Do you believe that Masturbation a Sin?

Do you believe Masturbation to be a sin

• Yes

• No

• I've never given it any thought

• You sicko, you'll burn in hell for even trying to discuss such human behaviors

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
:eek: :(

Somebody had to bring it up.  My 'hardcore, christian fundamentalist' training as a child never covered this topic.

The subject was brought up briefly in the mens forum..so I decided it was A VALID religious question.  If you're offended...go study human behavior, psychology, physiology & biology.  I make no apologies.  Please vote and comment as you see appropriate.  I've heard and read all the 'fornication and adultry' arguments.  Now it's time to cover this topic.

hmm.. I would say it is a sin.. it is a form of adultery.. you are sleeping with yourself, sex by definition is the ultimate form of worship, you and your partner uniting to worship God.. so touching yourself as something you do without your partner is a form of adultery..

lemme ask you this question

why do you think we get so embarrased about talking about it? I havent met anyone who doesnt, christian or none christian. That would suggest that it was "innappropriate" most things we find inappropriate are sinful..

just a though..

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Am,
As an advocate of mental health, working with disturbed children, and a very high interest in human behavior...I don't find it disturbing or inappropriate to talk about.

Lemme elaborate on some possible scenarios, assuming I take the same position on the topic as you:

1. If you touch thinking of your spouse...would that be a sin?
2. If masturbation is a sin...then wouldn't 'wet dreams' be sinful as well?
3. How can we be held accountable for our dreams?
4. How can you classify masturbation as adultry?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is a sin.

THE CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Part 3, Section 2, Chapter 2, Article 6, SubSection 2, Heading 4

By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."

"The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Smilin
Interesting Souljah,
I've had very little exposure to the Catholic beliefs,
yet...i find it interesting they actually wrote on the topic.

Yep, anything important that we belive is in the Cathechism.

You can search here if you are interested:

http://www.kofc.org/faith/catechism/catechism.cfm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by Amatire
hmm.. I would say it is a sin.. it is a form of adultery.. you are sleeping with yourself, sex by definition is the ultimate form of worship, you and your partner uniting to worship God.. so touching yourself as something you do without your partner is a form of adultery..

lemme ask you this question

why do you think we get so embarrased about talking about it? I havent met anyone who doesnt, christian or none christian. That would suggest that it was "innappropriate" most things we find inappropriate are sinful..

just a though..

Most people are uncomfortable and embarassed to talk about normal elimination functions...does that make urination sinful? Most people are uncomfortable speaking about various grooming necessities...does that make nose hair and ear wax sinful?

Masturbation is the safest of sex, it releases sexual tension without involving other people and may keep teens from having sex so young, or sexually frustrated men from engaging in casual sex or molesting young boys in the case of some clergy, or women from using their sexuality as some sort of weapon. The human body becomes sexually mature during the teen years and expects some sort of outlet for it's natural sexuality...bottling that energy up is dangerous IMO.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hmm.. I would say it is a sin.. it is a form of adultery.. you are sleeping with yourself, sex by definition is the ultimate form of worship, you and your partner uniting to worship God..

Y'know, I've never been told this before, and I've even been told that any intermingling between sex and religion is idolatry.

I don't think sex is "by definition" the ultimate form of worship. I'm not even sure it's worship at all. Bonding, maybe. A side-effect of being human, maybe. Worship? Not for me, anyway, any more than anything else I do because that's how my body is built is worship. (I admit that a case could be made for eating garlic as a kind of worship.)

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Taken from Sexual and Reproductive Health Magazine:

Young men’s knowledge, attitudes and behaviours about STDs and risks:

Several recent studies found that young men generally know little about their own or their partner’s sexuality, hardly communicate with their partners, have misconceptions regarding masturbation
and condom use, and do not think about family planning.5 3 9

Which will be a topic for another thread later......Should such matters be taught in our public schools?

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
hmm.. I would say it is a sin.. it is a form of adultery.. you are sleeping with yourself,

errr...No I would disagree, it's a self-gratification act...yes,

but I'm positive it involves imagining another partner.....

So...if you were imagining your spouse...would it still be sinful?

:confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
oooh a toughie... hmmm

lemme think about this one for a minute

hmmmm

hmmm

well.. have you ever read any of CS lewis' books? in one of them he describes the fall like this.. the serpent doesnt persuade eve to eat an apple, he persuades her to look into a mirror. All of a sudden she is aware of "self" her own ego.. but it is an image of herself not the real thing.. so she is somehow violated by that.. I dunno maybe its all wrapped up in a mixture of self - as in putting yourself first and "the image" as in a graven image not God.. even when we imagine God and we picture him as.. erm like an axe wielding maniac in the sky... we are somehow commiting idolatry..

images are bad.. (uh oh that could be misinterpreted, I aint against tv honest! *runs over to kiss tv set and make up*) but my point is.. that living in a fantasy world just pushes you further and further away from reality.. personally I have struggled with where "idolatry" begins, and my impression that I got from God was that it is better to love reality.. I dont think we were ever meant to be "self aware" or have images of ourselves.. in the garden of eden all we were aware of was God and each other.. when you imagine your partner. you arent really "knowing" the real person, you are exalting an image of them which is bound to be in some way or other a false impression.. and then each time you do it you are bolstering that image and reaffirming it, rather than discovering your husband/wife for who they really are..

sex is about discovering your partner.. finding out who they are and drawing close.. you dont do your relationship any favours if you are imagining them and not with them in reality.. sooner or later you are going to begin to prefer the image to the real thing..

hehe, it doesnt talk back for one!

umm just reread that and Im not sure if I made sense.. but erm... never mind.. its late and my brain is frazzled.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Another scenario....

You're deployed in the military away from your spouse
for an extended period of time (try a year and a half)
You're used to a very healthy sexual relationship,
and then....nadddaaa...

Of course you correspond as male and females do...
And it would be a sin if you were away from the one you
loved for a VERY long time?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.