Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I heard it again today in passing. A conversation I overhead as I was walking to my car after work. "Atheists are just evil," said a woman about my age to the nodding agreement of her companions. As I passed by, another younger woman said, "Atheists are the reason there's so much trouble in the world."

This is a sentiment I never actually heard casually until I moved to Montgomery, AL last April. Oh, I'd read it in some forums. Heard it watching some Christian TV. But since I've been here, I've heard similar statements at work, at the grocery store, in a park, in a cafeteria.

And it worries me...scares me in fact. If people really, REALLY believe I am evil because I'm an atheist, what then could they be led to do to me? Do they wish me harm? Do they think that I will, with my lack of belief cause them harm? What is the nature of this evil?

Perhaps I'm over reacting, I am experiencing a great deal of stress and sadness right now.

So tell me, help me to understand.

Do you as a Christian believe that atheists are evil? If you do, why? If you do, what will you do about us?

If you don't, why? What is your reaction when you hear a fellow believer say that atheists are evil?

Reactions: Illuminatus

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Letalis said:
No, I don't believe atheists are evil. Foolish, perhaps, but not evil. Of course, I'm sure there are evil atheists out there, same as Christians, or Buddhists.

*chuckle* Point well taken. If I had a penny for everytime I'd been foolish or thoughtless... Hmmmmmm.

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
Garnet2727 said:
If people really, REALLY believe I am evil because I'm an atheist, what then could they be led to do to me? Do they wish me harm? Do they think that I will, with my lack of belief cause them harm? What is the nature of this evil?

Hi Garnet,
Speaking for myself, I wish you no harm; only good, which ultimately can only happen to any of us when we receive God's free gift of salvation and forgiveness of our sins through faith in what Jesus Christ did for us.

The Bible explains that the nature of evil is that we all have inherited a sinful, evil nature / heart from the first man, Adam, and out of that inherent evil nature or disposition, flow evil deeds (Romans 5:12-21).

Garnet2727 said:
Do you as a Christian believe that atheists are evil? If you do, why? If you do, what will you do about us?

No, but mankind's inner, evil nature manifests itself in our behavior in varying degrees, depending on different factors, one of the more important ones being our opinion of who God is (or if He exists) and whether we believe He will eventually hold us accountable for our actions or not. (The Bible teaches that He does, and will). More important than my opinion, is the Holy Scriptures, that declare that if someone thinks, down deep in their heart, that "there is no God" they are a "fool" (Psalm 14:1), and that if they don't believe in Jesus Christ's death and resurrection for them, "have no [eternal] hope, and are without God". (Ephesians 2:12).

What I "do about" atheists, is pray that they will discover God's love and salvation in Christ, as I am doing for you. :)

Garnet2727 said:
If you don't, why? What is your reaction when you hear a fellow believer say that atheists are evil?

I don't remember ever hearing a true Christian say that atheists are "evil" , per se, but if any did say that, my reaction would be that they're probably referring to the abundance of a particular person's destructive evil actions. We are all sinners in ourselves, so I think that if a Christian is self-righteously looking down their nose at any other sinner, atheist or otherwise, it's because at their core, they don't really understand their own latent sinfulness, or the true Gospel message.

Upvote 0

sinner/SAVED

homo unis libri / εραστής της φρόνησης
Dec 3, 2004
Sowega
✟11,386.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
There are evil individuals in any group of people. You cannot make a blanket statement about the group based on the behavior of individuals. My guess is that the percentage of evil in the athiest group is about the same as in any other group. My guess is that the percentage of evil individuals is about equal in the athiest group and in the Christian group and that percentage is very low. I also guess that the percentage of righteous individuals is about the same in both groups and that percentage would be about 0%.

Upvote 0

searle29678

Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend
Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe atheists are evil by any means. As someone else said, there are a lot of "Christians" out there with ill will towards man. I'm not perfect and I will admit that atheists make me a bit angry sometimes because they can't believe in something I believe to be so real but I don't think they are the cause of the ruin of society. I give that credit to those who have let Satan cloud their judgement (Christian or not) and haven't avoided temptation in all sorts of situations. If anything, I believe that atheists need our prayers and example so that hopefully they will one day see the glory and existence of our Lord Jesus Christ. I make judgements even though I try not to, but it's not my place to judge an atheists place in the world or beliefs or motives, for that matter. God and God alone decides the judgement for not believing on Him. It's hard to live up to the Christian standard that the world holds us to and I am definately not perfect so I can't say that I am so righteous that I may not have made a similar comment as the ladies you encountered at some point, but I try to change my thinking when it comes to this issue.

Upvote 0

CWLite

Oct 31, 2004
Scarborough, Ontario
✟15,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, technicaly we all are sinners (those who repent remove the record though), and sin is evil. But to say atheists are specail in this case, well, there ain't no love in that. If anything, I think atheists generaly only see things at face value, and fail to see the invisible. I think they are almost afaid of faith, like it doesn't coinside with logic. My thought anyways.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Atheists evil? Can't say I've ever heard that stance in any church sermon I've heard. While individuals can be evil, irregardless of their beliefs, I would not presume to make such a blanket statement.
As for "what to do about" atheist---I say pray for those you know, deal with them in love and leave it up to God to judge their hearts.

Celtie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And it worries me...scares me in fact. If people really, REALLY believe I am evil because I'm an atheist, what then could they be led to do to me? Do they wish me harm? Do they think that I will, with my lack of belief cause them harm? What is the nature of this evil?

While no one here can really speak for the people whose conversation you overheard......

Let me reassure you that what I pray for every atheist friend of mine is that they would repent and become a humble follower of Jesus. I wish them no harm. I pray for their protection, well-being, and all good things.

Upvote 0

BlackRain

Dec 21, 2004
texas
✟8,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
you never know, the people who said atheists are evil could have been referring to someone specific and mean you no harm. if you just catch a little of the conversation you never know for fact what they were talking about.
i don't think atheists are evil. i would try and not worry about it at all. and even if those people have shown ignorance or unkindess towards you, i would confront them about it, if it's really bugging you a lot...or worrying you.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Garnet2727 said:
I heard it again today in passing. A conversation I overhead as I was walking to my car after work. "Atheists are just evil," said a woman about my age to the nodding agreement of her companions. As I passed by, another younger woman said, "Atheists are the reason there's so much trouble in the world."

This is a sentiment I never actually heard casually until I moved to Montgomery, AL last April. Oh, I'd read it in some forums. Heard it watching some Christian TV. But since I've been here, I've heard similar statements at work, at the grocery store, in a park, in a cafeteria.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, I am experiencing a great deal of stress and sadness right now.

I believe Atheists are like any Human being, Sinful people in need of the Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Garnet2727 said:
If people really, REALLY believe I am evil because I'm an atheist, what then could they be led to do to me? Do they wish me harm? Do they think that I will, with my lack of belief cause them harm? What is the nature of this evil?

The Bible says that it is not flesh and blood that we fight against, but the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms.
Whether wittingly or unwittingly people take a position in the battle between good and evil - life and death. If they try and be neutral, they omit joining forces of good and become pawns of evil. Jesus said we are either for Him or against Him. He has come to give mankind the power to become sons of God. Those who remain as neutral may not be active sons of disobedience, but are often actively working against the Good News of Jesus Christ. Again, it is not flesh and blood, but the unseen forces of the devil who still remains the prince of the power of the air in this world, setting up his new world order and money system behind the scenes.
Vinegar said:
PS. What is "evil" supposed to be, anyway? (Just kicking up a bit of dust there, on my way through).
Evil is the kind of force that inspires beheadings in the name of anything, how much less the real God of scripture. It is the force of this world's system of materialism and greed that let's people die of hunger or aborts millions of inconvenient babies a year. Though unseen, it has it's effect.
Evil disquises itself within the Church too, as tares sown in with wheat, and the wolves in sheep's clothing and hypocrites receive judgment before the world, as God has promised to clean His own house first from evil, and none will enter into His kingdom.

Mt 12:30 Anyone who isn’t helping me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.

Ephesians 6:12 For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms.

Eph 2:2 You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

1Pe 4:17 For the time has come for judgment, and it must begin first among God’s own children. And if even we Christians must be judged, what terrible fate awaits those who have never believed God’s Good News?

Upvote 0

BlessedVegan

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2004
SC
✟59,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was an atheist for over 10 years and I don't think I was evil! However I think I try to be more moral now..I'm not sure I'm achieving it, but I'm trying! But that's mainly b/c I now have a different basis to judge my behaviour on. Don't let people like that bother you, and don't let them make you think badly of Christians.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This grieves my heart and the heart of the Father above....such words spoken are evil!!! I am very sorry my dear sister....People are people....we are all human and all vile creatures at birth...as a follower of Christ, I strive to be more perfect and holy on this earth as much as I can against my evil nature. Those who say such things do not really understand Christ nor do they understand humans...and they need to get a good, swift kick into a relationship with a nonchristian, a couple nonchristians and start to understand that all people are just people...no one is entirely evil nor entirely good. Those who say someone is evil is evil themselves and lack love....and it is those (according to the Bible) that you should love....because you will shock them....if you talk to someone who doesn't know you are an atheist and act like the nice person I believe you are, and later, once you are in a good relationship with them, tell them you are not a follower of Christ, but in fact, are an atheist, you will shatter all of their beliefs about atheists being evil....to me....this is an important statement: "Witness always, and if necessary, use words" I just find that totally right. In order to get a point across, the best way is to show someone...Jesus couldn't just say, "okay, I forgive you of all of your sins, now try to live good lives" to all of us....no one would believe him.....instead, he showed us how much he loves us by dying on the cross a brutal death like a criminal....I believe that all good things come from the father in heaven, and all bad things come from the father of lies......love comes from above, but that doesn't mean you have to be a follower of Christ to experience it or show it. He loves you as you are and so do I!!! With love, Lauren

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ok, here is my ignorant view.

Do I believe people who do evil in the site of God are evil? Well, yes I do. Do I believe I should try and somehow make it sound that they are not God's enemies? Why on earth would I? The good news is God has provided a way to make it right with Him, and that is through His Son. But if someone chooses to sin and thereby goes against the very nature of God, then yes, they are evil, but maybe I can reword it. If you lie, even once, you are a liar. If you steal, no matter how small, you are a thief. If you take God's name in vain, use it as a curse word, then you are a blasphemer. If you have done these, by your own admission, you are a lying, thieving, blasphemer. Now before the judge not comes out, I am not judging, I am stating what was said. I can then say that God will judge that and find it 'evil' or however you define it. And that is only three of the Ten Commandments.

So am I going to go out killing these evil people? No, it's the goodness of God that leads one to repentance. It's realizing you are evil, then seeing what God has done to make you pure, and He did it while you were evil. There is no greater love anyone can show than to die for another, and Christ showed that love by dying for us while we were His enemies.

Now let this ignorant 'evil Christian' conclude with a quote:

Charles Finney stated, "God is not angry merely against the sin abstracted from the sinner, but against the sinner himself. Some persons have labored hard to set up this ridiculous and absurd abstraction, and would fain make it appear that God is angry at sin, yet not at the sinner. He hates the theft, but loves the thief. He abhors adultery, but is pleased with the adulterer. Now this is supreme nonsense. The sin has no moral character apart from the sinner. The act is nothing apart from the actor. The very thing that God hates and disapproves is not the mere event—the thing done in distinction from the doer; but it is the doer himself. It grieves and displeases Him that a rational moral agent, under His government, should array himself against his own God and Father, against all that is right and just in the universe. This is the thing that offends God. The sinner himself is the direct and the only object of his anger."
So the Bible shows. God is angry with the wicked [Psalm 7:11], not with the abstract sin. If the wicked turn not, God will whet His sword—He has bent His bow and made it ready—not to shoot at the sin, but the sinner—the wicked man who has done the abominable thing. This is the only doctrine of either the Bible or of common sense on this subject"

Upvote 0