Do You Believe in a 'Young Earth'?

Do you believe in "Young Earth Creation" based on the Bible narrative?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey gals and guys,

I'm just curious what the general population of 'Singles' believes in regard to the Biblical account of earth's creation - do you believe in the literal interpretation, or subscribe to theories such as Old Earth Creation, Gap Theory, your own personal theory, etc.?

I'd be interested in hearing your different thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

R

Riot Riot Riot

I believe that God created the earth in 6 literal days.
What the Bible says is absolute truth.
God is God. He can do anything He wants, when He wants, and take however long He wants doing it.
Just because it doesn't even begin to make sense in our puny human minds doesn't mean that it must be inaccurate. Our understanding of the ways of this universe is small and ridiculously pathetic.
We'll never fully understand God's way of working, and I don't think we're meant to.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
not really
nor do i really trust that the earth is 4.54 billion years old either
i mean it could be, but we just seem to be way too sure that it is

I think that using science to test anything that far removed is trickey at best

really I do not worry about it, I think the earth is very old, probably somewhere around 4 billion or so, and that theistic evolution is how life came about, the events in Genesis after the Fall are pretty much historical

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believe that God created the earth in 6 literal days.
What the Bible says is absolute truth.
God is God. He can do anything He wants, when He wants, and take however long He wants doing it.
Just because it doesn't even begin to make sense in our puny human minds doesn't mean that it must be inaccurate. Our understanding of the ways of this universe is small and ridiculously pathetic.
We'll never fully understand God's way of working, and I don't think we're meant to.

Just my 2 cents. :D
i do not think anyone would argue that He could not do it in 6 days

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
In short, yes: Young earth 6-10k years old. 6 literal days of Creation time + 1 literal day of Rest. Dating methods that are supposed to show the earth is millions of years old simply cannot be corroborated without time travel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In short, yes: Young earth 6-10k years old. 6 literal days of Creation time + 1 literal day of Rest. Dating methods that are supposed to show the earth is millions of years old simply cannot be corroborated without time travel.

I'm with you on this, though I didn't always believe this. However, things that have happened, and changed, in science over the past 20 years has got me thinking twice about it now.

Take for instance the soft tissue discovered in a supposedly 65 million year old T-Rex thigh bone a few years back. Science before then had concluded that soft tissue couldn't survive past 10,000 years.

Add that something someone pointed out on CF earlier when they quoted Luke where even Christ referred to Noah... made me start thinking maybe science hasn't gotten it all right.

Besides, we know how science discards and adopts new theories all the time. ;)

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't there to see the earth made, so I can't vouch for anything. Besides, I wonder what the earth was like as a teenager. Probably moody with violent eruptions and acne. It probably wanted to stay up past its curfew.

This.

But seriously, we don't know. Neither do geologists, physicists, paleontologists, or any other ologists. I'm an Old Earth Creationist myself. I believe that the "days" of creation were figurative epochs. I don't think that science has accurately determined the age of anything past a few thousand years, so it could very well be younger than they think by several orders of magnitude. But I also don't believe in a trickster god who deliberately misleads people into wrong belief. If the Earth appears to be very old, it probably is. True, God's works confound the wise. But that is because they think they are wiser than they are, not because God is secretly a Loki or a Puck.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0
R

Riot Riot Riot

I'm with you on this, though I didn't always believe this. However, things that have happened, and changed, in science over the past 20 years has got me thinking twice about it now.

Take for instance the soft tissue discovered in a supposedly 65 million year old thigh bone. Science before then had concluded that soft tissue couldn't survive past 10,000 years.

Add that something someone pointed out on CF earlier when they quoted Luke where even Christ referred to Noah... made me start thinking maybe science hasn't gotten it all right.

Besides, we know how science discards and adopts new theories all the time. ;)
^This.

The way I see it: If we can't take God's creation account for truth and trust and believe fully that it is the absolute truth, then what CAN we believe and trust?
Mere human scientists who are always creating new theories? Humans have such small brain power compared to God! We don't even come CLOSE!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather put stock in an all-knowing, all-powerful God than an ever-erring human who can't even make up their mind about what soda they want from a pop machine... let alone their stance on important issues.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.