Do you agree that christians should keep the 10 Commandments? (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

from scratch

The 5th is taught to Christians for sure.
How? Children are singled out from the group.
Abstaining from fornication is the will of God. If you want to argue that its not a commandment knock yourself out.
Why do that? You're including it in your list of commandments to be followed by rote observance, thus law and not faith.
For some reason Im reminded of when Bill Clinton changed the definition of sexual relations in his defense.
He even asked what is the definition of is, remember. I have no idea why your stuck on this fornication thing. It doesn't condemn me because I'm not guilty of such. I see both fornication and slick willy as off topic.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're a slick one. Tell me this, would deer meat be unclean if I said it was unclean?

Nothing is unclean in itself but you don;t have to eat it if you "think" that it is unclean.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Well then may I suggest we all take Romans 14 to heart and not argue over the sabbath? Paul says the Kingdom is more than meat or observing of days. Its about brotherly love in the Holy Spirit and thats more important than the sabbath i must think. But i could easily argue for the spirit of the sabbath which is doing good and everyone needs rest.
That is why I lay down and close my eyes usually during the hours of darkness.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Same book and chapter.

14I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that (W)nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who (X)thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer (Y)walking according to love (Z)Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.

Please post the youtube link when you post it. :cool::D

Thought this was interesting.

When Peter was in Vision he told the Lord that he had never eaten anything common or unclean.

The word for unclean here is akathartos while the word for common, which is translated "unlcean" in Romans, is koinos. That word (koinos) seems to be related to things that were ceremonially unclean. This is not the same as declaring food to be unclean by nature as God did. In other words, something could be koinos, but not akathartos. Can ya dig it?

Looks like you're gonna have to wait on that video ;)

Understanding 'Unclean' in Romans 14 - Good News Magazine | United Church of God

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How? Children are singled out from the group.Why do that? You're including it in your list of commandments to be followed by rote observance, thus law and not faith.He even asked what is the definition of is, remember. I have no idea why your stuck on this fornication thing. It doesn't condemn me because I'm not guilty of such. I see both fornication and slick willy as off topic.

Fornication directly relates to the 7th and possibly 10th commandments. Im not trying to condemn you brother. Im reiterating the fact that abstaining from fornication is Gods will and therefor so is abstaining from adultery because the answer to fornication is usually marriage.

Q:What about the promise that the 5th commandment includes? Is Paul saying that the promise is still true? And if so wouldn't that make the 5th commandment still true also?

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To you yes. To me no! Does it affect the meat? No!

That's the point my dear sir. But if you take a look at my post and read the link I provided in #764, you'll see where I'm coming from. Not that I expect you to come out agree, but at least we'll have a mutual understanding.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Fornication directly relates to the 7th and possibly 10th commandments. Im not trying to condemn you brother. Im reiterating the fact that abstaining from fornication is Gods will and therefor so is abstaining from adultery because the answer to fornication is usually marriage.

Q:What about the promise that the 5th commandment includes? Is Paul saying that the promise is still true? And if so wouldn't that make the 5th commandment still true also?
This is all covered in Jer 31:31-34.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

That's the point my dear sir. But if you take a look at my post and read the link I provided in #764, you'll see where I'm coming from. Not that I expect you to come out agree, but at least we'll have a mutual understanding.
Stryder why do you still insist am I ignorant? You know better than that. I understand your position very well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thought this was interesting.

When Peter was in Vision he told the Lord that he had never eaten anything common or unclean.

The word for unclean here is akathartos while the word for common, which is translated "unlcean" in Romans, is koinos. That word (koinos) seems to be related to things that were ceremonially unclean. This is not the same as declaring food to be unclean by nature as God did. In other words, something could be koinos, but not akathartos. Can ya dig it?

Looks like you're gonna have to wait on that video ;)

Understanding 'Unclean' in Romans 14 - Good News Magazine | United Church of God

That doesn't hold water. The Greek word koinos is defined as "2839 koinós – properly, common, referring to what is defiled (stripped of specialness) because treated as ordinary ("common"). 2839 /koinós ("defiled") describes the result of a person reducing what God calls special (holy, set apart) – to what is mundane, i.e. stripping it of its sacredness."

Source

BTW- Peter's vision also teaches that all foods are clean just as Paul does. There is no contradiction between the two.

ETA:
Acts 10
14But Peter said, "By no means, (S)Lord, for (T)I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean." 15Again a voice came to him a second time, "(U)What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

God has cleansed, no longer unholy. Pretty clear to me.

Video? ;)

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

You didn't answer the question bro. Please don't dodge my question.
I didn't dodge any question. I have already answered it more than once. You just ignore or dismiss. So why repeat? You appear to love circles hoping something new will pop up. If one stays on the same circle track the secenry should be the same. Maybe one of these days you will open your eyes and check out the sights.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He teaches the same thing as in Col. 3 to obey your parents (which is the first commandment with promise). Again, all commandments except for the 4th are reiterated by Jesus as part of the two greatest commandments not as part of the 10 c's which were part of the law.

1 Corinthians 11:1(NKJV)
1Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Luke 4:16(NKJV)
16So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

Acts 17:2(NKJV)
2Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Acts 13:42(NKJV)
42So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

seems to me, the gentiles could have requested any other day to meet, but they requested the next sabbath! also, here is a chance for the apostle paul to clear up whether or not the sabbath was still binding and in fact, establish sunday as the new worship day.

it's strange that paul doesn't on this occassion say, we no longer have to keep the sabbath, nor does he establish sunday, but rather:

Acts 13:44(NKJV)
44On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

so, you guys keep your blinders on and act like verses like these aren't in the bible!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't hold water. The Greek word koinos is defined as "2839 koinós – properly, common, referring to what is defiled (stripped of specialness) because treated as ordinary ("common"). 2839 /koinós ("defiled") describes the result of a person reducing what God calls special (holy, set apart) – to what is mundane, i.e. stripping it of its sacredness."

Source

BTW- Peter's vision also teaches that all foods are clean just as Paul does. There is no contradiction between the two.

ETA:
Acts 10
14But Peter said, "By no means, (S)Lord, for (T)I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean." 15Again a voice came to him a second time, "(U)What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

Video? ;)

LOL Man why do I bother ^_^

How is it that when one word totally proves something to be the opposite of what you believe it doesn't hold water, but when it supports it you get all linguistic :p

The word used by Paul is commonly used to talk about ceremonial cleanliness. How does it change suddenly when it comes to this text?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't dodge any question. I have already answered it more than once. You just ignore or dismiss. So why repeat? You appear to love circles hoping something new will pop up. If one stays on the same circle track the secenry should be the same. Maybe one of these days you will open your eyes and check out the sights.

Ok. Please repost your answer. Perhaps i missed it.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Funny thing is that for whatever reason, it is assumed that the Jews Jesus called as His disciples stopped being Jews. You know if the 4th commandment had been done away with, or even all ten for that matter, it would have been established in no uncertain terms, simply because of how serious that would have been. But hey, what do I know right?

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Source

ETA:
Acts 10

Video? ;)

but what did God cleanse?

if one reads further in the text one would find the answer and it wasn't food

Acts 10:28(NKJV)
28Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

now, i ask, is this verse speaking of food?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.