Do you get the Holy Spirit before or after repentance?

Do you get the Holy Spirit before or after repentance?

• Before repentance

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • After repentance

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit causes repentance and a turn for the better!

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. - 1 Corinthians 12:3

A continued walk in the Spirit causes sanctification and as we Pentecostals would label it, a full baptism in the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit one must have before they can believe. This is the New Birth. The baptism with the Holy Spirit happens through repentance (Acts 2:38) leading to holiness as a manner of life.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please also tell why you hold to your view. Christ love!

/P

The Holy Spirit is gifted through chrismation. Chrismation comes after baptism. Baptism comes after repentance.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe He deals differently with folks as He wills?

Are we expecting the scriptures to be exhaustive on topics that have scant detail.

Are we constructing systematic theologies from what we read and putting God in a box?

I fear all of the above is happening.

At three I knew God was real, I could see Him in nature.

At 13 I gave my life to Him and He has indwelled me ever since.

Shortly after I was baptised by immersion to declare my new identity in Him.

At 17 I was preaching in the church.

At 22 I married a non-believer and had 11 years in the wilderness.

At 33 He picked me up and put me back on the rails.

At 35 with deep repentance, I was baptised in the spirit and His annointing has been on me ever since.

For goodness sake let Him do what He does in lives and stop formulating His activities.

At the end of the day fruit for His kingdom is what matters not how we got there.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

/P

After repentance and faith in Christ under the faithful preaching of the gospel (Gal. 3:2; Act. 10:44; etc)

The permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit, differing from his work of regeneration, is the sealing of the believer's final redemption and future glory (Eph. 4:30, etc).

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe that when I repented and accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior that I was born again and received the holy spirit. Many have not been baptised and I don;t believe they will be rejected by Jesus.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It depends on what you mean by repentance.
If repentance means turning away from the world, flesh and the devil, and turning to Christ as your complete Saviour, then as soon as you receive Christ, you are filled with the Holy Spirit. That is what happened in each example in Acts. Conversion to Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit happens simultaneously.

If some define repentance is repenting of all known sin after receiving Christ before the infilling of the Holy Spirit then the infilling of the Spirit comes before it. Actually repenting of sin comes from an Old Testament mind-set. The New Testament mindset concerning victory over sin is to put on the new man who is motivated by the fruit of the Spirit within him that defeats temptation as it occurs. Trying to repent of sin in the flesh brings defeat, depression, disappointment and self-condemnation, because we will fail every time. We need the Holy Spirit in us to defeat sinful habit patterns in our lives, and it is achieved through the application of the fruit of the Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with Mr. Emerson, Some of you make it very difficult and it is very discouraging for the new Christians. God didn't make it so difficult It is up to God to define our hearts and motives.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on what you mean by repentance.
If repentance means turning away from the world, flesh and the devil, and turning to Christ as your complete Saviour, then as soon as you receive Christ, you are filled with the Holy Spirit. That is what happened in each example in Acts. Conversion to Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit happens simultaneously.

If some define repentance is repenting of all known sin after receiving Christ before the infilling of the Holy Spirit then the infilling of the Spirit comes before it. Actually repenting of sin comes from an Old Testament mind-set. The New Testament mindset concerning victory over sin is to put on the new man who is motivated by the fruit of the Spirit within him that defeats temptation as it occurs. Trying to repent of sin in the flesh brings defeat, depression, disappointment and self-condemnation, because we will fail every time. We need the Holy Spirit in us to defeat sinful habit patterns in our lives, and it is achieved through the application of the fruit of the Spirit.
I think (as you probably do) that some use the words repentance and confession interchangeably. But they are two different things.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think (as you probably do) that some use the words repentance and confession interchangeably. But they are two different things.
Agreed. :)
My view is that when people are genuinely converted, they are given a new heart and spirit. Then they are filled with the Holy Spirit and then they have the great desire to get totally cleaned up before God by confessing all known sin and asking the Holy Spirit to remind them about the ones they have forgotten. They then see sin as their greatest enemy, and would never even consider going back to the sinful life they lived before.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

/P
I don't recall hearing anyone claiming to have received the Holy Spirit before repentance.
Although, as Oscarr said, it depends on what you mean by repentance.
And as Carl Emerson said, we can't limit what God might do.
In fact the Holy Spirit draws us to Christ. So, in that sense, the Spirit comes first. But...

• Winner
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
In Lutheran and Reformed theology, faith and regeneration are usually thought of as antecedent to repentance. People must be made alive before they can realize they are sinners.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People in the Bible always received the Holy Spirit after confessing Jesus as Lord. The original disciples of Jesus didn't even receive the Holy Sprit until long after Jesus' death and resurrection.
Peter said; “Therefore, if God gave them the same gift that He also gave to us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, how could I possibly hinder God?”” (Acts 11:17) (HCSB)
Peter and the others believed long before Pentecost.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Lutheran and Reformed theology, faith and regeneration are usually thought of as antecedent to repentance. People must be made alive before they can realize they are sinners.

How does regeneration happen? Is it by the Holy Spirit or not according to Lutherans and Reformed? If it is by the Holy Spirit and regeneration happens before repentance, wouldn't that mean a person gets the Holy Spirit before repentance, or does the Holy Spirit cause regeneration without indwelling in the person?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
How does regeneration happen? Is it by the Holy Spirit or not according to Lutherans and Reformed? If it is by the Holy Spirit and regeneration happens before repentance, wouldn't that mean a person gets the Holy Spirit before repentance, or does the Holy Spirit cause regeneration without indwelling in the person?

Regeneration happens through the Word and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0