Do you ever get tired of fat salaried pastors telling everyone else how they should 'serve' for free

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Especially when the part-time pastor is seen coming into the office at 10 am, taking a leisurely 90 minute lunch at noon, then leaving the office at 4. And you'd never see them volunteering if they were to quit. They'd sit at home on Sunday morning updating their resumes for the next PAID ministry position which they apparently feel they are entitled to cause they went to seminary and therefore fall into another category than the layperson who has been studying their Bible their entire lives and also knows it forward and backward but perhaps aren't as 'eloquent' at putting a sermon together. Nor is the pastor's schedule booked solid with counseling sessions like some sort of high priced psychologist.

"But....but...they have families to support!"

So do the part-time volunteers. They have other jobs. A few relatively rare pastors of smaller churches may work full-time at other jobs, like school teacher, but still get paid by the church. They aren't volunteering.

Everything everyone is doing can be made to be part-time. It's called LESS THAN 40 HOURS OF WORK PER WEEK!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Larniavc

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Do everything without grumbling or complaining.

Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.

Do not covet.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you don't like the way a church spends your money, or you don't think its eldership is modeling godliness well, prayerfully consider talking to them about it or looking for another church. Do not just go along because it's the easiest thing to do.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you don't like the way a church spends your money, or you don't think its eldership is modeling godliness well, prayerfully consider talking to them about it or looking for another church. Do not just go along because it's the easiest thing to do.
It seems that all the churches except for the smallest of 'house' churches meeting in someone's home have paid pastors. More and more those pastors are bellyaching about how not enough people are 'serving' for free. It's not that I'm so opposed to pastors getting paid if they are putting in the hours of real work that others can't do, as it is I am not understanding why they are so special in their own minds (and the minds of those who hire them) when it comes to volunteer ministry.

As best as I can tell, they're getting paid because they are viewed as being able to get up and talk for 40 minutes non-stop better than the guy in the pew who knows the Bible just as well but who people aren't as willing to listen to talk, though I have known Sunday School volunteer teachers who could easily fill in for the preaching pastor and do just as good of a job from the platform (if not better) and who I would sooner listen to than the pastor they're filling in for.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everything everyone is doing can be made to be part-time. It's called LESS THAN 40 HOURS OF WORK PER WEEK!
Anyone who would write such a post as this certainly has NO IDEA what goes into pastoring a congregation of any size. It is not part time. It is more like 80 hours a week.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As best as I can tell, they're getting paid because they are viewed as being able to get up and talk for 40 minutes non-stop better than the guy in the pew who knows the Bible just as well but who people aren't as willing to listen to talk, though I have known Sunday School volunteer teachers who could easily fill in for the preaching pastor and do just as good of a job from the platform (if not better) and who I would sooner listen to than the pastor they're filling in for.
Sermons are probably less than 10% of a pastor's job.

I called my best friend from highschool a couple of days ago. He pastors a small congregation in Michigan. He could not talk because he was in the ER. A congregant was in a very serious car crash and David was praying for him and trying to comfort and support his family who were also there.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Especially when the part-time pastor is seen coming into the office at 10 am, taking a leisurely 90 minute lunch at noon, then leaving the office at 4. And you'd never see them volunteering if they were to quit. They'd sit at home on Sunday morning updating their resumes for the next PAID ministry position which they apparently feel they are entitled to cause they went to seminary and therefore fall into another category than the layperson who has been studying their Bible their entire lives and also knows it forward and backward but perhaps aren't as 'eloquent' at putting a sermon together. Nor is the pastor's schedule booked solid with counseling sessions like some sort of high priced psychologist.

"But....but...they have families to support!"

So do the part-time volunteers. They have other jobs. A few relatively rare pastors of smaller churches may work full-time at other jobs, like school teacher, but still get paid by the church. They aren't volunteering.

Don't be around people who want to lead but don't lead by example. Sooner or later it will wear you down.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Especially when the part-time pastor

Is the pastor receiving a part time salary, or a full time?

What do you mean here?

Do you object to lay people volunteering, or simply object to the pastor not working as much as you think the pastor should?

And do you think all pastoral work happens in the office? Because that is the part you have described.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sermons are probably less than 10% of a pastor's job.

So if the average sermon is 35 minutes, multiplied by 10, that's 350 minutes of work per week, or 5.83 hours. A great part-time endeavor!
I called my best friend from highschool a couple of days ago. He pastors a small congregation in Michigan. He could not talk because he was in the ER. A congregant was in a very serious car crash and David was praying for him and trying to comfort and support his family who were also there.
That's a great part-time volunteer ministry function! The next volunteer hands out bulletins at the door. The next volunteer changes diapers in the nursery....etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It seems that all the churches except for the smallest of 'house' churches meeting in someone's home have paid pastors. More and more those pastors are bellyaching about how not enough people are 'serving' for free. It's not that I'm so opposed to pastors getting paid if they are putting in the hours of real work that others can't do, as it is I am not understanding why they are so special in their own minds (and the minds of those who hire them) when it comes to volunteer ministry.

From what I can tell, there are many who are discontented with the current consistency of the church. Many have walked away after not getting their needs met or even being abused. House churches are one way to deal with the problem. I'm partial to them myself. I yearn for the church depicted in the pages of the NT. But house churches have their share of problems as well.

I don't know the solution to this problem at this point. Clearly, something needs to change in the church. But I will say this frankly to you - beware of judgment and bitterness. It will soak up all your energy and waste your precious time. Either find a church you are comfortable in, or find a way to function in the church you're in. Too much focus on man is a losing proposition.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if the average sermon is 35 minutes, multiplied by 10, that's 350 minutes of work per week, or 5.83 hours. That's not just part-time, that's part-time on steroids!

That's a great part-time volunteer ministry function! The next volunteer hands out bulletins at the door. The next volunteer changes diapers in the nursery....etc. etc.
Of course. And part time plus part time plus part time plus part time equals MORE than full time.

If the average sermon is 35 minutes, you have to multiply that by 3 or 4. Most evangelical congregations have a Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Midweek service (or 2 midweek services)

Plus the pastor has to visit personally and get to know EVERY congregant. He has to oversee all the volunteers doing all of the other things going on at the same time.

If you want a good description of all that is involved, I suggest trying to find this book:
51QI7uD84kL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I am not sure if it is still in print. But it will tell you how much a pastor actually does.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Either find a church you are comfortable in, or find a way to function in the church you're in. Too much focus on man is a losing proposition.
Agreed. So far I've chosen the latter. The purpose of the post is to see if there is anyone else out there who feels the same way. And so far, no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0