Do You Believe All Will Be Resurrected Bodily?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would agree.
I would also agree, as you said, God can do anything.

So there is really no evidence Jesus' Post resurrection/pre ascension body had any different attributes or capabilities than his pre cross Body did, is there? It is for sure a stretch to claim that Jesus' pre resurrection Body, the one that could walk on water and pass through hostile crowds untouched, was somehow Incapable of walking through walls as well. and of course His pre cross body could eat, be touched, etc....
Help me out here. . .

Was Jesus' walking on water not simply part of the miracle (among his many miracles) in which he calmed the storm and the boat immediately reached the shore ((Jn 6:21) from the middle of the lake (Mk 6:47), rather than manifestation of an attribute or capability not specifically described/presented until after the resurrection?

Do the texts state that he escaped the crowds by any special attributes, or any way out of the ordinary?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ephesians 5:13. But all things that are reproved are made known by the light: for what ever make it known is light. 14. Therefore he says, Awake you that sleep, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light. Colossians 2:12. Buried with him in baptism, where in also you are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who has raised him from the dead. 13. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he made alive together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Chapter 3:1. If you then are risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God.
So now that you have chosen the scriptures you would like to work with, can you now provide
the proof beyond a shadow of a doubt which are figurative language and which should be taken
literally, based on context and the Greek grammar, as you have so stated? These seem figurative
to me, if not, help me out please.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So now that you have chosen the scriptures you would like to work with, can you now provide
the proof beyond a shadow of a doubt which are figurative language and which should be taken
literally, based on context and the Greek grammar, as you have so stated? These seem figurative
to me, if not, help me out please.
That was why I linked the article. That contains the list. I’m not going to sit here and rewrite all that stuff with my thumb on my phone. But I guess it’s to bad because the moderator took down that post claiming I’m seeking donations because my website that has literally thousands of pages and articles that have been number 1 or on the first page of Google searches for a decade or more has a link on it for donations. In 20 years I’ve received one donation through it.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That was why I linked the article. That contains the list. I’m not going to sit here and rewrite all that stuff with my thumb on my phone. But I guess it’s to bad because the moderator took down that post claiming I’m seeking donations because my website that has literally thousands of pages and articles that have been number 1 or on the first page of Google searches for a decade or more has a link on it for donations. In 20 years I’ve received one donation through it.
Joining the discussion of this thread by asking participants to reference an off site essay was
not very functional from go.
Personally, I have not tried to advance any doctrine of my own.
I opened a thread by asking a question, the primary text has been 1 Corinthians 15.
Regardless of your interpretation, you have to deal with that chapter right?
I have added 2 Corinthians 5, others have contributed scriptures and comments.
No one should feel the need to go to your website to discuss the topic.
It is your resource to use to contribute. You posted 3 scriptures pertaining to spiritual
rebirth that uses "resurrection" language that would seem to be figurative.
We are also said to be grafted into an Olive Tree, and a branch connected to the True Vine.
I am not sure how that is relevant to the OP.
Does this in any way disprove a physical resurrection at the end of the age?
Surely you can sum up a few ideas that contribute without posting an entire document.
I posted the section that pertained to Matthew 27 for you.
I commented that your analysis seemed more speculative than evidentiary to proving anything
beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Saints coming out of the grave and appearing in Jerusalem is a fascinating part of the narrative,
but really doesn't provide any conclusive evidence to the nature of that resurrection body.
If we compare to Lazarus in John 11, surely he eventually died again, or is there an alternative?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Joining the discussion of this thread by asking participants to reference an off site essay was
not very functional from go.
Personally, I have not tried to advance any doctrine of my own.
I opened a thread by asking a question, the primary text has been 1 Corinthians 15.
Regardless of your interpretation, you have to deal with that chapter right?
I have added 2 Corinthians 5, others have contributed scriptures and comments.
No one should feel the need to go to your website to discuss the topic.
It is your resource to use to contribute. You posted 3 scriptures pertaining to spiritual
rebirth that uses "resurrection" language that would seem to be figurative.
We are also said to be grafted into an Olive Tree, and a branch connected to the True Vine.
I am not sure how that is relevant to the OP.
Does this in any way disprove a physical resurrection at the end of the age?
Surely you can sum up a few ideas that contribute without posting an entire document.
I posted the section that pertained to Matthew 27 for you.
I commented that your analysis seemed more speculative than evidentiary to proving anything
beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Saints coming out of the grave and appearing in Jerusalem is a fascinating part of the narrative,
but really doesn't provide any conclusive evidence to the nature of that resurrection body.
If we compare to Lazarus in John 11, surely he eventually died again, or is there an alternative?
Um, first off. I have been heavily involved in social media since 1996. Long before there was even a phrase social media. I began to write my website so that I wouldn’t have to waste hours retyping the same things over and over again. I could link the site. So your opinion about non functionality doesn’t mean much to me. It’s worked just fine all these years. I keep telling you we cannot discuss this properly without you reading the first section of that article. It contains Jesus’s correction to the culture he was preaching to about the same subject of resurrection. They believed in a one or two time future event called the resurrection the same as most Christians do today. Funny how some things never change. Like I said. You have to wrestle with his words first. But most people don’t even know he addressed the particularities on the subject. Hey can’t see past their traditions just like the people in Jesus’s day couldn’t see past theirs. I’ll just copy and paste it on on another comment.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is your resource to use to contribute.

1. That depending on the context of the verses the word resurrection is used to convey the idea that there is immediate life after death that includes a physical body. (Not physical as we know physical, but a physical body none the less.)

Matthew 22: 23-32. The same day the Sadducees came to him (Jesus), which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him………… 29. Jesus answered and said to them, You err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 31. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken to you by God, saying, 32. I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living 33. And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine. Jesus directly used the term “the resurrection” to describe the fact that the patriarchs were alive, not dead and the multitude was astonished by this statement. Why would that be? The belief that there was life after death was held by the vast majority of the multitude. They were certainly not astonished that Jesus would say the Patriarchs were alive anymore than Christians today would not be astonished; it is something they already believe. One can only assume they were astonished because they understood Jesus to say the Patriarchs were already resurrected, something that they understood to be a one time future event at the end of the world. As Martha states here: John 11: 23. Jesus said to her, Your brother shall rise again. 24. Martha said to him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. 25. Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: It was not unusual for Christ to differ with the culturally accepted beliefs of his day. What is strange, is that this scripture messes with consensus views of Christians today; as if nothing has ever changed in what believers hold to be true.
Here's an example to bring the significance of this scripture to light. Say there was a funeral of a child who from a family where they were all professing Christians. How often would their fellow Christians seek to comfort them with the words, "your child is in a better place , he is with Jesus now alive and happy and will be in heaven waiting for you." It's comforting and true! Yet if someone said the same words like this: "He is with Jesus now resurrected and happy and will be in heaven waiting for you." There would be looks of puzzlement, people may be offended, in fact the person in question may get a call from the pastor. Yet this is exactly how Jesus used the word resurrection, to describe the fact of immediate life after death that has nothing to do with dead bodies made alive, graves opening or future events.

There is something further to notice about Jesus’ answer in Matthew 22:30 concerning the physical nature of the simple life after death resurrected body: For in the resurrection they ….. are as the angels of God in heaven. The Bible calls angels spirits in Hebrews 1:14. Are they not all ministering spirits..... Yet angels throughout the scripture have physical bodies. They may not be physical as we understand physical, but in the scriptures they eat, drink, appear, disappear, walk through walls, are constantly mistaken for men, and take on different form, walk in fire, etc. etc. The point being is that our "inward" man is a spirit, just like the angels are spirits. We are not a cloud or a mist that floats around when these bodies die. When we step out of these bodies we step out on feet, we have legs, we have a body. It is physical, just not flesh and bone as we know physical right now. This can be seen in great detail in the scriptures below.
Here are three Bible stories that demonstrate point #1 again but also point #3 where a mans earthy physical body was changed into a heavenly physical body. Deuteronomy 34: 5. So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab , according to the word of the Lord. 6. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knows of his tomb unto this day. 2 Kings 2:11. And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, which separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. Luke 9: 28. About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up to a mountain to pray. 29. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. 30. Two men, Moses and Elijah, 31.Appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem.: We have two men. One of them, Moses; died, buried, his body still in the ground. The other Elijah, caught away to heaven. Yet here they are, both speaking to Jesus with the same bodies: they are alive, resurrected, and they have the appearance of angels. If resurrection is a one time future event how did this make it into the Bible? Moses has the same body as Elijah, Moses dead and buried and Elijah "raptured." See how this fits into the narrative of Jesus that in the resurrection they are physically. like the angels?
In another example of point #1 we have a story that includes someone who did not go to heaven but hell: Luke 16: 19. There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day. 20. And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21. And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23. And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and sees Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25. But Abraham said, Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and you are tormented. 26. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from here to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from there. 27. Then he said, I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house: 28. For I have five brothers; that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment. 29. Abraham answered him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30. And he said, No, father Abraham: but if one went to them from the dead, they will repent. 31. And he said to him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. This is not the end of the world; the rich man still has unbelieving kinfolk on earth, and Jesus said there "was" a certain rich man, indicating this happened in the past, before Christ and the NT. Also these individuals have physical bodies that are recognizable; the rich man recognizes both Lazarus and Abraham. Then there is the use of this language: he lifted up his eyes and saw; he is thirsty and wants a drop of water on his tongue because he is tormented in fire, clearly indicating a body. Plus he still cares for the welfare of his family even though he is in hell. These are not awaiting resurrection, they are already resurrected and it is the past. So how can it be said that the Bible teaches a one time future event called the resurrection when we have these examples of people already resurrected?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Um, first off. I have been heavily involved in social media since 1996. Long before there was even a phrase social media. I began to write my website so that I wouldn’t have to waste hours retyping the same things over and over again. I could link the site. So your opinion about non functionality doesn’t mean much to me. It’s worked just fine all these years. I keep telling you we cannot discuss this properly without you reading the first section of that article.
Um, my comment had nothing to do with your social media savvy or functionality of your website. I said
that expecting the forum to go study your paper for the sake of discussion was a big ask.
I don't see anyone else showing any interest. I think at this point, I will let it go myself. Good night.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No. I don’t. Spiritual body yes. 1 Corinthians 15 talks about the differences between spiritual and flesh. I don’t even believe that Jesus is in a body anymore after becoming one with God, and God is a spirit. God resides in a spiritual kingdom, heavenly Jerusalem.

When Jesus completed everything he handed all the power given by God back to God so God could be all in all.

What is the goal of Christianity ?

to make it to heaven?

to have relationship with God?

You're understanding of what St. Paul is talking about in 1 Corinthians 15 is flawed.

The Apostle does not speak of a difference between the "spiritual" and "flesh". He makes a distinction between the present "soulish" body (soma psuchekos) and the future "spiritual" body (soma pneumatikos). The body soulish and the body spiritual. It is not a question of matter, as both are matter, flesh and bone, because it's the physical body of flesh and bone. It's a question of the quickening power, the operation of the body. See Romans 8:11, "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you."

In the present the body is "soulish" because the life of the body is mortal, corruptible, fallen, shackled to the passions and desires of our present fallen condition. But in the resurrection the body is transformed (1 Corinthians 15:51-54), when Christ returns in glory He shall transform our lowly body to be like His glorified body (Philippians 3:21). From mortal to immortal, corruptible to incorruptible, from soulish to spiritual .

What makes the body "spiritual" in the resurrection isn't its composition, but that it is the quickening power of the Holy Spirit Himself, hence why I argue that it is a Spiritual body (see again Romans 8:11).

The kind of distinction Paul makes isn't the distinction between a wooden ship and a metal ship, but the distinction between a sail boat and a motor boat. It's the same stuff, but what moves it, its operation, its "power" is different. It is the difference between us in our present fallen condition, and us as we are transformed and perfected by grace in the resurrection, alive not by mere animal passions but by the very quickening power of the Holy Spirit.

To argue that the body is not physical in the resurrection is, at its core, a rejection of the Christian religion: That God the Word became flesh, Jesus Christ born, living, suffering, dying, and rising again.

As the Apostle himself very clearly says, if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen.

And a non-bodily resurrection isn't a resurrection at all. If Christ's flesh saw corruption--decayed into dust in the tomb--then our entire religion is forfeit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marc Perry

Sep 9, 2020
California
✟14,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1 Corinthians 15:
12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some
among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen.
14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God
that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise.
16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen.
17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins!
18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

I don't know.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Will someone born with one arm get a resurrection body with only one arm?
If someone has their leg amputated, will their resurrection body have it re attached somehow?

Yes but there are other questions that are much harder such as "at what shape will your body be?". Can you be obese or skimpy, these are in some views imperfections and (arguably) reflect the health of the person. what about these two weight classes, will they become an average body frame or will they be voluptuous or muscular (since these are attributes of someone who is healthy)?

Height is also a subjective imperfection. You have those who are midgets and guys who have illnesses such as Andre the Giant... then you have races that have their own genetic average height. Are we all going to become the same height as well, and what would a specific height be the perfect one?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Raised The Last Day
John 6:
This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should
lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and
believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will
raise him up at the last day.
54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him
up at the last day.

John 12:48. He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which
judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes but there are other questions that are much harder such as "at what shape will your body be?". Can you be obese or skimpy, these are in some views imperfections and (arguably) reflect the health of the person. what about these two weight classes, will they become an average body frame or will they be voluptuous or muscular (since these are attributes of someone who is healthy)?

Height is also a subjective imperfection. You have those who are midgets and guys who have illnesses such as Andre the Giant... then you have races that have their own genetic average height. Are we all going to become the same height as well, and what would a specific height be the perfect one?

oooo those are great observations I like that Cis. From what the Bible says it will be a body pleasing to God. So that question is totally up in the air .. haha. It’s remarkable to think about though we have no clue. The most obvious one would be ... it’s a body just like the one I own now... and being in the same body for say 78 years would make sense to have back wouldn’t it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. I don’t. Spiritual body yes. 1 Corinthians 15 talks about the differences between spiritual and flesh. I don’t even believe that Jesus is in a body anymore after becoming one with God, and God is a spirit. God resides in a spiritual kingdom, heavenly Jerusalem.

When Jesus completed everything he handed all the power given by God back to God so God could be all in all.

What is the goal of Christianity ?

to make it to heaven?

to have relationship with God?
You ask the goal of Christianity ?

The Gospel going forth in Resurrection Power as per Romans 1:16, 1 Corinthians 15:1-19

Philippians 3:10
that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Jesus tells His disciples to go and make disciples of all the nations baptizing them into the the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit teaching them to do all I command until the end of the age and that he would be with them always.

The great question then becomes what is the Gospel ?

What is its message ?

Paul condemns anyone who teaches or preaches another Gospel or Jesus

Galatians 1:6
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2 Corinthians 11:4
For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.

Revelation 14:6
Then I saw another angel flying overhead, with the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation and tribe and tongue and people

So the question becomes how do we know we have the right Jesus and the right Gospel ?

Paul defines the Gospel below for us to clear up any doubt as to what it is !

1 Corinthians 15:1-19
Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; 8 and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me. 11 Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

12 Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

Paul summary of the Gospel

1- Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures
2- He was buried and raised on the 3rd day according to the Scriptures
3- He was Resurrected on the 3rd Day
4- He appeared to many people and groups over a 40 day period prior to His Ascension
5- Last of all Jesus appeared to Paul just as He did to the others before him.

Paul's primary focus in the definition of the Gospel is points 2-5 which is the core message of the Gospel - His Resurrection

And for the rest of the 15th chapter he goes into great detail about the body of Jesus Resurrection and what our resurrected bodies will be like.

Where the issue that divides people happens is a misunderstanding of how the Apostle Paul uses 2 Greek Words.

1- pneumatikos, SPIRITUAL
2- soma- BODY

Paul goes into great detail describing kinds of bodies in nature.

Bodies and Types- seed. plants, flesh of humans, animals, birds and fish, heavenly bodies such as the sun, moon, stars each having their own splendor.

After Paul talks about these different kinds of BODIES above which in every case they are physical, material, tangible bodies he makes the following statement and then discusses spiritual.

42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

perishable- imperishable
dishonor- glory
weakness- power
natural- spiritual

So in the Resurrection our new bodies are different from our old bodies because they get transformed into imperishable, glory, power and spiritual.

For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory

The Greek term, “soma” for “body” is always used in Scripture to refer to physical nature. Likewise, the term “spiritual” is used in the Scripture to denote “supernatural” behavior—not a “spiritual” essence of being. Thus, the phrase “spiritual body” in the passage above speaks of a “physical supernatural” body—not a “spirit body.” Another example of the term “spiritual” referring to “supernatural” behavior is 1 Corinthians 2:15 where we read, “But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man.” The “spiritual” person in both of these passages is behaving in a “supernatural” way, not ontologically transforming “human” essence into “spirit” essence.

A spiritual body denotes an immortal body. A spiritual body is one that is dominated by the spirit, not one that is devoid of matter. The Greek word pneumatikos means a body that is directed by the spirit as opposed to one under the dominion of the flesh. It is not ruled by the flesh that perishes but by the spirit that endures. (1 Corinthians 15:50-58). A spiritual body does no mean immaterial or invisible but immortal and imperishable. Paul makes these parallels:

Earthly- Heavenly (verse 40)
Perishable- Imperishable (verse 42)
Weak- Powerful (verse 43)
Natural-Supernatural (verse 44)
Mortal- Immortal (verse 53)

The content shows that spiritual (pneumatikos) could be translated supernatural in contrast to natural from the parallels of perishable and imperishable, corruptible and incorruptible. Pneumatikos is translated supernatural in 1 Corinthians 10:4 regarding the supernatural rock that followed them in the wilderness. In the translation spiritual refers to physical objects. In 1 Corinthians 10:45 Paul spoke of the spiritual rock that followed Israel in the wilderness from which they got spiritual drink 1 Corinthians 10:4.But the OT story (Exodus 17;Numbers 20)reveals it was a physical rock from which they got literal water to drink. The actual water they drank from the material rock was produced supernaturally. Further Paul spoke about a spiritual man 1 Corinthians 2:15 he obviously did not mean an invisible, immaterial man with no corporeal body. He was as a matter of fact speaking of a flesh and blood human being whose life is lived by the supernatural power of God, a literal person whose life is Spirit directed. A spiritual man is one who is taught by the Spirit and who receives the things that come from the Spirit of God. (1 Corinthians 2:13-14). The resurrection body can be called a spiritual body in much the same way we speak of the bible being a spiritual book. Regardless of their spiritual source and power both the resurrection body and the bible are material objects.

Life giving Spirit does not speak of the nature of Christ’s resurrected body but of the divine origin of the resurrection. Jesus physical body came back to life only by the power of God. (Romans 1:4). Paul is speaking about its spiritual source not its physical substance as a material body. If spirit describes the nature of Christ’s resurrected body then Adam with whom He is contrasted must not have a soul since he is described as of the earth, made of dust (verse 47). But the bible clearly says that Adam was a living soul (Genesis 2:7). Christ’s body is called a spiritual body (soma) which always means a physical body when referring to an individual human being. The resurrected body is called spiritual and life-giving spirit because its source is in the spiritual realm, not because its substance is immaterial. Christ’s supernatural resurrection body is from heaven as Adams natural body was from the earth. (verse 47). But just as the one from earth has an immaterial soul even so the One from heaven has a material body.rhodes

So in summary body does not mean immaterial and spiritual does not mean immaterial as well but one who is controlled by the power of the Spirit of God as his source.

hope this helps !!!

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Paul's primary focus in the definition of the Gospel is points 2-5 which is the core message of the Gospel - His Resurrection
2 Corinthians 5:
Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh.
Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh,
yet now we know Him thus no longer.
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 Corinthians 5:
Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh.
Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh,
yet now we know Him thus no longer.
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

A continuation from this introduction.

2 Corinthians 5:
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation
which is from heaven,
if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed,
but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. [Just a down payment, more to come!]

I know, I already posted this once, getting little, if any response.
Let's try it again.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A continuation from this introduction.

2 Corinthians 5:
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation
which is from heaven,
if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed,
but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. [Just a down payment, more to come!]

I know, I already posted this once, getting little, if any response.
Let's try it again.
I really like the NLT on this chapter :)

5 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies.[a] 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.
6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at body home with the Lord. 7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 9 So whether we are here in this or away from this body, our goal is to please him.10 For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing.

What seems to be the greatest shortcoming in understanding the spirit body is that it is
not sitting "in stasis' in heaven waiting for us to die. We have a heart connection. The way
of a Christian life strengthens the spirit, or inner man, which reflects in the earth realm as
godly character, which allows us to shine as lights to the world.

Ephesians 2:
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ
(by grace you have been saved),
6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in
His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesian 3:
For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might
through His Spirit in the inner man.

Jude 1:
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Acts 20:32. So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able
to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

This development of Christian character, this "overcoming" that the scriptures teach, will be reflected
in Christ's glory within us.

1 Corinthians 15:
There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars;
for one star differs from another star in glory.
So also is the resurrection of the dead.

Light Bearers
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only,
but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing,
15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst
of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not
run in vain or labored in vain.

See you in Glory!

Upvote 0