• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you also spank on the bare bottom?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Beccysmommy, May 2, 2006.

1. Dave-W

Dave-W Our six grandchildren Supporter

+5,852
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    How old were you when that happened?

2. Dave-W

+5,852
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    It varies by state here.

3. FionaB

FionaB Newbie

+1
    Christian
    Private

4. FionaB

FionaB Newbie

+1
    Christian
    Private
    I am in the U.K. And agree with you that it is legal as long as it is a tap and no marks are made which is why I spank on their bare bottom and I can see what I have done and it takes less force for them to feel it. I think there is a big difference from tapping your child's bottom to beating which isn't acceptable at all. Think original statement was asking if to spank on the bare bottom or not.

5. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN Charlee. 8 /18 / 2017

+1,268
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm sorry your parents and so many parents choose to assault their kids. And claim it's discipline. I have family members so screwed up over this kind of abuse.

6. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,572
    Atheist
    Single
    I've got to wonder about the turning out alright. I just can't get Wheatley out of my mind. He was our first dog and it was clear he had been abused. Yea he was more than just OK, he was a dream. More caring than most people and trusting to the point he would follow me into hell. No one would ever think he had been abused. Except for those who had seen him by the pool. Yea he would follow me into hell, but not into the pool.

That scar remained til his death. Few ever saw it. I'm inclined to think it is the same with children raised with spanking. Done infrequently perhaps no damage, but often, no there will be damage. It just will be hidden from most.

7. Butterfly99

Butterfly99 Getting ready for spring break. Cya!

+1,390
    Christian
    Single
    Ew. Another creepy thread about this.

8. Dave-W

+5,852
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Indeed. My wife tells me there are (physical) scars on my back side from the many belt spankings I had as a kid. My dad beat crying out of me; so the number of times I have cried in the last 50-55 years is probably less than the fingers on one hand.

9. Butterfly99

+1,390
    Christian
    Single
    Both of these posts are heartbreaking for real. Ppl who are bent on hitting somebody should go to a boxing gym or something. Picking on pets & children is just terrible. It's even worse to try to wrap the Bible around it. This forum has shocked me hugely about this. I'm just real grateful that my parents have never once hit me & they never ever would in a billion yrs. They're decent Christians.

10. Rennie Gade

Rennie Gade New Member

+0
    Christian
    Single
    I truly believe that spanking a bare-bottomed child across the lap of parental authority is a perfectly natural form of educative correction. I think you either want the spanking to carry a clear message of parental disapproval or you don't. As far as I'm concerned, declining to spank on the bare bottom is like choosing to eat a fine roast beef dinner with your fingers; it doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

Beyond teaching the critical lesson of Actions & Consequences, the whole point of punishing a child is to deter misbehaviour. If you've bared the child's bottom and turned them over your knee, you're obviously intending the imminent smacking to mean something. Having experienced a sound bare bottom spanking even just once, any future threats to spank will carry that much more weight, and almost certainly give a misbehaving youngster pause.

In my own case, I never got the spankings I deserved as a boy. I was punished instead by the withdrawal of affection, leaving me feeling bad about myself rather than regretting whatever I'd done. I believe I'd have been much better served by having my bare bottom soundly spanked in those instances where I plainly deserved it - such as for lying, stealing, being rude and playing with matches. To her credit, my mother in her later years said that she would, in fact, spank me if she had it to do over again. She realized the positive difference it might well have made in my growth and development.

11. Butterfly99

+1,390
    Christian
    Single
    Lol my mom said to not even talk to him so yeah I have to edit that out.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016