ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
As a former Anglican, I did not. Nor did any of my fellow Anglicans at the parish I attended...at least, to my knowledge. Do you go to confession? If so, how does it differ to the Catholic Sacrament of Reconcilliation?

This link is a page that outlines Catholic Confession

Thankyou :)

God Bless.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
At the church i grew up (i'm currently at university) they operated confession by appointment and it was never something i thought i needed to go to. Now i've grown up a bit (and also become increasingly less mature :D ) it's something i really want to go to but just don't have the courage to.

I think all Anglican Priests, be it a high or low church are compelled to hear confessions but it's something that is more encouraged the higher you get.

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
The rules for Confession are the same. Veil of Secrecy, and a priest is required to hear one, should a person desire to make confession. As mentioned above, it is usually done at the altar rail, rather than in a confessional.

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. Not a lot, but some. Me, for example. I wanted to begin the practice of at least doing it once a year, preceeding Easter. But, as I can only recieve Confession adn Absolution in Anglican churches, and only two offered, I was unable to go due to time constraints.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ukok said:
As a former Anglican, I did not. Nor did any of my fellow Anglicans at the parish I attended...at least, to my knowledge. Do you go to confession? If so, how does it differ to the Catholic Sacrament of Reconcilliation?

God Bless.

Sure. Confession of sins, with absolution, is a standard part of every Holy Communion service. I suppose that also answers the question about a comparison to the Catholic sacrament of Reconciliation.

There is no formal provision in Anglicanism for routine Confessions as separate from corporate worship.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Sacrament of Reconciliation of a Pentient is performed at every Mass before celebrating the Liturgy of Holy Communion.

Personal confessions are optional, though they are welcome. I personally try to make a formal confession at least once a month.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
benedictine said:
The rules for Confession are the same. Veil of Secrecy, and a priest is required to hear one, should a person desire to make confession. As mentioned above, it is usually done at the altar rail, rather than in a confessional.
Actually, there aren't any rules. However, there are clergy who abide by what Roman Catholics or Orthodox Eastern clergy do, or a combination...which was, I think, the essence of your answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trooper

Feb 1, 2005
✟550.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have been in Anglican churches where private confession was a regular habit for most of the members. I personally find confession to be a painful, embarassing and really good for me thing to do. I have never heard of a priest who would refuse to hear one. Penance is given, absolution pronounced, and the a blessing is given. The secrecy of a confession is morally absolute for the confessor, and must under no circumstances be broken (BCP, p.446).

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Albion said:
No, no priest is compelled to hear a private confession.

you sure about that? I can't find anything to hand but i'm sure i read somewhere that this was this case (or course, we are talking ECUSA / COFE here, but i don't think that should make a difference). I will do some research

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Every priest has the power to hear confessions and pronounce absolution. For many Anglicans, confession is a regular part of their spirituality, and something that is very important and very reassuring.

We Anglicans have this saying pertaining to Confession:

"All may, some should, none must."

You may check out the liturgy for Confession/Reconciliation beginning on page 448 of the BCP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I hear confessions as needed-- I am available an hour before each mass, but many times no one needs to confess. Of course we are a small parish...

I also make confession with a local RC priest every couple of months as needed ( of course this could be more frequently depending on which parishioners I am having to put up with at the moment;) ).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TomUK said:
you sure about that? I can't find anything to hand but i'm sure i read somewhere that this was this case (or course, we are talking ECUSA / COFE here, but i don't think that should make a difference). I will do some research

I've never heard of such a thing, and there's nothing in church law that would require any optional service or practice. As we know, bishops can lean on their presbyters to do almost anything, regardless, so there may be some situation somewhere in the world....

However, require and generally so? No.

Incidentally, it has been pointed out that the American BAS, called the BCP of 1979, does have a form for "Confession." But no BCP of any church in the world did so until that came along, I believe. If anyone has other info to the contrary, of course, it would be interesting to know.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ukok said:

This link is a page that outlines Catholic Confession

God Bless.
My priest hears confession if someone wants to go to confession, but we don't have set times, it is a person by person basis.

We are a small parish.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Colabomb said:
My priest hears confession if someone wants to go to confession, but we don't have set times, it is a person by person basis.

We are a small parish.

Yes, but isn't the point that hearing the concerns of a penitent who cannot calm his own conscience by a direct act of contrition to God is permitted, as an extraordinary practice, to confess to a presbyter privately? That is the Prayer Book approach to this, not something regular, required, or expected. I would hope that your pastor doesn't just hold open times of the week when confessions are expected.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.