Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Too many depressing topics in the married section! Let's lighten things up people!!

Do you decorate for the Autumn? If so, what do you Do?
First year married so I'm excited to begin new traditions. We are caring for my husband's sister who is 10 ( long story short...My husband's mother died in August and we are helping out his dad by taking Rhiannon for awhile) life isn't exactly like a traditional newly wed lol
We have bought some mums and pumpkins...Rhiannon and I have created a pretty scene on our front step and in our front garden below the bay window. It's so pretty. I love Autumn.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, we don't. I get the impression that decorating for different seasons and things is much bigger in America than it is here. Here, it's really only Christmas that most people do that.

But besides, where I am, it's spring! I took this photo of a teacup of bluebells this afternoon... (I'm experimenting with trying some creative still life things).

21st September 2018 - Cup of Peace.jpg

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Saricharity

are you taking Rhiannon to any fall activities?

we like the church fall fest as they have a maze for kids, s'more making, wagon rides, bouncy house/slide, etc

fall is my fav time of yr as the temps cool and there's lots of free activities to do

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Fall is my favourite time of year along with spring, so I love getting dressed for it, but I love how much my wife loves getting decorated for it. So answer your question we kind of do lol

• Agree
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I get more excited for decorating for Christmas, because I love Christmas just throwing on the music and getting all of the lights up and all that - But getting decorated for fall is fun too.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes!!!! We put out mums and pumpkins and for halloween we make the porch "spooky". Our 3 year old is delighted. My husband goes hunting for the largest pumpkin he can find. His goal is to get one bigger than our 3 year old this year. We leave it out until the end of Nov. and then put it in the garden so it will go to seed. Then we have pumpkin vines!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@christine40

I'm still navigating my way around the area...I'm from Ontario and we moved to another province when we married. I have a great deal of respect for working mothers. I don't feel like I'm doing a great job balancing it all yet. :)
That being said, we plan to go to an Apple orchard tomorrow afternoon. Apparently, they have a maze and hay wagon rides and apple cider.
Hmm...a campfire with s'mores sounds lovely. I'll need to plan that idea in my husband's ears.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we plan to go to an Apple orchard tomorrow afternoon. Apparently, they have a maze and hay wagon rides and apple cider.
Hmm...a campfire with s'mores sounds lovely. I'll need to plan that idea in my husband's ears.
Nice! I remember doing those things back about 40 years ago. Lots of fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, how's the sukkah coming, Dave? The one time I've been in one it was basically a tent, which didn't look that hard...?

(Actually a very bittersweet memory for me. I'd gone to sit in the sukkah of a family of friends of mine; a couple with two little girls younger than mine. And that was the last time I saw the mother, as not long after that she died unexpectedly of a brain injury).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Decided to not put one up this year. :(
It is supposed to rain all week and sukkahs have open roofs by custom. So no eating or sleeping out this time around. It has been a slow steady rain for almost 24 hours now and it will continue thanks to a stalled out cold front.

But I do have my Lulav and etrog set so at least I can do the liturgical blessings every day.

The first dry day will be next Saturday, when we will be in the congregational sukkah for our service.

I have about 15 or 20 years worth of dried etrogs that I keep threatening to make into a string to decorate NEXT YEAR’S sukkah. But so far .... I will be adding 2018 to the collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had to google etrog; I didn't know you could dry a citron. Do you have to cut it up to dry out the middle?
No - I just leave it out and it dries over 2-3 months. It shrinks down to about 1.5" long by about .75 " dia.

Etrogs are not just any citrons. They have to have a particular shape and have a unique stem on the opposite end from where it is attached to the tree. There are only a few places in the world where they are grown. Most come from Israel.

The Peculiar History of the Etrog

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Too many depressing topics in the married section! Let's lighten things up people!!

Do you decorate for the Autumn? If so, what do you Do?
First year married so I'm excited to begin new traditions. We are caring for my husband's sister who is 10 ( long story short...My husband's mother died in August and we are helping out his dad by taking Rhiannon for awhile) life isn't exactly like a traditional newly wed lol
We have bought some mums and pumpkins...Rhiannon and I have created a pretty scene on our front step and in our front garden below the bay window. It's so pretty. I love Autumn.
No, we don’t.

I could say it is because God has made the autumn so beautiful with all the colors of nature that adding to it would be superfluous...but really, it is because life gets in the way (which really means I’m too lazy).

• Haha
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@christine40

I'm still navigating my way around the area...I'm from Ontario and we moved to another province when we married. I have a great deal of respect for working mothers. I don't feel like I'm doing a great job balancing it all yet. :)
That being said, we plan to go to an Apple orchard tomorrow afternoon. Apparently, they have a maze and hay wagon rides and apple cider.
I grew up in Ontario, too.

Apple picking, hayrides, cider...sounds good. There’s an orchard close to here that does some of that. Maybe I’ll take my wife later this week if the weather holds up. Thanks for the idea.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No - I just leave it out and it dries over 2-3 months. It shrinks down to about 1.5" long by about .75 " dia.

Etrogs are not just any citrons. They have to have a particular shape and have a unique stem on the opposite end from where it is attached to the tree. There are only a few places in the world where they are grown. Most come from Israel.

The Peculiar History of the Etrog

Ah, now I didn't realise that the Buddha's hand I've seen in supermarkets here was a variety of the same thing. We bought one once just to see what it was, but I don't think we had any idea how to cook with it!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love Ontario. I have a secret wish to move back someday, but for now, I guess I will be content in NB. It's pretty here too. Love the Autumn leaves.
I was in NB a few weeks ago visiting my kids (they are in university there), and my wife has family in that province. It’s a nice province.

I just arranged to take my godchildren apple picking on Thursday - should be fun.

Upvote 0