• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Do you agree that christians should keep the 10 Commandments? (3)

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Elder 111, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

No i don't think Paul is talking about Health concerns when eating Hamburgers. He was talking about conscience. Our and others conscience. And He was talking about provoking the lords anger.

Co 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
    1Co 10:22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?
    1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, [U]and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, the fulness thereof:

2. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    And Paul teaches Gentiles to abstain from eating meats offered to idols in Acts

Ac 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
    Ac 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well

3. Hentenza

Hentenza I will fear no evil for You are with me Supporter

+3,225
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Paul says plainly that ALL things (in the context of food) are lawful for him but that not all things are profitable. I agree with you regarding conscience but again that is an individual decision not a prescribed decision.

25(AO)Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience' sake; 26(AP)FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS.
    27If (AQ)one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, (AR)eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake.

Paul only exhorts you not to eat it IF you are told that is has been offered to idols.

28But (AS)if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake;

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Paul's teaching in Romans 14.

4. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

No it doesn't have anything to do with Romans 14 except for the conscience part maybe. However when paul threw out circumcision for the Gentiles he still taught them to abstain from fornication and eating meats sacrificed to idols. Its a fact.

5. Elder 111

Elder 111 Member

+94
    Christian
    Married
    Originally Posted by from scratch [​IMG]
    What is meant by establish the law?
    This is what it means according to the scholars.
    1) to cause or make to stand, to place, put, set
    a) to bid to stand by, [set up]
    1) in the presence of others, in the midst, before judges, before members of the Sanhedrin;
    2) to place
    b) to make firm, fix establish
    1) to cause a person or a thing to keep his or its place
    2) to stand, be kept intact (of family, a kingdom), to escape in safety
    3) to establish a thing, cause it to stand
    a) to uphold or sustain the authority or force of anything
    c) to set or place in a balance
    1) to weigh: money to one (because in very early times before the introduction of coinage, the metals used to be weighed)
    2) to stand
    a) to stand by or near
    1) to stop, stand still, to stand immovable, stand firm
    a) of the foundation of a building
    b) to stand
    1) continue safe and sound, stand unharmed, to stand ready or prepared
    2) to be of a steadfast mind
    3) of quality, one who does not hesitate, does not waiver.
    Now tell that Paul denounce the law. We will need to completely remove this text from the bible.

Does it mean an obligation to the law?
    It mean embracing the law. It means it is a part of or christian existence.
    How?
    By the indwelling Holy Spirit doing the things of the law. Not of works but of obedience.

6. Deut 5:29

Deut 5:29 Well-Known Member

+67
    Christian
    Married
    You reference verses that say just the opposite of what you say and then you expect people to take you seriously. :confused:

7. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    This posts is messed up. Wish you would learn how to use the quote features. The definition is mine.

The definition is fine but I can't connect the statement to it in any way.I don't get what you mean Paul denounce the law. I never said Paul denounces the law, ever. Paul certianly acknowledges the law whithout any doubt. This is a far cry from teaching obligation to the law.
    The above 2 sentences don't belong to me either.

I didn't find anything close to even implying embracing in the definition. The verse doesn't mean obligation to the law. If it did, I ask for what? Paul made the point that only the doers of the law are justified. In v 23 no one qualifies. Now I think that Paul means acknowledgement of the law. Considering the total of Paul's writings it doesn't fit that here he intends obligation to to the law. So yes I see how one comes to your understanding if it is divorced fom the total context of Paul. Why would Paul say one can't be justified by the law and turn right around and say we're obligated to the law? Is it something socialiable? It isn't to establish righteousness because of his statement in v 20-22. In v 23 he states all sinned - IOW no one can keep the law. In 2:13 Paul says doers of the law are justified. Who qualifies as a doer of the law? The only one I know of is Jesus (God). Jesus even made this point with the rich young man in Mat 19.
    The above 2 sentences are not mine.

I can find no Scripture that states or implies that the Holy Spirit helps one observe or become a doer of the law. If you know of one I'd love to see it. I don't think this idea comes from the Bible. I need some puddin because the proof is in the eatin of the puddin.
    Only the v 30 quote is mine. the quote after - the law. belongs to Elder 111.

The law is a single undivisible unit shown by both Paul and James as I have previously shown and cited Scriptural support. So circumcision comes with the 10 Cs and the rest of the law you deem as belonging to Moses and not God or part of the covenant. I have very carefully investigated the matter of circumcision and the law. Circumcision is as much a part of the package as the sabbath. Yes in understand your unprovable point of the 10 Cs always being there. I have discussed this as well in the forum more than once. It simply proves that you haven't read the Bible and every thing you say comes from church instruction without examiniation.
    Only the first 3 questions belong to me.

Please carefully examine Jer 31:31-34 and consider Jesus' very own words found in 3 Gospels stating - Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. If Jesus isn't talking about the same new covenant as Jeremiah I need iidentified to me in the worst way. Please identify both new covenants.

8. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    Please explain. Oh I guess I need these - :confused::confused: cause I truely don't understand what you mean as I don't recall you ever giving an explanation about any of these verses that say other wise.

So make yourself look smart and wise and explain them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  9. Elder 111

Elder 111 Member

+94
    Christian
    Married
    From Scratch
    You are ridiculous. Why I say that? You have made the point that the law came 430 years after Abraham and that Abe did not have the 10C's. Circumcision was given to Abraham 430 year earlier. Please explain now how you claim the ten commandments and circumcision as one law?

10. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married
    Confusion and disbelief found it remedy in the Scripture.

11. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married
    No comment from the anti law people??

How could they, for they pick what suit them and discard what against them.

12. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married
    No comment from the anti law people??

How could they, for they pick what suit them and discard what against them.

13. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I cannot believe people want to throw out the basic commandments and even the entire bible. I mean people are actually teaching we can have God without His written word. Am i wrong to be disturbed by this?

14. sheina

sheina Born Crucified

+111
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You enjoy talking to yourself, Arthur? The reason why nobody is commenting is because we simply like to see you talk on and on about how self-righteous you are by "keeping the law".

Or could it be that we are all tired of the incessant diatribe of how we are all hell-bound because we fail to follow your interpretation of Scripture concerning the OT law?

15. freeChris44

freeChris44 Newbie

+3
    Christian
    Private
    You can only keep the 10 commandments by the power of His Holy Spirit.

16. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  17. Studious One

Studious One Guest

+0
    Really? So why couldn't Paul keep them? Even after his Damascus Road experience, he still admitted that he did evil at times even though he did not want to.

We are have the Holy Spirit... from the moment we believe on Christ we are sealed with the Holy Spirit. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit... His dwelling place.

Yet not one of us has the ability to keep the commandments because of the weakness of the flesh.

18. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married
    No, because the truth I believe you cannot connect those verses, as you pick what suits you and discard what is against you.

All what they can do is presenting their view, but once I refute with the Scripture, they can not defend their view. That's what happen! How can they defend their view if their view contradict the Scripture.

If you don't, then tell me the connection, for there is a connection and relation which make them come in harmony. Anyway, it is only a seemingly contradiction, if one understood the true Gospel of Christ.

19. Arthur57

Arthur57 Newbie

+7
    SDA
    Married
    That is right! Unfortunately your view is against many here who didn't believe it.

20. sheina

sheina Born Crucified

+111
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.