Do you believe God ever reveals a future spouse?

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
O̶h̶ ̶y̶e̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶W̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶H̶o̶s̶e̶a̶?̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶?̶
Edit: Sorry Sketcher you already mentioned this!

From what I did know about him (though probably not applicable anymore) I do feel like we would've got on - may be silly but he did feel like he could've been a like-minded person. Obviously this is one sided (being from my perspective) and since we never knew each other all that well I can't say he liked me back.

I wouldn't want to change myself though - I agree with you on this matter. If I am ever lucky enough to be in a relationship I want to be myself or I feel there isn't a point. I need that person whoever they are to know me properly and vice versa so that they understand me properly - and the same for them so that I can support them. I hate the idea of faking who I am because it would be me leading them on in a sense and yeah what good can come from that?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I truly believe God has created someone unique for each of us. However, He allows us to have that choice, to either seek them out, with His help, or seeking out someone who won't be equally-yoked, by ourselves.

When it comes to divorces among "Christians", I wouldn't take it as an indicator that you most likely will end up in a divorced marriage. If you were to look at the story behind each divorce, most likely they ended due to some sort of sin. I put Christians in quote, as I'm also sure, the personal relationship with God, each person in the marriage had, differed, which would also be a big factor. So divorce statistics shouldn't scare us off really, unless we're not being lead by God.
Hello, thankyou for your insight as well! I would hope that if this is the case then I would be able to seek someone out through God. But knowing me I don't know if this will be the case haha.. I think I can also be quite stubborn and honestly don't lean to God like I should (as I think I have already mentioned). I see the danger being that I am going to be the person who is unequally unyoked in a relationship. Therefore I definitely have a lot to work on with myself!

Upvote 0

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Based on John 16:13 I believe so. In fact, he's given me the characteristics of who my future wife will be. Some of these traits are physical and others are spiritual. I believe one of the reasons He showed me was to keep me from giving out pieces of my heart to different women that may not be one. I don't think that's healthy or wise.
Hi, thank you for your reply as well. Its very encouraging to hear how God may have spoken in your personal life!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe I made it unclear but he didn't speak through my brother, I just meant he's the only person I have told about this. If it was God speaking to me then I think he spoke by showing me this person's name in a random situation. Then a video I watched by someone titled "what if your future spouse is someone you already know?" and the last one - after I prayed for confirmation my dad the next day said he dreamed about me getting married (though he did not see who i think). Anyway I hope this clears things up
First name only?

Funny story, there was a young lady who appeared to be interested in me for a while, and eventually married someone else with my first name. I wonder sometimes if she felt that God led her to the name, and she thought it was me for a while because of that.

Upvote 0

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
First name only?

Funny story, there was a young lady who appeared to be interested in me for a while, and eventually married someone else with my first name. I wonder sometimes if she felt that God led her to the name, and she thought it was me for a while because of that.
If it was God it was their full name

Upvote 0

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
First name only?

If it was God then this person's full name was revealed to me.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've had prophetic dreams of a woman who I eventually saw and met later on. Happened twice.

I did felt strongly about them but nothing came through.

Maybe I simply dream of future things that I would feel strongly about (when it came to pass in reality). Not necessarily a prophetic dream from God but I simply have the ability to see future events in some unique way. Like I see how the future might unfold but not necessarily mean it's about me.

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

ChristinaK

Mar 20, 2018
England
✟9,734.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I've had prophetic dreams of a woman who I eventually saw and met later on. Happened twice.

I did felt strongly about them but nothing came through.

Maybe I simply dream of future things that I would feel strongly about (when it came to pass in reality). Not necessarily a prophetic dream from God but I simply have the ability to see future events in some unique way. Like I see how the future might unfold but not necessarily mean it's about me.

Thats insightful thankyou!

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe God ever reveals a future spouse?
__

Looking at the divorce rate at 50%, 67% for 2nd marriage, and 75% for 3rd marriage, I don't think so. Relationship is a complicated matter. You can pray to the Lord about it, however, like any relationships, it could fail in the long run for a lot of reasons.

This. 110% people get so caught up in the one, being married and everything else they don't realize not evetything is set in stone. Then make idols out of these things.

• Agree
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think that we're destined to be with someone from birth - and I don't think that we'll be married when we transcend. Personally, I think the space between birth and death is a load of rubbish - I honestly don't think it matters.

Our works, our legacy and our personalities will transcend with us. The rest is just grey area.

• Agree
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Just because God can do something doesn't mean he's doing that in your life. In cases like Hosea's and Jeremiah's, I'm glad he did not repeat that in my life. And unless I marry, a repeat of Ezekiel is impossible. So this principle isn't all bad.

But yeah, either God spoke through your brother, or your brother spoke presumptuously. I have no way of knowing which is true. I would say approach this as objectively and as soberly as a person can, and God can make it known to you if that's what he really wants for your life. Instead of wondering if God spoke this to your brother, consider how this guy treats you and other people. And where he puts God in his life. God has ways of leading people to other people and away from other people when they objectively, soberly, and prayerfully do that.

Reminds me of the dialogue between Balaam, his ass, and God's angel/messenger.
Numbers 22. Bible Gateway passage: Numbers 22:21-38 - King James Version.

OP sounds like a chook in heat, adorable lol. - There was a young lady in one of the churches I returned to, she was quiet, shy, and much younger, so I never paid any attention. But apparently she asked around about me, and word reached back to me. And around that time a few people asked me about 'marriage' including a senior ministers wife. It felt suspicious and nosy. Not my style. So I ignored it all as I hardly knew her and I wasn't exactly ready or interested. She's very pretty and sweet but not my type I suppose. And while other people know about 'it', I never actually spoke about it, and she never spoke about it, so similar to your story, it's a non-issue for all intents and purposes lol. Nada. No face lost, nothing to talk about. Then, a few months later a bloke who returned to the church after leaving for some years, boldly asked her out, and a year later they got married. Impulsively, I suspect since there were couple other fellows chasing her, so the pressure was on. The two were a controversial match to many but that's another story. Anyhow, even though we never talked about it publicly when bumping into me, she would blush profusely, fumble over herself, unable to get a polite 'Hi' out. Embarrassing really. The moral of the story is that it turns out the fellow she married was far more suitable for her than I could ever be, or any of the other fellows chasing her. Her husband is a generous and kind provider, a server, empathetic, doting, self-sacrificial, and always thinking and talking about her, and with her having a medical condition, and absent father problems, he fits her very very well.

OP, check out Proverbs 14 (and 31 about women's concerns). "Every wise woman buildeth her house: ... (and) There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. ...The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with knowledge. ...The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends."

In short, 'work on yourself' as they say. The right man will walk into your life, present himself, and propose, if your dad and God has willed it for your life. If not, you'll be fine alone. There's not need to over think it. :)

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
First name only?

Same here. Same spelling too. Super weird.

Upvote 0