Do you ever feel depressed because God is not using you?

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been a Christian for over 50 years. I am struggling over my disappointment in feeling that God doesn't want to use me anymore. Jail ministry has dried up since Covid. Not teaching Sunday School anymore. The only thing left is playing in a worship band at Church and honestly...that's not much of a ministry.
I guess that I assumed as I get older, I would be used more but it seems the opposite. I hope God hasn't given up on me?

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
To me if your Christian life is something like a scale where one side is obvious fellowship and assistance to others, and the other side is studying the Bible, commentaries, etc, then even if one side lessens the other should gain, no?

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been a Christian for over 50 years. I am struggling over my disappointment in feeling that God doesn't want to use me anymore. Jail ministry has dried up since Covid. Not teaching Sunday School anymore. The only thing left is playing in a worship band at Church and honestly...that's not much of a ministry.
I guess that I assumed as I get older, I would be used more but it seems the opposite. I hope God hasn't given up on me?
I think the ebbs and flows vary from person to person like most things in our Christian life. So It's impossible for me to know your own situation. But for me, I had a period where I wrote prolifically for several years, and then the Lord put an end to it and restrained me from doing anything for about 11 years. I learned the beauty of silence and prayer, and doing nothing to save myself during that time. The only way we can truly love others and serve them is to die to self, and be where the Lord is truly to be found. He says, "Where I am my servant will also be." If He leads us more into silence can we serve Him any more?

I think it is often how we look at use and service that really needs to change in many of us. He is often in things and doing things we least think He would be found. Stillness is the death nail to many. But it's often the very nail that needs to be driven. We live in a world where we are driven to do, and we find our identity and satisfaction there. But even He waited 30 years in silence and obscurity before He was sent out. Christianity today is built around religious service, ministry, programs, action. His life was built around one thing and one thing only, What His Father was truly doing. I think Christianity would do well to get back to a little more of that and less of the other.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it is a time for introspection, fasting and praying. being a musician you know that plateaus are reached in ability, and before moving forward a period of practice is required with perseverance. Maybe it's time to read Ecclesiastes. :)

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey.. not how God works nor thinks. He haha a spirit does not think like act like man. He has never once got tired of us. There are times it my seem like God is tired of us but its not Him its us. I mean are we doing what we want? How many times has He reached out over and over and we didn't wouldn't listen. He will stop asking until we come back and listen. There is no such thing as getting to old. Its simply asking then knowing He will make it happen. That desire came from where? Well WHO would be tilling you "God doesn't want to use you any more". :)do you see? GOD would never say that. So if the enemy can only lie then FLIP it and KNOW He is working on it.. praise HIM thank Him for it.

See if we doubt were like a ship tossed back and forth let not that man think he will get anything from God. He said if we know He hears us then we know we have the petitions/prayers we asked for. He told us what ever you ask the Father in my name He will do. OT delight your self in the lord He will give you the desires of your heart.. the catch there is "commit your way to the LORD; Trust in Him also and He will do it."

Did we catch the last part? "HE WILL DO IT". HE can not lie

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Every thing you do is use by Jesus if you do good work with intention in work in life you will be noticed, people will be aware, they will see what you do and hear what you say, even if it's not preaching people will notice. Jesus worked, Paul worked, both taught and i believe lived out their faith. People who are aware of spiritual things both in the good and bad side will be aware of you. Just shine Jesus through you in all you do, He will present opportunities just be aware you'll see. You've been a Christian for longer than i've been alive so i don't have to say things like put on the armor of God or anything like that, you already know all the answers. i'm just encouraging you to do what you already know

Upvote 0

port41919

Oct 31, 2022
Williamsport
✟9,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
God never gives up on us. My problem is that there is, or what feels like, pressure to make disciples. I am a helper and a giver but I do not have a clue as how to approach people with the gospel. The thought of it makes me uncomfortable. If I was put in a situation where the Holy Spirit nudged me to speak I would but that is rare. I am not around people a lot. I also have a mindset that what I do is not enough. That type of thinking is not from God. I share my gifts. I do what I can and know how to do. I think you are doing the same thing. God loves you!

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hope God hasn't given up on me?
That is as likely as Jesus forgetting you and not presenting you to God.

Yes things have retracted due to covid, but the economic situation means there are opertunities to serve those who don't know Jesus.

Keep in touch with the prison ministry, maybe in praying for the organisation and those who have been reached by the ministry.

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would second the thoughts of others here in using this time to develop a deeper relationship with Christ through prayer, and perhaps fasting if you feel led. You know as well as I do that He gives to His children who ask. So ask Him to show you.

I will pray also for you in that the Lord will show you the next steps to take in your journey with Him, and that your relationship becomes more intimate. I pray that God gives you the courage to change from your regular routine, if necessary, to walk in new ways with Him for His Glory. In Jesus name. Amen.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is bothersome that things have changed..

But decided to remain faithful no matter. That is no small thing.

In Eph 6 describing God's armor for us, it includes "....and having done all, to stand."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟52,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who is kept in perfect peace, with God Himself doing this, with God being a strong guard over one's mind keeping them in peace , in any/all Scripture by His Promise specifically ?

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟87,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, as a musician. When I gave my senior recital in college, I was one of the best in the world. I've played in a church orchestras. When it came time to do the Christmas program after all that rehearsal, they brought in a couple of hired guns on French Horns to do just the dress rehearsal and performances. Church music doesn't usually have sax parts written out, and in this case the orchestra director would just transpose horn parts to have the horn part covered by two altos. Once the real horns came in, I felt I wasn't really needed. They were playing the exact same notes we were on everything, and their instruments were more easily heard. I wanted to be more than just a warm body in a chair, making the group look bigger. I felt like my talent was being wasted by not doing more.

For years now, I've volunteered for various things after someone 'put out the call' for volunteers, and showed up only to see that they had more people than they needed.
Since that church, I've sung in a church choir, a new and challenging experience for a man who played a treble clef instrument and had to listen to CD's over and over to learn bass clef intervals. I did their Christmas service for three years in a row, but stopped attending that church.

I hate to see people have thoughts of 'He's not using me MUCH... all I do is this, that, or the other.' Doing anything is better than nothing, and I have to believe God is pleased if all you do is play in a praise band. I'd love to do that, but it's like pulling teeth in most churches to get the worship leader to take you on, or do an offertory solo. They hear 'sax' and immediately think, 'a raunchy, out-of-tune person who would destroy the CCM sound we're trying to get.' One worship leader admitted he wanted the band to sound just like the group who recorded the song that made the song famous. That doesn't include sax. Yet he allowed a violinist to play. She stood at the back of the platform and no one heard a note from her. But she got to participate. Maybe she gave more money than I did.

A friend of mine was the concertmaster in the local orchestra. He sat ALONE in the choir loft one Sunday, wearing a choir robe, playing by himself, and was never heard. Seeing that spoke to me, cause I could see his heart up there, not insisting that he make some sort of musical difference. His wife was the pianist. For most praise bands, every part is important, and they don't want a sax screwing it up. So they think. Whenever I got an audition, their attitude would change real fast. They'd want me playing solos for offertory. But I'm through pulling teeth trying to make that happen with some people. I'm tired of having to convince a higher authority to 'allow' me to participate, not even willing to give me an audition. One of them even said "With your talent, I wish you played guitar!" I bought a guitar and set out to learn it, but that didn't last long. I should have started learning it at the age of 12. I'm too old now to ever be good enough to make a difference. In the mean time, I have two horns locked in a closest, not being used, with chops totally out of shape. After 10+ years of large ensemble rehearsals, I can't take anymore. I'd rather do something else, anything, but rehearse boring horn parts I can sightread perfectly the first time. On the other hand, we were lucky to have parts. No worship leader I know is going to write out parts for anyone, when the whole group only needs chord symbols. It MIGHT get done with an assistant minister of music in a traditional setting, but it's rare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟52,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
We need training, to be trained, 'shepherded' by Jesus, in being as Jesus at home, at the grocery store, at the laundromat , at the park, at the library, at the bus stop, even at the mall? .... in a way so that when people see us , anywhere in town, or walking in the country, they may know we are followers, disciples , of Jesus, simply doing our duty as servants as He Did.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟92,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every phase of life, God is preparing for something new-if we are willing to accept his assignment. My wife and I are going thru a similar time. We attend a great church that "seems" to have all the positions filled. Add to that, we both have aged parents (both sets living, the youngest 88, oldest 98) that take our time as well.
We were musicians in our previous church, but it was a problem church, where nothing happened without pastor approval-and many things not very Biblical happened with his approval. It was as if the Lord himself pushed us out.
So, we are seemingly in spiritual 'limbo' right now. Listening for our name.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every phase of life, God is preparing for something new-if we are willing to accept his assignment
Good point.
---
We might get a new 'assignment/task'..several times.
- during our spiritual journey.
- We need to wait..for more clarity/detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Christian forum's are good place to plant seeds for God. You don't need church. Jesus taught out in the open or in temples. John chapter 21. Jesus told Peter 3 times to feed My sheep. Does Jesus care how beautiful a church looks??. God is concerned about our spirtual condition. Many people have no spirtual growth. The hirelings have failed in their capacity to nourish their flocks. The former rain is for new converts. The latter rain is the meat of God's word. After 25 years the congregation is still on milk bottles. Ephesians chapter 6, the flocks don't have gospel armory on. The hirelings have failed to teach Gods word. They are defenseless against antichrist lies and deception when he comes 6th trump. Ephesians chapter 6 to document. No, Jesus will not use hirelings for service. The hirelings teach tradition of men and false doctrine. A person can't serve satan and Jesus at the same time. Jesus won't use some people because they won't give up their traditions of men and false religion.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Rest is a valid spiritual activity as well.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Half a year since the OP penned the question - I wonder how things have panned out since.

A season of less intense activity can be preparation for a full cup later.

I have had to wait 40 years to share as I do - we under estimate His patient preparation - been a believer for over 60 years - nothing is wasted if you daily give all to Him.

Upvote 0