• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Do you feel isolated for being single?

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by David Cabrera, Jun 12, 2019.

1. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,245
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I talk about Church. Is your church mostly into families and there is no much room or programs for single ones?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 "Only Me!" Supporter

+2,903
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    Our church aims to be very inclusive of all people of different backgrounds. There are a lot of single people in our church too - I'm one of them and I've never felt as if I've been left out of anything.

3. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,388
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    It's a matter of how much I want to get involved.

But I might not get invited to more private things.

But I can trust God and see what He has me doing.

4. 1am3laine

1am3laine Active Member

+174
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I believe some churches help singles. Still, I feel isolated and sometimes your looked down upon because you don't have a husband/wife. They think something is wrong with you.

5. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) a pilgrim passing thru

+4,054
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Maybe. But life long celibacy isn't the norm. At best, American churches are training grounds to prepare singles for marriage and children. That or social hangouts where they can meet and get to know each other for those possibilities.

But if you were to talk to some of these people that hold these sentiments dogmatically, then you'll learn their brand of faith is consumer Christianity.
    There's nothing wrong with seeing a need in the church that needs filled. But the question is; are people going to take the initiative and fill that role themselves or just complain about it. I have no use for the latter.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. FaithLife1

FaithLife1 Active Member

+127
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I've been trying to find a church for a while now that's inclusive for singles, most churches aren't.

7. Fenwick

Fenwick LET'S GO IRISH

+6,623
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Nope. Not isolated at all.

8. THE W

THE W AFRIKANB0T

+2,393
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Single
    not at all.

9. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

+1,555
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Church seems to emphasize the fact that I don't have a typical family. It is only me and one of my sons who still lives at home. There's no spouse, extended family, or in-laws. Even most people who attend church alone seem to have family members to associate with outside of church.

10. ThisIsMe123

ThisIsMe123 Not sure

+317
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Mostly, they don't cater to singles. There are articles out there that express this.

I recall acouple of churches, even if they did have a singles group...it'd die off after 1 or 2 years. The lifespans of these groups are limited.

11. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+4,794
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    My group has two singles groups ... under 40 and over 40. But everything I know about other churches mine is an exception.

12. kittysbecute

kittysbecute Jedi Apprentice

+3,019
    United States
    Protestant
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Not really. I’ve never felt isolated because of that. There are plenty of opportunities to serve God whatever your age or family situation, etc.
    If your church is lacking in an area of ministry, why not start something?

13. Debbie3832

Debbie3832 New Member

+11
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    Perhaps churches, at least some, do tend to favor married people and families more than singles. However upon research it is revealed there are more single people, either through being widowed, divorced or never been married than ever before worldwide. Each one of us is on our own journey in life, and each is a human being married or not.
    If you're married that's great, but if you're single that's great too.

14. Rene Loup

Rene Loup A saved wolf among sheep. Supporter

+12,443
    Canada
    Christian
    Celibate
    Nope. My marital/relationship status does not define me and the only people who made my singleness a big deal would be non-Christians who put sex on a pedestal.

15. FaithLife1

FaithLife1 Active Member

+127
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I've checked out some churches and it was all married people and families and I was literally the only single person there, I just don't see how I fit in.

16. Pomegranate

Pomegranate we are the people of his pasture

+17
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    Only in terms of the social groups associated with the church. Married couples with children, and the elderly, are the groups that need tend to need that social support network so I don't feel particularly isolated by that. Given the reverend is a married man with children most of the sermons focus on family and marriage, but it doesn't mean I can't take something positive from them.

17. Sir Robbins

Sir Robbins Looking for peanut butter

+218
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    US-Libertarian
    I think most churches are into families. How many people do you watch walk in all by themselves? I can't recall (though it's been a few years since I've been and I was one of them) seeing them. I won't deny they exist as I was one but it seems rare these days and only getting worse. You have men who, like myself, don't want kids and such and become undesirable to church going women. It turns them off and then you have them go on the internet and cry "where have all the good, Christian men gone?" Churches rub singles the wrong way sometimes too. I quit volunteering after a few "incidents" of rather unfortunate dialogue about my schedule and serving.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,245
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Are most people in your church women?

19. Sir Robbins

Sir Robbins Looking for peanut butter

+218
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    US-Libertarian
    when I went there, mostly families but as far as those without kids, much more women than men.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. James of Arc

James of Arc Venomous Turtle Supporter

+1,266
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    The setting has nothing to do with how you feel. I know people that can have a thousand people around them and they still feel lonely.
    Even in a relationship you can be lonely if the other person is not your match.