Do you believe this common Christian dating ideology?

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think your OP scenario is valid, at least in terms of the question you posed. But most believers are not going to want the Lord to micro-manage their affairs in such intimate details that this will come to pass.

The world has yet to see what God will do with a man fully consecrated to Him." - D.L. Moody

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Single Life

Apr 20, 2019
USA
✟22,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree but if I believe that God has someone for me it will work out in His time. I am not interested in looking. For Isaac was not looking and God gave him a wife. Of course it is in the back of my mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I totally agree but if I believe that God has someone for me it will work out in His time. I am not interested in looking. For Isaac was not looking and God gave him a wife.

We don't know if Isaac was looking for a wife or not. The Bible doesn't say. We know that his father did not want him to marry a local Canaanite girl. Rebecca was found on a trip specifically to bring Isaac a wife. This is in a culture where families did arrange marriages. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

I'd love to get married again. However, like you I am not looking but if I bumped into someone who asked me out, I'd definitely go on a date and explore a potential connection. The "no ways" aren't that complicated...illegal behavior like already married or drug use. Since you really don't even know what someone's true belief system is until you get to know them, I can't even say that I'd require to know that they were a Christian before the first date.

In the meantime, I am learning how to be satisfied as a single and seeing how God can use my lack of a partner to his glory and to bless my life.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can't even say that I'd require to know that they were a Christian before the first date.

I may not know the depth of their belief or its fruit but I would need clarity on their stance. I am happy to share a meal with someone who believes differently.

But when entertaining a prospect, I will address certain subjects before a meeting occurs. Faith can’t go ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If God wants you married he will provide just the right person for you.

Where does this common teaching come from? And what if people reject the "right person" because they don't mean some idealist expectation that so many seem to have on their "wish list"? I don't remember any huge obvious sign that my husband was "God's specific choice for me". I think more of what makes a good marriage is decisions made after you get married...and less about marrying the "right person".

If I believed in a God I might believe this, but I would believe it in one of 2 ways (or perhaps both at once).

First that He had a mate for me that fit HIS plans, not mine.

Second there is an old story about a flood and someone refusing help 3 times because 'God would provide for them'. In the end they die and when they meet God they ask why He abandoned them. His reply started with 'Three times I sent my servants...' This also if God has a mate picked there will not be glowing letters over their head. You will have to do your part in bringing things together.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God wants you married he will provide just the right person for you.

Where does this common teaching come from? And what if people reject the "right person" because they don't mean some idealist expectation that so many seem to have on their "wish list"? I don't remember any huge obvious sign that my husband was "God's specific choice for me". I think more of what makes a good marriage is decisions made after you get married...and less about marrying the "right person".

I put it in the same category of "It'll happen when you're not looking".

Second there is an old story about a flood and someone refusing help 3 times because 'God would provide for them'. In the end they die and when they meet God they ask why He abandoned them. His reply started with 'Three times I sent my servants...' This also if God has a mate picked there will not be glowing letters over their head. You will have to do your part in bringing things together.

Agreed....the whole "God will provide" across the board can't apply to every situation.

Ever hear of, "God doesn't help those, who don't help themselves?" Thus the reason the guy drowned.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think God does know what dating relationships will be healthy for us. There's definitely been times in my life where I've asked God whether I should tell a guy I have feelings for him or whether I should be open to accepting a date from him, and God has said "No". (And, I might add, not long after He says "No", something tends to happen that shows me why pursuing that guy in a dating relationship would not have been healthy, why I'm not ready for a serious relationship, or why the guy and I would be better suited as friends.)

But while I think God cares about who we date and who we marry in that He wants the people in our lives to ultimately draw us closer to Him, I don't think He necessarily has "the one" picked out for every human being.

The bolded:

I never understood this. Why would you need even entertain this? Go out with the guy, you don't need to consult God on just getting to know someone via a date. It's not a serious decision. Now if you were considering MARRYING the guy/gal or getting downright exclusively serious, then that's where I think you could go to God for this.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never understood this. Why would you need even entertain this? Go out with the guy, you don't need to consult God on just getting to know someone via a date. It's not a serious decision. Now if you were considering MARRYING the guy/gal or getting downright exclusively serious, then that's where I think you could go to God for this.

That may be true for some but not for others. Everyone approaches the subject differently. The gentlemen I engage with are more intentional. The same was true in secular relationships.

Their concern is the quality of the connection not the number of meetings. We view our time from a different perspective. We proceed at a slower pace and have less drama and horror stories to share. Our concern is fit. Not a meal.

For me, it’s a reflection of my upbringing and discretion. I don’t entertain everyone who wishes to be in my company. I need some idea of who I’m dealing with and value the presence of men who feel the same.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That may be true for some but not for others. Everyone approaches the subject differently. The gentlemen I engage with are more intentional. The same was true in secular relationships.

Their concern is the quality of the connection not the number of meetings. We view our time from a different perspective. We proceed at a slower pace and have less drama and horror stories to share. Our concern is fit. Not a meal.

For me, it’s a reflection of my upbringing and discretion. I don’t entertain everyone who wishes to be in my company. I need some idea of who I’m dealing with and value the presence of men who feel the same.

Right, but even still, I don't think praying about it would really contribute to just meeting up with someone. I find it unnecessary in a sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right, but even still, I don't think praying about it would really contribute to just meeting up with someone. I find it unnecessary in a sense.

Our relationship with God is personal. If her conviction is to seek His input before a date; she should. The Holy Spirit may have placed it on her heart in light of her makeup and experiences.

I don’t exclude Him. I want His input and guidance. Only God knows a man’s heart. If we fail to seek His wisdom in our interactions we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Reactions: Single Life
Upvote 0

Single Life

Apr 20, 2019
USA
✟22,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Like I said before if God wants me to court then it will happen according to His good will. Even in my late thirties it may seem impossible but God does the impossible so I am trusting in Him to do what best for me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I put it in the same category of "It'll happen when you're not looking".

It's Friday night and I'm sitting at home browsing CF. I'm certainly not looking for anyone at this very moment, so taking that statement literally and to a ridiculous extreme, I should meet somebody right now...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do believe in "the one" but I also believe timing is everything in regards to success. If you meet "the one" at the wrong time, you could, in fact, miss out on them. If you prefer your timing over God's, failure can be the result.

Just how I feel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I do believe in "the one" but I also believe timing is everything in regards to success. If you meet "the one" at the wrong time, you could, in fact, miss out on them. If you prefer your timing over God's, failure can be the result.

Just how I feel

What do you mean "your timing over God's"? And how do you tell the difference?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Just how I feel

And since my "one" died, does that mean I should just accept that my love life is over?

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2019
USA
✟478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
God knows and understands your situation. I am all for romantic relationships and know that God blesses people with marriage yet some people go into it with the wrong reasons. If dating is a gift of God them why do people who are Christian have marriage that don’t work out? Anyways it is not for me.

Upvote 0