Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that applies to what we're talking about.

The verses in Matthew are about how an individual should seek reconciliation with someone who has sinned against them. They are not about how disciplinary decisions should be communicated to those not involved.

You're right. I was originally looking for the passage in one of Paul's letters where he says something similar. He said to confront them alone, then with 2 or 3 others, and then before the church, which is where I got the "public" part. Can't seem to find it right now.

Upvote 0

Danoded

Christian Monotheist
Nov 22, 2017
United Kingdom
✟15,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I must truly be an outlier since I don't go to church, or any Christian event/groups for that matter. I also don't know why someone's relationship with God should be measured by how much volunteering they do, or by if they go to church, and what church they go to.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I must truly be an outlier since I don't go to church, or any Christian event/groups for that matter. I also don't know why someone's relationship with God should be measured by how much volunteering they do, or by if they go to church, and what church they go to.
Hello Danoded, and welcome to CF!

I think you're right that we don't "measure" our relationship in that way. But the fact of whether we associate with other Christians or not, and how ... goes back to the beginning. When Christ sent out the disciples, He sent them by 2s and 3s. The Apostles were continually meeting together. The early Church was continually meeting together. We are compared to a body composed of many parts who all have need of one another. If you cut off a body part and leave it to itself, it dies. We are told not to forsake gathering together. So I think all of these things play into reasons we would do these things. But you are right - it is not for the sake of measuring ourselves.

We are glad you've joined us here on CF though. :) Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the forums. And again, welcome!

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like being inside a church when its empty and quiet. I dont go to church services

I like being anywhere that's empty and quiet. People ruin it.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
No. Initially, when I left Christianity, I missed my church. It was a lovely community, for the most part. Then I remembered that lovely community thought me staying with an abusive husband was better than leaving him.

Churches can be nice, as long as you remember that the congregants aren't special, aren't better and don't have your best interests in mind more than any stranger on the street.

Churches generally mean well, but the road to heck and all that...

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
that lovely community thought me staying with an abusive husband was better than leaving him.

That is very unfortunate and a deep misunderstanding of the Scriptures. You are made in the image of God and should be treated with a degree of human dignity ... if a person cannot do that, you shouldn't be encouraged to allow him to abuse you. That isn't good for HIS salvation. I'm sorry that happened.

don't have your best interests in mind more than any stranger on the street.

That's too bad also. They should have. We are members of one another and owe each other love, and to do good especially for each other.

Upvote 0