Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Mark 16:17-18 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Through Him we.....

1. Cast out devils = We teach truth and His truth dispells the devil and his deception...if....one has a love of the truth. Not all do.
John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Personally, I believe Jesus Christ was talking more about the literal casting out of evil spirits. For example:

Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a female slave who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her. Acts 16:16-18

2. Speak with new tongues = meaning the Holy Spirit reveals the meaning of His Word and we speak what we hear (not babble!)

Not sure I agree with this. I believe that this passage is about speaking in new languages without ever needing to actually learn it. After the descent of the Holy-Spirit at Pentecost, the apostles were able to preach the word of God to all nations (in different languages) through the Spirit.

All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:4

And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? Acts 2:6-8

3. Take up serpents and drink any deadly thing = We can face God's enemies (serpents) and drink their poison teaching. It won't hurt us as we have truth. We take up serpents every day...on forums, at work, on television, etc. We see and hear the poison they spew but we have Christ and through Him...truth.

Again, I respectfully disagree with this. I believe this is what Christ meant:

Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold. Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand. When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.” But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects. The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god. Acts 28:1-6

4. Lay hands on the sick = If the sick (spiritually sick) are willing to see and hear His truths then they shall be healed.

When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him. Matthew 8:14-15

I believe in the literal laying hands on the sick.:)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I believe Jesus Christ was talking more about the literal casting out of evil spirits. For example:

Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a female slave who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her. Acts 16:16-18

Not sure I agree with this. I believe that this passage is about speaking in new languages without ever needing to actually learn it. After the descent of the Holy-Spirit at Pentecost, the apostles were able to preach the word of God to all nations (in different languages) through the Spirit.

All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:4

And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? Acts 2:6-8

Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold. Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand. When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.” But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects. The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god. Acts 28:1-6

When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him. Matthew 8:14-15

I completely agree with your understanding of all of the above.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The “greater things” that can be done through us is the indwelling Holy Spirit, that was not given until after Jesus left the earth.
That's not something WE "do".
and it's not something
that Jesus "had been doing"

I tell you the truth,
anyone who has faith in me
willdo what I have been doing.
He will do even greater things than these,
because I am going to the Father.

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

"I tell you the truth.
The person that believes in me
will do the same things I have done.
Yes! He will do even greater things than I have done.
Why? Because I am going to the Father.
And if you ask for anything in my name, I will do it for you.
Then the Father's glory will be shown through the Son.
If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it."

Can you some examples of the same things you've done
and the greater things you've done
?

:cool:

I've never understood this, and as far as I know I've never performed a miracle even when my prayers were answered. I've seen a few though ;]

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never understood this, and as far as I know I've never performed a miracle even when my prayers were answered. I've seen a few though ;]
How exciting!

Just out of curiosity, Have you ever TRIED to ...
Do the things He did... ?

I've laid hands on the sick and they became well,
been doing that for more years than I'm going to
admit to here ;)
One lame walked even!
But never opened blind eyes or deaf ears.
(never tried though either)
Im just wondering if we're really believing
the Bible these days.
Thanks Nano.

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's odd that this woman was shouting truth and yet Paul "became so annoyed," or "so grieved." I guess the shouting irked him as it would most of us. ^_^ The spirit literally came out of her but could anyone literally see the spirit? It is spiritual.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Pentecost, as prophesied by Joel, fully came that day and continues today. To those that were then, as they are now, "in one accord," which is in Christ, that was the new tongue others heard in their own language. All were filled with the Spirit and given revelation but not all were given the gift of speaking in other languages. I am given revelations but I am terrible at other languages.

I guess the point I most want to stress is...it is NOT speaking bable but is to be understood. It is speaking as the Holy Spirit guides us in understanding of His Word. Does anyone today automatically speak many languages without some study? Perhaps that was the literal that was to be followed by the spiritual?

1 Corinthians 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

A literal serpent would literally kill us. :eek: A serpent, as in the offspring of Satan The Serpent, can be shaken off and not harm us.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

I too believe in the literal power of prayer and healing if it is His will but understand the spiritual healing to be The Reason we are here with Him working through us.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess the point I most want to stress is...it is NOT speaking bable but is to be understood.

No That makes no sense in light of ths hon:
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God;
for no one understands him..

It is speaking as the Holy Spirit guides us in understanding of His Word.
Again, see above.
I too believe in the literal power of prayer and healing if it is His will but understand the spiritual healing to be The Reason we are here with Him working through us.

Interesting but we've been spiritually fixed up big time.
We're in fact, a whole NEW CREATION.
OLD THINGS, are gone
ALL things have already become new.

So "healing" would be "healing" just like Jesus did.
And that's what Jesus did a LOT of.
Notice how it was so often on the Sabbath?
And the religious folks would get SO flabbergasted
with Him?
I wonder what He was trying to say.
A few things methinks. but all in love fo sho.
:bow:

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's not something WE "do".
and it's not something
that Jesus "had been doing"

I tell you the truth,
willdo what I have been doing.
He will do even greater things than these,
because I am going to the Father.
I was just referring to the greater things.

Humans only allow the spirit to work through them to do all the thinks Christ did, but was not not also deity living in and through Jesus the human?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's odd that this woman was shouting truth and yet Paul "became so annoyed," or "so grieved." I guess the shouting irked him as it would most of us. ^_^ The spirit literally came out of her but could anyone literally see the spirit? It is spiritual.

^ This^

I brought this up before, it has always made me curious why this woman in her promotion of the apostles was moving by a spirit of divination and by the same brought in much gain to "her masters" (in that very doing). Paul rebuked (this spirit) manifesting in this way and when her masters saw their hope "for gains" (through her) after this manner were gone then the apostles were dealt with (by them)

I will say no more, but I have a strong feeling on this one

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No That makes no sense in light of ths hon:
[/font]For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God;
for no one understands him..

You are seeing only one verse of that passage....

1 Corinthians 14:1-2 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
In other words...what good would it do anyone if "no man understandeth" us? :confused: We are to desire to prophesy which is to teach as He teaches us. If my English language is unknown to an Italian then what I say is worthless to him. God and I can commune by my thoughts but I can't prophesy which is what we are to do:
14:3-4 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
Are we to teach ourselves or...the church?

14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

Again, see above.

Interesting but we've been spiritually fixed up big time.
We're in fact, a whole NEW CREATION.
OLD THINGS, are gone
ALL things have already become new.

So "healing" would be "healing" just like Jesus did.
And that's what Jesus did a LOT of.
Notice how it was so often on the Sabbath?
And the religious folks would get SO flabbergasted
with Him?
I wonder what He was trying to say.
A few things methinks. but all in love fo sho.
:bow:

Jesus literally made the lame walk, the blind see, etc. Through Him, His Words, we are able to teach others and their eyes open, their ears hear. It is spiritual.
Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are seeing only one verse of that passage....

No, I saw the entire passage, I only posted one part for you to 'see' it.
But you do
n't "see" it, because you have preconceived idea and you see
it as you think it surely must mean. But a plain reading says that if
you speak in tongues you speak to God.
Evidently you think that would be a BAD thing?

In other words...
Why "other words" when it's so plain already?

what good would it do anyone if "no man understandeth" us?
Exactly! THATs why Paul said "in the church" he'd rather speak in plain speech.
Tongues like that isn't FOR in church.
There seems to be 3 operations of tongues, have you seen the tongues thread
lately? It's pretty informative.

We are to desire to prophesy which is to teach as He teaches us.
I think that TEACHING is teaching
And PROPHESY is prophesy. :)

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
Are we to teach ourselves or...the church?
EDIFY. It says edify :)
I'm talking about the ability to pray in tongues, or "In the Spirit" (1 Corinthians 14:14- 16) , speaking mysteries to God ( 1 Corinthians 14:2) and to edify (build up) ourselves (14:4.)
There's also a ministry gift of tongues, described in 1 Cor.12 and 14, which involves giving a tongues message in a public worship service, which is to
be interpreted (12:10). This is a powerful sign to unbelievers ( 14:22). This gift seems to only be given in certain situations, as the Spirit wills.
Therefore, not all Christians have this gift (12:30.)

Jesus literally made the lame walk, the blind see, etc. Through Him, His Words, we are able to teach others and their eyes open, their ears hear. It is spiritual.
Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Awesome!
And He did Literally make the lame walk and the blind see too.
And He did say we'd do what He did. (which would include
the physical AND the spiritual :) )
Wondering why you don't think He meant exactly what He said?
will do what I have been doing.

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I saw the entire passage, I only posted one part for you to 'see' it.
But you don't "see" it, because you have preconceived idea and you see
it as you think it surely must mean. But a plain reading says that if
you speak in tongues you speak to God.
Evidently you think that would be a BAD thing?

I speak to God as you speak to God...in thought and in prayer. Why would that be bad? However, no one else profits from that. My thoughts are unknown to you as yours are to me. Only God hears our thoughts so it is an "unknown tongue" to others and as such is worthless to others.

Why "other words" when it's so plain already?

To edifieth the church. :) Some see only the letter of the word when it is the spirit that is to be understood.

Exactly! THATs why Paul said "in the church" he'd rather speak in plain speech
Tongues like that isn't FOR in church.

Paul spoke many languages (he did NOT bable). His preference was for all he taught to understand what he was teaching. He said that if one is teaching others of other languages then they should have an interpreter. Otherwise who would understand? Who would be edified? Who would be comforted?

Tongues means other languages, unknown languages and does not mean bable as some denominations seem to believe. That isn't for anyone, anywhere, anytime and is a sham.

There seems to be 3 operations of tongues, have you seen the tongues thread
lately? It's pretty informative.

I think that TEACHING is teaching
And PROPHESY is prophesy. :)

To teach is to teach His word. To prophesy is to teach His Word as revealed by the Holy Spirit. Or...the spirit of the Word.

EDIFY. It says edify :)
I'm talking about the ability to pray in tongues, or "In the Spirit" (1 Corinthians 14:14- 16) , speaking mysteries to God ( 1 Corinthians 14:2) and to edify (build up) ourselves (14:4.)
There's also a ministry gift of tongues, described in 1 Cor.12 and 14, which involves giving a tongues message in a public worship service, which is to
be interpreted (12:10). This is a powerful sign to unbelievers ( 14:22). This gift seems to only be given in certain situations, as the Spirit wills.
Therefore, not all Christians have this gift (12:30.)

To bable, if that is what you are referring to, is not a gift. It is a misunderstood, mistaught, misconception of His Word.

Awesome!
And He did Literally make the lame walk and the blind see too.
And He did say we'd do what He did. (which would include
the physical AND the spiritual :) )
Wondering why you don't think He meant exactly what He said?
will do what I have been doing.

Okay. Let me know when you literally walk on water, literally make the blind see, literally bring somone to life once dead.

IT IS ALL SPIRITUAL IN NATURE. :)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I speak to God as you speak to God...in thought and in prayer. Why would that be bad? However, no one else profits from that. My thoughts are unknown to you as yours are to me. Only God hears our thoughts so it is an "unknown tongue" to others and as such is worthless to others.

To edifieth the church. :) Some see only the letter of the word when it is the spirit that is to be understood.

Paul spoke many languages (he did NOT bable). His preference was for all he taught to understand what he was teaching. He said that if one is teaching others of other languages then they should have an interpreter. Otherwise who would understand? Who would be edified? Who would be comforted?

Tongues means other languages, unknown languages and does not mean bable as some denominations seem to believe. That isn't for anyone, anywhere, anytime and is a sham.

To teach is to teach His word. To prophesy is to teach His Word as revealed by the Holy Spirit. Or...the spirit of the Word.

To bable, if that is what you are referring to, is not a gift. It is a misunderstood, mistaught, misconception of His Word.
Not sure where you learned this stuff but it doesn't line up with Scripture.

Okay. Let me know when you literally walk on water, literally make the blind see, literally bring somone to life once dead.
And you let me know when you decide to believe Scripture AS it's written.

IT IS ALL SPIRITUAL IN NATURE. :)
Good luck with that.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

What is spiritual? The literal casting out of demons?

If by "spiritual", you mean that exorcism is done through the Spirit, then I agree with you.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Pentecost, as prophesied by Joel, fully came that day and continues today. To those that were then, as they are now, "in one accord," which is in Christ, that was the new tongue others heard in their own language. All were filled with the Spirit and given revelation but not all were given the gift of speaking in other languages. I am given revelations but I am terrible at other languages.

I guess the point I most want to stress is...it is NOT speaking bable but is to be understood. It is speaking as the Holy Spirit guides us in understanding of His Word. Does anyone today automatically speak many languages without some study? Perhaps that was the literal that was to be followed by the spiritual?

1 Corinthians 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines. 1 Corinthians 12:8-11

As I understand it, the gifts (prophecy, healing, miracles, tongues etc) that were given to the Church by the Spirit are still around, even today. People are still being physically healed, physically raised from the dead, miracles are still happening etc..

A literal serpent would literally kill us. :eek: A serpent, as in the offspring of Satan The Serpent, can be shaken off and not harm us.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

..and yet Paul was not even affected by a poisonous snake bite during his travels? Do you believe that the LORD will keep those who serve Him from all physical harm till their job is done? For example, do you believe a man of God, if thrown into a furnace by the wicked, can walk in the fires unharmed as Daniel did? Or do you believe this is no longer possible?

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

If you believe in the literal healing of the sick, why is then that you seek to "spiritualize" the gifts of the Holy-Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^ This^

I brought this up before, it has always made me curious why this woman in her promotion of the apostles was moving by a spirit of divination and by the same brought in much gain to "her masters" (in that very doing). Paul rebuked (this spirit) manifesting in this way and when her masters saw their hope "for gains" (through her) after this manner were gone then the apostles were dealt with (by them)

I will say no more, but I have a strong feeling on this one

Thank you Fire....The passage has confused me in the past but I never really spent time in trying to understand. I appreciate your "strong feeling."

Acts 16:16-18 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
Even though this "damsel" was proclaiming truth in that instance, that these men were of God, the spirit within her was an "abomination" for through it she "useth divination."
Deuteronomy 18:9- When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Is this teaching that the damsel is much like "the woman" that misleads many today? She pretends to speak for God, mixing in truth as did the serpent, to entice others away from the true God and His Words? The woman sings, shouts, appears to be so holy each Sunday and yet under the facade lurks ungodly principles...traditions of men.

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure where you learned this stuff but it doesn't line up with Scripture.

And you let me know when you decide to believe Scripture AS it's written.

Good luck with that.

There is the letter of the Word, which is the milk and there is the spirit of the Word which is the meat. Both are true and will never contradict each other but as we mature He gives us greater understanding of what is written. He reveals the spirit of "whatsoever I have said unto you." All He has said is written but the Comforter doesn't teach us to read...He teaches us to SEE and HEAR....

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of Me:
Jesus is The Word. The Comforter testifies of that Word, He gives life to the letter.
2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
1 Corinthians 2:13-14 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Colossians 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I tell you the truth.
The person that believes in me
will do the same things I have done.
Yes! He will do even greater things than I have done.
Why? Because I am going to the Father.
And if you ask for anything in my name, I will do it for you.
Then the Father's glory will be shown through the Son.
If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it."

It says "SAME THINGS". S-A-M-E
So far we've seen only a couple of people that
are "doing" the "same things" that Jesus has done.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Yayyyy!

Are we walking in truth? Is there much of Scripture
that we simply ignore because it's too deep for us to
wrap our minds around? Or say that "it doesn't really
mean what it says" because we can't believe it could?
Or because some man told us it's not so?
I believe!

1 Kings 18:24 Then you call on the name of your god,
and I will call on the name of the LORD.
The god who answers by fire--he is God."
Then all the people said, "What you say is good."

...Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood,
the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.
When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried,
“The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”

Shine on "Little" Flock!

(Whatsoever you shall believe, you shall receive)

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Fire....The passage has confused me in the past but I never really spent time in trying to understand. I appreciate your "strong feeling."

Acts 16:16-18 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
Even though this "damsel" was proclaiming truth in that instance, that these men were of God, the spirit within her was an "abomination" for through it she "useth divination."
Deuteronomy 18:9- When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Is this teaching that the damsel is much like "the woman" that misleads many today? She pretends to speak for God, mixing in truth as did the serpent, to entice others away from the true God and His Words? The woman sings, shouts, appears to be so holy each Sunday and yet under the facade lurks ungodly principles...traditions of men.

I will withhold what I believe, just point out what I observe:thumbsup:

She had not the testimony of Jesus Christ (which is the spirit of prophecy) but the spirit of divination (in herself). She had her own (plural) masters (and was bringing these much gain) through that same spirit. Not with the gospel of Jesus Christ (or the testimony of Jesus Christ) but oddly through the promoting of the apostles as servants of the Most high God (as it pertains to they which shew us salvation).

It just goes to show you a spirit of divination can indeed promote the apostles (yet have other masters) who make (themselves) much gain off of her voice in that particular way.

Im glad this is shown, its not the testimony of Jesus Christ its a spirit of divination, and goes about promoting the apostles (and there are other masters making their gains through her in doing just this).

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Walking and doing the same as Jesus did? The Church will never do as Jesus did or greater then he did, until the Church first obeys God’s Word.

I truly believe that one has to walk as Jesus walked first, before he or she will walk in the power of God.

A sinner is not walking as Jesus walked. If one wants to do as Jesus did, it means one can’t be disobedient to God. Jesus was first obedient to the Father, so don’t you believe we have to do as Jesus did to be able to do as Jesus did.

Upvote 0