Do you ever question if a feeling is you or the Holy Spirit?

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like I hear the Holy Spirit pretty good, but I just had something happen that I question is it me or is it the Holy Spirit.

We always listen to John Hagee (not a thread to bash John Hagee) - I have learned so much from his teachings.

When he gets on the money sermons, I do disagree with him and something inside me seems to flare up. We were watching him this morning and he made the statement 'if you don't have enough and are in need, you are not worshiping the God of Abraham, because he always provides more than enough for his children'.

I didn't take that too well and left the room. Now my question - is that me or am I hearing the Holy Spirit?

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Likely the Spirit of God bore witness with your spirit that his words were carnal, evil, misleading, grievous, and not of God.

I won't "bash" Hagee, but he is a teacher of dangerous half-truths. It is true that we can trust God to supply our every need, but by no means are we exempt from the sufferings of poverty. Christ Himself said, "foxes have holes, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." He also said, "it is far harder for a rich man to enter heaven than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle." Yet, Hagee has said that Christians have a duty to be rich. Somebody is lying, and we know it is not Lord Jesus. We also know that it is written of Lord Jesus, "He will neither shout nor cry out in the streets, nor shall he snuff out a smoldering flax nor break a bruised reed." Yet, this man and many teachers like him seem to delight in doing exactly that, quite often to thunderous applause.

Just because a leader is revered by his followers, it is by no means reason to follow him into a ditch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Most every minister (or person) makes statements from time to time that miss the mark.

We are living in a war zone and it is possible to experience hits in our provision. I do believe God will take care of us, but I certainly think it amiss to say that if you have an unmet need, you aren't worshipping God.

Sometimes it is through a lack of knowledge in an area, or something that might point back to us, but blanket statements like that (I feel) serve to alienate people.

I don't listen to John. I have heard good things about him, so I prefer to think he means well and accomplishes good works most of the time. I do think the whole thing about the Israel book profoundly missed the mark. Although I never heard the "cleanup" thing he doubtlessly did , I'm sure he re-traced his steps after hearing from many people.

God bless John for what he accomplishes for the kingdom. Maybe it's my own need of healing, but I prefer to listen to more gentler and kinder preachers. He always seemed to be a little "barbed" or edgy for me.

The most balanced thing on money I've ever heard was from Gary Carpenter. He has a whole feast of teachings available for read or download (to hear) that is the most grace oriented presentation I can imagine. God told him never to take an offering (not that this is wrong). Whatever need he had would be taken care of by the Lord, if he did what he told him. This (according to the Lord) is the most important thing you can do. Find out what He wants you to do and then do it. It makes for lively hope and faith and keeps the pipeline open and revelatory.

I heartily recommend a visit to his website Gary Carpenter Ministries - Serving the spiritual needs of God's people.

He's on youtube as well. I know you don't get out much, and he's always "on".

Generally speaking, people with holes in their understanding say things from time to time that offend people. This seems to be the case here (without knocking the good he's doing).

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like I hear the Holy Spirit pretty good, but I just had something happen that I question is it me or is it the Holy Spirit.

We always listen to John Hagee (not a thread to bash John Hagee) - I have learned so much from his teachings.

When he gets on the money sermons, I do disagree with him and something inside me seems to flare up. We were watching him this morning and he made the statement 'if you don't have enough and are in need, you are not worshiping the God of Abraham, because he always provides more than enough for his children'.

I didn't take that too well and left the room. Now my question - is that me or am I hearing the Holy Spirit?

I don't know if it was you or the Spirit, but it was accurate either way.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not forgetting the warning that many Christians have desired to be rich, and subsequently were "pierced through with many griefs." Even the rich young ruler was commanded by Lord Jesus to sell all he had and give the money to the poor. All throughout the Bible we have many warnings against the pursuit of riches, but nowhere in His testimony do you see God judging the poor for their poverty, even though we do see His judgment of the rich for their love and trust of monetary wealth.

How can anybody miss this contrast?

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
In our ignorance, we attach meanings to certain scriptures. Especially financial ones. The beauty of what the Lord is doing with Carpenter's ministry, is that He is going to re-establish the foundation of the churches understanding of finance - away from the standard sacred cows prevalent in the church today.

When learned line up on line, it makes perfect sense. A few cases in point:

People preach about how the widow's mite is a good example of giving; how she out-gave ever
yone by giving her last bit. The Holy Spirit had Gary "meditate the entire preceding chapter by assimilation". He read, and then re-read over and over again (prayerfully in tongues) where that section begins (sometimes goes back more than one chapter). Our chapter markers do not always indicate where a subject changes (btw).

By revelation, the Holy Spirit showed Gary where Jesus talked about how the Pharisees prey upon widows, literally as thieves. What the widow gave was a confirmation of what He had previously stated.
It was not an example of how we should give. God is not into eeking out the last dime out of His people. Yet that is sometimes how it is preached!

Another is tithing to avoid being cursed. The requirement of tithing (in Christ) is no longer on the church.
It was a point of law strictly enforced. Now we give freely what is on our hearts, without any manipulation. People point to Abraham as a pattern, but Abraham gave it ALL, not to get blessed, and it was as a witness to the King of Sodom that he might see that it was God who restored, and it is He who blesses (That he might have repented as well).

Not forgetting the warning that many Christians have desired to be rich, and subsequently were "pierced through with many griefs." Even the rich young ruler was commanded by Lord Jesus to sell all he had and give the money to the poor.
It's all about where your heart is. For the natural man, it is inconvenient to have great abundance because God calls upon those with abundance to give. If your heart is not in the right place, you'll hold to the one and despise the other (the Lord). He'd always be there asking you to give om that thing that you're really trusting in. The rich young ruler asked what he should do and to be perfect, it meant selling what he had (the thing he trusted in). Jesus never asked everyone in the Word to sell everything they had. Peter still had boats, a house, a wife, etc. Lazarus, Mary, and Martha had provision they served from.
As Gary points out, you have these seemingly conflicting scriptures about blessing, and then (seemingly) not having anything. There is an understanding to each one. Our lack of knowledge sometimes holds us in bondage.
All throughout the Bible we have many warnings against the pursuit of riches, but nowhere in His testimony do you see God judging the poor for their poverty, even though we do see His judgment of the rich for their love and trust of monetary wealth.

We see poverty as a curse. It's not having enough. The blessings and curses are pretty easy to distinguish.
We Solomon had wealth. It was not his wealth that caused him problems. We see where people come under curses and have problems because of their ungodliness.

It's where your heart is (what you're pursuing).
God is very generous and we must have something to be able to give. What's the point of plunking a couple of dollars into the plate, if the need is much greater? It's about meeting needs.

In a nutshell: God is working to take the love of money (a root) out of his people. He's working to establish a trust in Him as a provider (living by every Word that proceeds out of His mouth) == Manna stage.
He's working to bring us into full sonship (walking in the Spirit) and into our inheritance in the Spirit. This means every provision from the mind of Christ (all things that pertain to this life and godliness) and all that wisdom provides (it's not poverty!).

But it only comes to the willing and obedient listener and do'er of what He specifically tells you. There are levels of obedience, so there are levels of blessing we all walk in. The most important part of Carpenter's teachings, are how to develop your spiritual ear and to expect God to manifest and give clear guidance and instruction.

I'm very much in the manna stage in many areas.
We're established in some areas and enjoying that inheritance. But as God told Carpenter, rather than you working in the field (staking out your claim and provision - sowing in it specifically in order to reap a personal harvest), He'd rather have you realize that you own the very field you work in and that (based on Jesus' finished work), all of your needs would be provided for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I have a similar reaction to those type of sermons. but I usually make a distinction between my feelings and the Holy Spirit unless I am 100% sure it is the Holy Spirit.

I think it is fine to debate the issue using scripture , but we should be careful to not say it is the Holy Spirit unless we are sure.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
H

HereIstand.Todd

As to your specific question I cannot speak to. But I will tell you that God sometimes allows us to go through hardships to grow us. Also there are christians in third world countries that have little to nothing as far as matieral things but they are rich in His Spirit and are happier than alot of us rich americans are. Also those who are blessed in the church are to help those in need both locally and across the world.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe we can be in tune with the Spirit and sensitive to how the Holy Spirit feel in certain situations.

However we should also remember that our personalities, personal experiences (good and bad) will influence our thoughts too.

However you said that you generally like John Hagee's preaching, so it's not something personal you have against him. It must have been the Holy Spirit reacting to that one specific thing he said.

God Bless

:)

Upvote 0
D

Digout

Likely the Spirit of God bore witness with your spirit that his words were carnal, evil, misleading, grievous, and not of God.

I won't "bash" Hagee, but he is a teacher of dangerous half-truths. It is true that we can trust God to supply our every need, but by no means are we exempt from the sufferings of poverty. Christ Himself said, "foxes have holes, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." He also said, "it is far harder for a rich man to enter heaven than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle." Yet, Hagee has said that Christians have a duty to be rich. Somebody is lying, and we know it is not Lord Jesus. We also know that it is written of Lord Jesus, "He will neither shout nor cry out in the streets, nor shall he snuff out a smoldering flax nor break a bruised reed." Yet, this man and many teachers like him seem to delight in doing exactly that, quite often to thunderous applause.

Just because a leader is revered by his followers, it is by no means reason to follow him into a ditch.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Digout

Not forgetting the warning that many Christians have desired to be rich, and subsequently were "pierced through with many griefs." Even the rich young ruler was commanded by Lord Jesus to sell all he had and give the money to the poor. All throughout the Bible we have many warnings against the pursuit of riches, but nowhere in His testimony do you see God judging the poor for their poverty, even though we do see His judgment of the rich for their love and trust of monetary wealth.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

That's called a righteous anger because it stems from The Holy Spirit.

We will always need to fine tune our sensitivity to The Holy Spirit throughout our lives, so it doesn't bother GOD if we are asking The Holy Spirit to help us understand a situation, or to make sure that we are hearing Him and not acting on the flesh, etc.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do I ever question if a “feeling” is me or the Holy Spirit?

Not anymore. The Holy Spirit uses me at his discretion, not mine—he divides the gifts severally as he chooses. There are many times the Spirit has used me when I was not aware of it and did not know it until afterward. There may be times I have been used by the Spirit that I will not know about until I get to heaven. I do not need to know everything and I do not have to “feel” anything to be used by God. All I need to be is available. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0