• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you believe god and Jesus speak through dreams?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by jenmelania0, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jenmelania0

jenmelania0 New Member

+24
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Deep in my heart I want God and Jesus to be able to speak to us through dreams.

My Mother has always talked about these 3 wonderful different dreams she had that
    she thinks were from God or a spiritual realm. And one of them changed her life,
    the others brought her peace and comfort.

Many times when I ask a question like this on a Christian Forum there will be 3 or 4 people who tell me that God no longer speaks through dreams and his word is the only thing that is now valid.
    This discourages me because I would like to pray for dreams and visions from God and Jesus.
    I know not every dream is from God, I know to pray for interpretation and for the message to be made clear.

Do you think God can and does still speak through dreams?

2. Humble me Lord

Humble me Lord Well-Known Member Supporter

+985
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon CF Senior Ambassador

+9,133
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Instead, why not read God's Word? the Lord Jesus and His love for sinners is the central theme of the Word of God. John's Gospel is a wonderful book of the Bible to get to know well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Shoetoyou

Shoetoyou Humbled Pilgrim Supporter

+754
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I certainly believe that God can and does still speak through dreams, visions, and other direct means. I've never understood (no disrespect meant to anyone, but I really don't understand) how some people can dismiss such so easily. Who are we to try to limit what God can do?

That said, I think it is very easy to be deceived by our own subconscious and/or evil spirits impersonating Him in these kinds of communication. God will not contradict Himself, so it is important to check such possible communication against His Word, and can be helpful to seek advice from mature, godly, wise people further in their walk with Christ - they are people and can make errors, but can be helpful.

5. Solomons Porch

Solomons Porch Solomon's Porch Supporter

+5,614
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes yes and YES again
    I hated his dad

God still speaks in many many ways. OUR GOD is not silent and HE wants to communicate with each of us every second of the day and night.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+2,846
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    God speaks in everything. If we could just slow down and LISTEN, we would all see that :)

Dreams and visions have been a major means of communication from God since Genesis. Even non believers get dreams from God (see Pharoah and Nebuchadnezzar)

Just make sure before you get a dream you think is from God and run out to follow it you get it interpreted and confirmed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+1,054
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Sometimes

8. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,087
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    Of course, the Bible says so. Read Joel 2:28-29
    “And it shall come to pass afterward
    That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;
    Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
    Your old men shall dream dreams,
    Your young men shall see visions.
    29 And also on My menservants and on My maidservants
    I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

See, it includes dreams with prophecy and visions. Who give prophecy and visions. God! So, yes, He does speak to us in dreams. Just not all dreams. Some are from pizza.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+1,088
    Christian
    Married
    Absolutely yes. God has spoken clearly to me in a dream a couple of years ago. I had NO QUESTION that it was God.

10. THE W

THE W BORN APRIL 29TH 2012

+984
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Single
    yes, God can communicate with us in this way but the primary means by which the LORD has communicated who He is and what His will for His creation is will be through His inspired Word in Scripture.

exceptions are not the norm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran

+2,142
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Scripture says Yahweh gives dreams.
    "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:" Acts 2:17 (also, Joel 2:28).

Think we chalk them up as pizza dreams too frequently.

Since we're kings and priests (Rev 1:60), "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Prov 25:2 So He hides things for us to find. Everything He does has a purpose.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+488
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes God is able to speak to us through dreams, vision, sermons, bible readings, hymns, prayers, other peoples conversations and forums.

The question is why should God speak to us through dreams and visions?

If we are doing what he wants us to do, i.e. love others as Jesus loves us. What need is there for him to give a dream etc.

13. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Gone

+3,966
    Anglican
    Private
    He can, yes. We have to be careful of overclaiming, but in this case if your mother was encouraged and given peace and comfort; if she changed her life for the better, then her dreams were indeed from God.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  14. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Gone

+3,966
    Anglican
    Private
    Why is that the question? I would put it the other way round; why shouldn't God speak through dreams and visions, given that there is Scriptural evidence that he does do this?

15. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Gone

+3,966
    Anglican
    Private
    Don't be confused. Believing in dreams is not a matter that pertains to salvation; some will believe, some won't.

What matters is loving God and our neighbour as ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+488
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Very simply, God has told us in the bible what he wants us to do.
    Love others as Jesus Loves us. What more could anyone want.

17. The Times

The Times Well-Known Member

+207
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Knock and the door shall be opened and ask and it shall be answered.

How God chooses to speak to you may surprise you indeed. Your looking externally for dreams and visions and all along he has been speaking to you through your mother.

God speaks to you through the person you look up to most and he uses those people in your life to scaffold your growth and development towards faith in Jesus.

Don't look at others how God speaks to, but look inwardly how he has spoken to your heart. God speaks differently to different people and he may change the mode of communication as you grow in faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Polar Bear Quest

Polar Bear Quest New Member

+23
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    God speaks through dreams, but if you're planning on doing something based on a dream be sure it's from God. The best bet for revelation from God is to pray diligently and read your bible consistently.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. WadeTheophan

WadeTheophan New Member Supporter

+27
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    God speaks through a multitude of means. Let's not put Him in a box. Unfortunately many times it takes a crisis to clear the slate so we are actually listening. We are consumed with the things of this life. It's not that He rarely speaks it's just that we rarely listen.
    Blessings now and ever!

20. Neari

Neari Neari

+77
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    In my opinion, I believe so. I believe He will often give us dreams that relate to our current problems in life. But I find that not everyone seems to have dreams, maybe it depends on the kind of person you are. For example, my non-Christian brother who is very work-minded rarely has dreams. However my Christian sister has dreams almost every night and they usually can be interpreted to relate to problems/cycles in her waking life. But of course, this is just my opinion. :)