Do You Believe That There's Life On Other Planets?

Do You Believe That There's Life On Other Planets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan1988

Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Ah yes, I see.

@Dan1988, do you think that the things you listed in post 490 or how they affected your interest in science have any relevance on the existence of extra-terrestrial life?
I haven't gone back to check that post, but I lost interest in man made science when I found out it was nothing more than a theory and I place theories in the fairy tail basket. You know that basket, it's the same one as the opinion basket and we know what opinions are like don't we.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
All that your 'explanation' shows is that you really don't understand what the theory of evolution says.

And no, there is no atheist religion. What you have just said is an oxymoron.
I'll bet you any money that Atheism is a religion. The definition of religion is to believe in something unseen, Atheists believe that everything came from nothing and that takes a lot of faith to believe in.

Christians believe that everything did came from somewhere, so I believe that to be logical and the other to be utterly illogical.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,757.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'll bet you any money that Atheism is a religion. The definition of religion is to believe in something unseen, Atheists believe that everything came from nothing and that takes a lot of faith to believe in.

Christians believe that everything did came from somewhere, so I believe that to be logical and the other to be utterly illogical.

Atheism is not a religion since the definition of atheism is the lack of belief in religion. Your description is akin to saying "I don't collect stamps, and that's a hobby"

Buddy, you're obviously not here to have any sort of good faith debate in any sort, so I'm just going to put you on my ignore list.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Atheism is not a religion since the definition of atheism is the lack of belief in religion. Your description is akin to saying "I don't collect stamps, and that's a hobby"
More like, "I don't believe in stamps, and that's a hobby."

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Here am I having to explain something I don't believe in to someone who does. Don't they teach you guys what "evolution" means in your atheist religion.
Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby (hint: it's not). We just don't believe in a god or gods; that's all.

The word evolutions comes from the word "evolve", now the word evolve denotes something which is undergoing a correction process or it's in the process of becoming better or superior to what it was before.
The context of this thread is life, and 'evolution' here means biological evolution, i.e. the fact of evolution and the theory that explains it. Biological evolution is the process by which populations of creatures tend to become better adapted to their circumstances. Superiority, in this respect, is simply having a reproductive advantage.

I noted that this theory of evolution cannot be true, because we're seeing the exact opposite happening before our eyes. People get old wrinkly and ugly, then they die. We see the same thing in the natural world, everything is in the process of degeneration and decay.

Having to explain the bleeding obvious, is like extracting teeth and they will also decay.
You claimed to be a scientist, but apparently it was not the biological sciences. People get old wrinkly and ugly, then die as part of the evolutionary process. Not all organisms work this way, but the more complex ones do, for a variety of reasons. Evolution, by its nature, takes many generations.

You claimed to be a scientist, but it clearly wasn't the physical sciences. Degeneration and decay is a feature of our universe (increasing entropy, the 2nd law of thermodynamics), and life leverages the decay of low entropy energy sources (e.g. the sun) to generate complexity and temporarily reduce local entropy by increasing overall entropy; i.e. life consists of dissipative systems. For every high energy photon that impinges on Earth, around 20 low energy photons are radiated back out.

Out of curiosity, what is/was your field of science?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
There may be some atheists that believe that, but there are plenty that think there has always been something, and probably even more that neither know nor care.

For those that define 'logic' as 'what Christians believe', that is logical(!). For everyone else, it's begging the question - not to mention that Christian beliefs differ widely enough that a logic based on Christian belief would necessarily be at least partly self-contradictory, and so - illogical...

Perhaps you want to restrict the logic claim to God as creator - i.e. special pleading?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby (hint: it's not).
That's not a good analogy.

Atheism is a religion like not believing stamps exist is a religion.

But stamps do exist.

Want evidence?

1. post offices
2. books of stamps
3. letters getting delivered
4. rules and regulations governing them
5. stamp collectors
6. debates over them
FrumiousBandersnatch said:
People get old wrinkly and ugly, then die as part of the evolutionary process.
I was under the impression that populations evolve, not individuals.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
That's not a good analogy.

Atheism is a religion like not believing stamps exist is a religion.

But stamps do exist.

Want evidence?

1. post offices
2. books of stamps
3. letters getting delivered
4. rules and regulations governing them
5. stamp collectors
6. debates over them
It's a simple folk aphorism; don't overthink it. Collecting stamps is a hobby; not collecting stamps is not a hobby. Believing in a god or gods is religion; not believing in a god or gods is not religion.

I was under the impression that populations evolve, not individuals.
That's right; but populations consist of individuals; as part of the process of evolution they are born, mature, reproduce, get old, and die. What happens to individuals is not evolution; what happens to a population of individuals over many generations, is evolution. Evolution is defined in terms of overall change in a population over generations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a simple folk aphorism; don't overthink it. Collecting stamps is a hobby; not collecting stamps is not a hobby. Believing in a god or gods is religion; not believing in a god or gods is not religion.
That's the problem though.

You can't equate theology with hobbies.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,757.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

Okay, so let's keep it simple: atheism is the word used to describe someone who doesn't believe in a religion.
Simple enough?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,600.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. Believing in a god or gods is religion; not believing in a god or gods is not religion.
Religions are built upon beliefs and ruling out the possibility of a deity, requires a belief.

That's right; but populations consist of individuals; as part of the process of evolution they are born, mature, reproduce, get old, and die.
Not necessarily .. for example; human individuals may choose to reproduce, or not to reproduce. Evolution in a given non-reproducing human population, would therefore not be an attribute of that population.

A reproducing population will however, over time, exhibit evolution.
Reproduction appears to be instinctive for other species .. thus evolution would be evident across that population.

What happens to individuals is not evolution; what happens to a population of individuals over many generations, is evolution. Evolution is defined in terms of overall change in a population over generations.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist

Firstly, religion, or a belief in a god or gods, isn't theology (as you surely know); secondly, not believing something isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief; thirdly, analogies compare similarities between situations and, potentially, the roles of the elements in that context, they don't equate the elements, that would be nonsensical (religion isn't a hobby).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Religions are built upon beliefs and ruling out the possibility of a deity, requires a belief.
Atheism doesn't rule out the possibility of a deity. Some atheists believe a deity doesn't exist, but that's in addition to not believing in one (sometimes called strong or hard atheism). OTOH, agnostics and weak or soft atheists don't deny the possibility of a deity, but don't believe in one because they don't know or don't think it's possible to know if one exists.

Not necessarily .. for example; human individuals may choose to reproduce, or not to reproduce. Evolution in a given non-reproducing human population, would therefore not be an attribute of that population.
Yes; but I was explicitly talking about them "as part of the process of evolution..."

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟78,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is not for everyone, it's founder said that very few will follow it. He said the vast majority are going to burn in hell, so what's the point in lying to folks and taking them to hell in a hand basket.

Or you are a stumbling block...

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Ah yes, I see.

@Dan1988, do you think that the things you listed in post 490 or how they affected your interest in science have any relevance on the existence of extra-terrestrial life?
After I read post 490 I became convinced that he’s just messing with everyone, it was too over the top IMO

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I haven't gone back to check that post, but I lost interest in man made science when I found out it was nothing more than a theory and I place theories in the fairy tail basket. You know that basket, it's the same one as the opinion basket and we know what opinions are like don't we.

Yeahj, you know that theory doesn't mean that, right? Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.