are doing that, why shouldn't I?' or even just 'look at how he lived it up when he was young and got all the sex, and I'd better do it now if I'm going to' and such thoughts, and in this way a president can influence young people, whether we like or it not. One of the aspects that God created for me was to remember things in detail, so I do remember that kind of phase, and know it's real.

When we are children we think and act like children. But as we mature, most of us also gain knowledge of what such thinking can lead to.
We begin to think twice about "the Big "C" Word: Consequences. And we learn to act accordingly.

There are exceptions, of course, and those folks usually wind up in jail if they are lucky.
If they aren't lucky, their life is cut a bit shorter than they imagined it would be.
(no snub intended to virus victims)

Upvote 0