Do You Believe That There's Life On Other Planets?

Do You Believe That There's Life On Other Planets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
What does the scale of the universe have to do with the question? answer Nothing.
Or answer: you claimed it was a proven fact that no life exists in a Universe of billions of galaxies with billions of stars each.

I'd be interested in the evidence and reasoning you had to present... but conviction is not evidence.

I posses the truth, so I don't need to stumble around blindly. Those who don't know the truth feel compelled to invent a theory, using their wild imagination. This is pure fantasy, usually ascociated with immature adolescence.
Still more arrogance and insults... but no evidence or reasoning beyond your personal convictions from your personal religious preferences.

If you ever get the chance to educate yourself about the basic of biology, you will quickly realize that biological life requires thousands of environmental factors to exist simultaneously. I don't have the time to list them for you but I will mention just a few to help you on your way. 1. Oxygen, 2. Water, 3. Vitamins & minerals, Protein etc you get the picture.
More arrogance... and this cuts to my statement about the scale of the universe. We know for a fact that most of these materials exist all over the place in the universe. (And they aren't even all necessary for some life on Earth.

No true Christian would ever accept "pseudo science" over scripture. So called science, is nothing more than fantasy. It's just a theory which has never been proven and it keeps changing and contradicting itself every single day. Scientists have never moved off first base, they're still stuck where they started. They can't answer one single question, let alone explain complexed questions.
You are violating forum rules... and relegating Christianity to being a tiny minority religion.

The majority of Christians in the western world don't have a problem with accepting science and maintaining their Christian faith.

It doesn't appear that you were arguing in good faith. You were initially talking about proven facts and, necessary chemicals... now I see comparisons with Scripture (or a particular interpretation) and phrases like, "Scientists have never moved off first base".

I don't think you have any evidence at all... and I don't think you really care.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, the irony!

More irony... You don't need the basics of biology to know that oxygen, water, minerals, and the building blocks of protein (amino acids) are commonplace in the universe; as a biology graduate, I can tell you that most simple organisms either don't need vitamins or make their own (where do you think vitamins come from?). If you had a basic biology education, you'd know that oxygen was extremely toxic to the earliest organisms on Earth, as it still is to many.
I see you've gone off with the fairies here, your idea of life is some slimy pond scum. So yeah, I'll stick to reality and real life as in human and spirit and your welcome to wallow in pond scum to your hearts content.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I see you've gone off with the fairies here, your idea of life is some slimy pond scum. So yeah, I'll stick to reality and real life as in human and spirit and your welcome to wallow in pond scum to your hearts content.

Do animals not count as live?
Live on other planets doesn't refer to "human-like beings". I'd count seeing something that just waddles around like a duck on a planet that's not in our solar system and go "Yup, that's an alien".

And cool off on the arrogance. It's not a good look.

• Winner
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Or answer: you claimed it was a proven fact that no life exists in a Universe of billions of galaxies with billions of stars each.

I'd be interested in the evidence and reasoning you had to present... but conviction is not evidence.

Still more arrogance and insults... but no evidence or reasoning beyond your personal convictions from your personal religious preferences.

More arrogance... and this cuts to my statement about the scale of the universe. We know for a fact that most of these materials exist all over the place in the universe. (And they aren't even all necessary for some life on Earth.

You are violating forum rules... and relegating Christianity to being a tiny minority religion.

The majority of Christians in the western world don't have a problem with accepting science and maintaining their Christian faith.

It doesn't appear that you were arguing in good faith. You were initially talking about proven facts and, necessary chemicals... now I see comparisons with Scripture (or a particular interpretation) and phrases like, "Scientists have never moved off first base".

I don't think you have any evidence at all... and I don't think you really care.
I could show you all the hard evidence, but it would be like describing the colors of the rainbow to a person who was born 100% blind.
Nobody can receive the truth or relate to it, unless it's in them to begin with. The truth is foolishness to those who are perishing.

All I can suggest is that you seek the truth and if the truth Himself gives you to you then you wouldn't need to scratch around in the darkness clutching at straws.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Do animals not count as live?
Live on other planets doesn't refer to "human-like beings". I'd count seeing something that just waddles around like a duck on a planet that's not in our solar system and go "Yup, that's an alien".

And cool off on the arrogance. It's not a good look.
Animals are living biological creatures, so it's impossible for them to exist outside of the earth. I suggest folks educate themselves about space, it's packed with ultra high levels of radiation. The earth is the only planet which is not poisoned with radiation.

I don't appreciate people who build straw man arguments, just because it may sound exciting. Lets stick with the facts.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Animals are living biological creatures, so it's impossible for them to exist outside of the earth. I suggest folks educate themselves about space, it's packed with ultra high levels of radiation. The earth is the only planet which is not poisoned with radiation.
Considering that we don't know how many planets there are in the universe much less what their condition is like, that seems a rather rash statement.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

I don't appreciate people who build straw man arguments, just because it may sound exciting. Lets stick with the facts.

Except that you don't have any proof your own straw-man being true except an asinine claim that you cannot back up. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And you're not quoting any facts. All you are doing is spewing out clam after claim.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Lol! So you've made up your own definition of life? Sadly, in science, you can have your own opinions, but you don't get to have your own definitions.

Of course, if you knew any biology, you'd know that pond scum and slime are rich in single-celled life. Given that around half of your body cells are non-human single-celled life, your supercilious attitude is a joke on you - Dunning & Kruger would be proud...

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Did you not know that Earth microbes have survived three years on the ISS, exposed to the vacuum and radiation? Even the common multicellular Tardigrades can survive 10 days in space.

Having said that, nobody expects life to develop in outer space, but there are many planets that provide conditions where life could potentially arise and thrive safe from deadly radiation.

You don't seem to know the facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
FrumiousBandersnatch said:
You don't seem to know the facts.
Facts, eh? .. Ok then .. So check this out:
Some Planets May Be Better for Life Than Earth: Researchers Identify 24 Superhabitable Exoplanets
Earth is not necessarily the best planet in the universe. Researchers have identified two dozen planets outside our solar system that may have conditions more suitable for life than our own. Some of these orbit stars that may be better than even our sun.
and so:
“It’s sometimes difficult to convey this principle of superhabitable planets because we think we have the best planet,” said Schulze-Makuch. “We have a great number of complex and diverse lifeforms, and many that can survive in extreme environments. It is good to have adaptable life, but that doesn’t mean that we have the best of everything.”
Is that a straw man argument based on facts? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I could show you all the hard evidence, but it would be like describing the colors of the rainbow to a person who was born 100% blind.
Nobody can receive the truth or relate to it, unless it's in them to begin with. The truth is foolishness to those who are perishing.

All I can suggest is that you seek the truth and if the truth Himself gives you to you then you wouldn't need to scratch around in the darkness clutching at straws.
So all your declarations about possibility were simply your religious conviction after all?

Disappointing and dishonest.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Considering that we don't know how many planets there are in the universe much less what their condition is like, that seems a rather rash statement.
That's true for those who don't know the One who created every single atom in the universe. I know Him and He told us what He created, so I'm sorry to disappoint you but He never created any other planets with life on them.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Except that you don't have any proof your own straw-man being true except an asinine claim that you cannot back up. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And you're not quoting any facts. All you are doing is spewing out clam after claim.
The problem with stating facts is, how would you know they're facts. See it all comes down to knowing the difference between lies and the truth.

There are only 2 types of people, the children of God and the children of the Devil. The children of God know the truth because God is the truth, but the Devils children cannot receive the truth because they have been blinded by their father.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
There are only 2 types of people, the children of God and the children of the Devil.
My father was a human .. so there must be at least another of your 'types of people'.
Dan1988 said:
The children of God know the truth because God is the truth, but the Devils children cannot receive the truth because they have been blinded by their father.
I was enlightened by my father .. you have not been told the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
That's true for those who don't know the One who created every single atom in the universe. I know Him and He told us what He created, so I'm sorry to disappoint you but He never created any other planets with life on them.
You should lead with this kind of comment. It makes it clear why and how you form your beliefs about science and the universe.

When you use language that implies that scientific facts are what led you to your conclusions you are misleading people you are trying to communicate with.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You should lead with this kind of comment. It makes it clear why and how you form your beliefs about science and the universe.

When you use language that implies that scientific facts are what led you to your conclusions you are misleading people you are trying to communicate with.
Nothing in man made science, can be proven. There are no man made scientific facts, human scientists just have theories. They have no claim to any facts, their experiments always blow up in their face.

Scientists don't have a clue, when it comes to the basics. They have never created or invented a single speck of dust, they can't even be sure if any of their experiments can be repeated. God takes pleasure in frustrating their efforts to understand the very basic ABC's, so scientists will remain in the dark forever if God doesn't reveal anything to them.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nothing in man made science, can be proven. There are no man made scientific facts, human scientists just have theories. They have no claim to any facts, their experiments always blow up in their face.

Scientists don't have a clue, when it comes to the basics. They have never created or invented a single speck of dust, they can't even be sure if any of their experiments can be repeated. God takes pleasure in frustrating their efforts to understand the very basic ABC's, so scientists will remain in the dark forever if God doesn't reveal anything to them.

Proof was never the goal. It's about evidence and models.

But really, stating something like there is for sure no life elsewhere in the universe seems to be a pretty flimsy stance, because if life is discovered elsewhere in the universe, what are you going to do then? Renounce your faith? Whereas lots of Christians would have no problems with it.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Lol! So you've made up your own definition of life? Sadly, in science, you can have your own opinions, but you don't get to have your own definitions.

Of course, if you knew any biology, you'd know that pond scum and slime are rich in single-celled life. Given that around half of your body cells are non-human single-celled life, your supercilious attitude is a joke on you - Dunning & Kruger would be proud...
Your welcome to trust in man made science, I have nothing but utter contempt for it. I refuse to lend my mind to some crazy unproven bunch of wild theories.

When scientists can produce a single speck of dust, or answer some basic questions of a 3 year old child, I'll leave them in their fantasy world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.