Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I am not Christian, I follow the Old Testament. I attend mosque because it seems to me that many Muslims understand and follow the Quran. I gave up on Christians because they do not follow the New Testament. It seems to me that members of a religion should follow their own scripture, and if they don't then I can't respect them. Conservative Mennonites come fairly close. [Staff edit]. I am writing here because I feel that Orthodox Christianity has some hope. I know the Orthodox liturgy and it clearly contains the spirit of a good religion. So I want to know why you don't follow the New Testament.

To begin with, why don't most women cover their head in church as required in 1 Corinthians 11:5-6? In the Greek Orthodox church that I went to, a very few did but the great majority didn't. Why not?

Why is divorce so common among Orthodox Christians when Matthew 5:32 only allows it for sexual immorality?

Why is Orthodox Christianity in America so willing to conform to modern culture when Romans 12:2 says not to conform to the times? For me, this is the biggest issue. Modern Western culture is about as evil as Sodom and Gomorrah, so any religion that doesn't resist this culture is refusing to resist evil. Islam and traditional Anabaptists at least have the sense to recognise this evil. Why doesn't Orthodox Christianity?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,806.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why is Orthodox Christianity in America so willing to conform to modern culture when Romans 12:2 says not to conform to the times? For me, this is the biggest issue.
Can you be more specific? How do we conform to modern culture in ways which are problematic?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
You refuse to be a Christian because you claim we don't follow our own Scriptures, yet you don't see the irony in claiming to follow the Old Testament while admitting to attending a mosque?

Upvote 0

fschmidt

Oct 30, 2010
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Can you be more specific? How do we conform to modern culture in ways which are problematic?
Not separating the sexes in church. Using pews. These both violate the tradition of your religion.

You also refuse to address new problems. A sound religion would discourage television and modern electronic entertainment. It would discourage sending children to public school. It would warn about the evils of modern culture. Traditional Anabaptism and Orthodox Judaism do this which is why they are resistant to the evil of modern culture.

Upvote 0

fschmidt

Oct 30, 2010
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You refuse to be a Christian because you claim we don't follow our own Scriptures, yet you don't see the irony in claiming to follow the Old Testament while admitting to attending a mosque?
I have no intention of being Christian or Muslim. The question is which religions have my respect. The Old Testament teaches ethics and I support any religion that effectively supports morality. (See Jeremiah 35.) Both conservative Mennonites and Islam do this, but there are no conservative Mennonite churches near me so I attend mosque.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not separating the sexes in church. Using pews. These both violate the tradition of your religion.

You also refuse to address new problems. A sound religion would discourage television and modern electronic entertainment. It would discourage sending children to public school. It would warn about the evils of modern culture. Traditional Anabaptism and Orthodox Judaism do this which is why they are resistant to the evil of modern culture.

you're still being a Donatist. it's not good to be a Donatist.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am not Christian, I follow the Old Testament. I attend mosque because it seems to me that many Muslims understand and follow the Quran. I gave up on Christians because they do not follow the New Testament. It seems to me that members of a religion should follow their own scripture, and if they don't then I can't respect them. Conservative Mennonites come fairly close. [Staff edit]. I am writing here because I feel that Orthodox Christianity has some hope. I know the Orthodox liturgy and it clearly contains the spirit of a good religion. So I want to know why you don't follow the New Testament.

To begin with, why don't most women cover their head in church as required in 1 Corinthians 11:5-6? In the Greek Orthodox church that I went to, a very few did but the great majority didn't. Why not?

Why is divorce so common among Orthodox Christians when Matthew 5:32 only allows it for sexual immorality?

Why is Orthodox Christianity in America so willing to conform to modern culture when Romans 12:2 says not to conform to the times? For me, this is the biggest issue. Modern Western culture is about as evil as Sodom and Gomorrah, so any religion that doesn't resist this culture is refusing to resist evil. Islam and traditional Anabaptists at least have the sense to recognise this evil. Why doesn't Orthodox Christianity?
Jesus rose from the dead. Look to Him for eternal life, not yourself nor any followers.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It is a fact that every person, whatever their world-view is, know in their conscience that they have come short of what they know is moral law. They sense their own sinfulness even if they refuse to accept God's standards for holiness and righteousness.

If you are following the Old Testament, then you are obligated to keep the Mosaic Law without fault all your life, and that includes the past as well as the present and future. The Mosaic Law will tell you clearly that just one single infraction of the Law will lead to condemnation. Every Jewish person knew that, and that is why they offered sacrifices for sin once a year to cleanse them from their unrighteous acts throughout the year.

So, since the age of 14, you have sinned against the Mosaic Law and the Ten commandments, even in the smallest way, then you are in a state of condemnation and God will not know you when He comes to judge the living and the dead.

So, what are you to do? How are you going to satisfy the demands of justice, when public justice demands that because you have sinned, you have to pay the penalty? You will have to pay it, because there is no one who can pay it for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Of course there is One who has paid the penalty for sinners - Christ! But the sinner has to receive Him by faith. Our friend refuses to do that, so he is cut off from the only Person who can bear his penalty for sin.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Of course there is One who has paid the penalty for sinners - Christ! But the sinner has to receive Him by faith. Our friend refuses to do that, so he is cut off from the only Person who can bear his penalty for sin.
Thank you, brother.
Psalms 133
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
when brothers live in harmony!
It is like fine oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down Aaron’s beard
over the collar of his robes.
It is like the dew of Hermon
falling on the mountains of Zion.
For there the LORD has bestowed the blessing
of life forevermore.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, brother.
Psalms 133
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
when brothers live in harmony!
It is like fine oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down Aaron’s beard
over the collar of his robes.
It is like the dew of Hermon
falling on the mountains of Zion.
For there the LORD has bestowed the blessing
of life forevermore.
For people like our friend, we need to apply the Law to awaken his conscience and trust the Holy Spirit to convict him of his sinfulness. The effectual fervent prayers of righteous people are very effective in this. Once he is totally convicted of his sin and knows that he deserves the wrath of God and hell for his sinfulness, then he is more likely to welcome the good news of the gospel of Christ because there is no other way to ease his conscience before God.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,477.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You are indeed lost my friend. Lost in the old covenant and lost in your beliefs.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,563.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Since you live in Texas, I recommend you make a short trip to the Monastery of St Anthony in Arizona and spend a bit of time getting to know the monks there.

Saint Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery
4784 N St Joseph's Way, Florence, AZ 85132, USA
+1 520-868-3188
Google Maps

• Informative
Reactions: fschmidt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fschmidt

Oct 30, 2010
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
you're still being a Donatist. it's not good to be a Donatist.
I read about the Donatists. Their main point seems to have been refusing to forgive priests for previous sins. I am not like that. I forgive those who repent. Repent of your association with evil modern culture and I will forgive you. Get rid of your television and electronic entertainment. Never send your children to public school. Uphold the traditions of your religion, whatever they are, as a means of setting yourself apart from evil modern culture.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,563.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Get rid of your television and electronic entertainment.
You are using an electronic device to post on an internet forum...

Upvote 0

fschmidt

Oct 30, 2010
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You are using an electronic device to post on an internet forum...
I use a lot electronic devices, but entertainment transmits the values of the culture that produced it. So I do watch old movies from before modern culture went bad. But I do not expose myself to any entertainment produced by modern culture since 2000. It is pure evil and can only do harm.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read about the Donatists. Their main point seems to have been refusing to forgive priests for previous sins. I am not like that. I forgive those who repent. Repent of your association with evil modern culture and I will forgive you. Get rid of your television and electronic entertainment. Never send your children to public school. Uphold the traditions of your religion, whatever they are, as a means of setting yourself apart from evil modern culture.

you are judging Orthodoxy's validity in the same way the Donatists did. stop being a Donatist.

• Haha
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0