Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
We have a fantastic marriage. Would I want people to "emulate" us? I don't really think that would work, as we're very.. "different" people than what I would consider the average couple to be :D The way we operate would not fit well with others. I also don't believe life is about picking a hero or role model and trying to be like him or her. It's just about being who you are. It's fine to draw inspiration from others, but I wouldn't want to "emulate" someone.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I think aobut it it all woudl go back to BALANCE..Finding a balance where BOTH are at minimum "content to dwell"..and at relative peace is a "good marriage" and there is not "one way" for every couple to do that..let alone how one couple reaches that balance necessarrily can be "emulated' by anotoher couple to attain the same reuslts..Its POSSIBLLE it can but there is no gaurantee.because its two whole seperate and unique individuals..
ITA. Balance is a good word, and also "relative" peace. I am content to dwell with my husband, and there is relative peace. I don't believe that anyone has the specific answer, because all individuals are different, and therefore all marriages are different, and NO marriages are perfect, because there are no perfect people.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I have a good marriage, but I don't believe anyone should "emmulate" any marriage. Marriages are specific to that couple, and there's no formula or technique that can be followed for a good marriage. What works for me and my wife ( or you and your wife) may not work for other couples.
This is the spirit of my reply as well.

Marriages are like recipes. You can follow a basic recipe, but most people end up adding their own ingredients and making changes.
:)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a fantastic marriage. Would I want people to "emulate" us? I don't really think that would work, as we're very.. "different" people than what I would consider the average couple to be :D The way we operate would not fit well with others. I also don't believe life is about picking a hero or role model and trying to be like him or her. It's just about being who you are. It's fine to draw inspiration from others, but I wouldn't want to "emulate" someone.

I'm seeing a lot of similar responses that there are "good", "great", or "fantastic" marriages, but not really any agreement that theirs should be "emulated".

That's fine and dandy, but I was curious if any of these couples are in a position or have been asked to be mentors to other couples?

Sorry if this question is off topic. I will remove it if it is so as to not derail the thread.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a wonderful marriage - married 53 years. My advice is 'pick your fights' - not everything is worth making a fuss over. If I can keep away from saying 'you need to' or you 'ought to' we don't have words. If he does something I don't like 'grin and bear it' it's his home too. He does the same for me.He has ideas of his own - I don't try to change them. If he wants to help - I say 'thank you' if he doesn't - I keep quiet.

Upvote 0
A

Anessa14

although we are still dealing with problems, we are committed, and we are both happier together than apart.

Interesting this thread would be started; we had dinner last night with my 28yo nephew & his girlfriend and I asked them what future plans they had. Sean (the neph) said he didn't see himself married with children- that the only marriages he had ever seen that worked are my older sister's, my older brother's and mine, and he knows about the lightening strike that hit my marriage, and has watched us stand together & rebuild. On the way home, DH & I were talking about how sad it is that this guy has only 3 marriages he can point to that are solid. He never knew my parents or grandparents (they passed away before he was 5). I recall all my aunts & uncles, my grandparents, my parents, the church folks.... I had so many more models of marriage than my husband did and now my dear nieces & nephews. That's the history we're giving this next generations.
A

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
although we are still dealing with problems, we are committed, and we are both happier together than apart.

Interesting this thread would be started; we had dinner last night with my 28yo nephew & his girlfriend and I asked them what future plans they had. Sean (the neph) said he didn't see himself married with children- that the only marriages he had ever seen that worked are my older sister's, my older brother's and mine, and he knows about the lightening strike that hit my marriage, and has watched us stand together & rebuild. On the way home, DH & I were talking about how sad it is that this guy has only 3 marriages he can point to that are solid. He never knew my parents or grandparents (they passed away before he was 5). I recall all my aunts & uncles, my grandparents, my parents, the church folks.... I had so many more models of marriage than my husband did and now my dear nieces & nephews. That's the history we're giving this next generations.
A

That's a good point. It is important for there to be 'emulatable' marriages for other people to look at. It encourages other people. Young people really need role models in this area, especially if a lot of the marriages they have seen have ended in divorce. Some old people could benefit from role models.

By 'emulate' I had in mind a marriage being good enough for other people to use it as a role model and imitate aspects of it, and having a marriage that is strong and healthy enough that both husband and wife feel confident offering advice to other couples without worrying that they are being hypocritical because their own marriage has major problems in it.

This reminds me of the Catholic commercial about marriages effecting a lot of people that keeps coming on the radio.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good point. It is important for there to be 'emulatable' marriages for other people to look at. It encourages other people. Young people really need role models in this area, especially if a lot of the marriages they have seen have ended in divorce. Some old people could benefit from role models.

By 'emulate' I had in mind a marriage being good enough for other people to use it as a role model and imitate aspects of it, and having a marriage that is strong and healthy enough that both husband and wife feel confident offering advice to other couples without worrying that they are being hypocritical because their own marriage has major problems in it.
I cannot imagine any marriage that does not have problems - because we are, are we not, sinners to a man and woman? So this perspective of the marital nirvana is not something that I believe in.

Far from being "hypocritical", on the contrary, I have learned TONS from people who have been through incredible troubles, who have been to the brink of complete despair, and almost to the point of divorce, and then miracles have happened. That to me is worth SO much more to me. I had a great thread about it last year, and maybe I should pull it up, because there were some wonderful testimonies from people who had been through the mill and through their own hard work and prayer, their marriages had survived.

I can't learn from someone who tells me 'just do x and y and it will all work out'. That's cookie cutter stuff and doesn't fit all circumstances.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jane,

It would only be hypocritical if a couple pretends to have it all together and puts their marriage forth as an example to emulate, when they have major problems in their marriage.

All marriages have problems of one sort or another, but not all marriages have major problems. Adultery, fighting all the time, bitterness, resentment, unforgiveness, abuse, rebellion, etc. are what I would call 'major problems'. Someone who has major problems in their marriage might be able to offer someone else encouragement. But the couple would not be suitable 'marriage mentors' for another couple where they serve as a role model, take them under their wing in regards to marriage, etc.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jane,

It would only be hypocritical if a couple pretends to have it all together and puts their marriage forth as an example to emulate, when they have major problems in their marriage.

All marriages have problems of one sort or another, but not all marriages have major problems. Adultery, fighting all the time, bitterness, resentment, unforgiveness, abuse, rebellion, etc. are what I would call 'major problems'. Someone who has major problems in their marriage might be able to offer someone else encouragement. But the couple would not be suitable 'marriage mentors' for another couple where they serve as a role model, take them under their wing in regards to marriage, etc.
But that couple is hardly likely to want to take others under their wing, are they? I mean, under what circumstances would, firstly, that couple offer, and secondly, others want to take their advice? I mean, is this even a real issue?

As for your laundry list: adultery and abuse are the major issues that cause bitterness, resentment, and unforgiveness. People don't get bitter because their spouse didn't fill the dog's water bowl.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for your laundry list: adultery and abuse are the major issues that cause bitterness, resentment, and unforgiveness. People don't get bitter because their spouse didn't fill the dog's water bowl.

Some people have attitude problems and get angry and bitter over small things.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people have attitude problems and get angry and bitter over small things.
And who are you to judge what are small things? What is small to you from outside of a marriage may be huge to the people inside the marriage, who know the full story, which you - as an outsider - do not, and never will.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

I'm seeing a lot of similar responses that there are "good", "great", or "fantastic" marriages, but not really any agreement that theirs should be "emulated".

That's fine and dandy, but I was curious if any of these couples are in a position or have been asked to be mentors to other couples?

Sorry if this question is off topic. I will remove it if it is so as to not derail the thread.

Personally, no. Not really. I only know 4 other couples through my DH (his friends) and none of them are Christian other than "culturally".

I know a few moms/dads in passing from my kid (soon kids) going to kindergarten, but nothing to actually really discuss with anyone about anything other than "Yeah ______ and ______ can't have any gluten, or unkosher items, and _______ additionally can't have milk. What are you making <or> what is the theme so I can bring something to the birthday party?"

I have met my downstairs neighbors, but we have conflicting schedules and I only tend to see them when they, or we, are coming or going.

My brother is divorced, and my sister is in an abusive marriage. Both are across the ocean. She has actually been married 2 years longer than I have. Anything I say is couched in the "older sister" dynamic anyhow. :sorry:

I only know 2 unmarried couples, and those are friends of DH, other than his cousin and her boyfriend, and she has made it more than obvious she is uninterested in christianity.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And who are you to judge what are small things? What is small to you from outside of a marriage may be huge to the people inside the marriage, who know the full story, which you - as an outsider - do not, and never will.

I'm not judging anyone's individual marriage. I just pointed out some people can get bitter over small things.

Some people can argue over extremely small things, too. :cool:

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not judging anyone's individual marriage. I just pointed out some people can get bitter over small things.
And that is a judgement because you are "judging" that those are "small" things without any insider knowledge - unless of course you are talking about your own marriage. That is the only marriage that you can be sure that you know most of the details on and can accurately point out things about.

Some people can argue over extremely small things, too. :cool:
Then drop the rope and stop arguing with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour

i wouldn't mentor another couple, I have absolutely no idea how to go about it and would hate to fall in to the trap I've seen amongst many do-gooder mentor wannabies in that they just try and turn somebody elses marriage in to a carbon copy of their own.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i wouldn't mentor another couple, I have absolutely no idea how to go about it and would hate to fall in to the trap I've seen amongst many do-gooder mentor wannabies in that they just try and turn somebody elses marriage in to a carbon copy of their own.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that is a judgement because you are "judging" that those are "small" things without any insider knowledge -

I'm not talking about any specifically. Who am I judging?

Have you never met anyone who gets bent out of shape over small things that shouldn't matter, who are always finding something to get upset about?

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not talking about any specifically. Who am I judging?

Have you never met anyone who gets bent out of shape over small things that shouldn't matter, who are always finding something to get upset about?
You are judging anyone who you think has what you consider to be "small things" that they are bitter about. Yes, I have met a few eeyores, but again, who am I to judge. What seems small to me might be a mountain to them.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are judging anyone who you think has what you consider to be "small things" that they are bitter about.

No I am not.

Yes, I have met a few eeyores, but again,
How can you say you aren't judging by your own definition. You even proved my point that such people exist.

who am I to judge.
Then don't.

What seems small to me might be a mountain to them.
Okay, that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. Why would you say you know people who get upset over small things then?

Btw, does every small thing have to be argued about?

Upvote 0