Do We Really Believe in the Resurrection of the Dead?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2Mc 7:1-2,9-14; 2Thes 2:16-3:5; Lk 20:27-38

I was struck as I watched the video of my father’s funeral some months ago, seeing the coffin being lowered slowly into the grave as the family and friends offered prayers for him. I seriously asked myself then how authentic was my faith in the resurrection of the dead. I believe but, in the face of the death of a loved one, I sensed that I could believe more. I begged the Lord then for the grace to really believe in this powerful article of our faith.

We have prayed the Creed so many times, professing numerous times that we believe in the resurrection of the dead. But do we ever pause to ask ourselves if we really believe in the resurrection of the dead? In other words, does this belief impact our lives in a deep way?

Continued below.
Do We Really Believe in the Resurrection of the Dead?

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't have much difficulty in believing it, although I've yet to be put to the test of facing death myself.

I've said ad infinitum that the night my father died, he turned up in my bedroom. We talked and argued and at the end he gave this almighty scream and then disappeared. In his case I think he went to hell.

A psychiatrist I used to go to (he's now retired) said that about 3 or 4 years ago he was at a Catholic mass. They announced one of the parishioners had died that morning. He said "She was in the church". He could see her. He said she seemed to be trying to contact him but gave up, and moved towards the other side of the church where he thought she might have had family. I think the reason he was allowed to see her (and probably nobody else) was that she'd also been one of his patients.

A lady I used to transport as part of my last job said on the night her husband died, something white sat on the foot of the bed. She was freaking out, but it turned out to be her husband who had just died in hospital. He apologised to her for his abusive behaviour. Her eldest daughter had exactly the same experience at about the same time as apparently of all the children he was most abusive to her.

Granted they were all in spiritual mode only with the "glorified body" to come later. My father looked "ghostly" and I could see through him or focus on him, like smoke rising from a camp fire. You can focus on it if you choose, or you can focus on and talk to somebody sitting on the other side.

But even Christ was in "human spiritual" mode for a time viz. Luke 23:46 NIV "Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last."

Later though he materialised on a number of occasions, in the room where they were hiding, to the two disciples walking to Emmaus, and on the shore when Peter and the other fishermen were back at their old trade.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've said ad infinitum that the night my father died, he turned up in my bedroom. We talked and argued and at the end he gave this almighty scream and then disappeared. In his case I think he went to hell.
After my mom died, I dreamt that I was in an awful place with zombie-like people attacking me. As my mom entered this room, I ran out and around a wall where I was safe. From the other side of the wall, I could hear my mom say "It is bad--you were right."
I know only God knows where my mom is, but I pray that her soul is in purgatory every night.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
After my mom died, I dreamt that I was in an awful place with zombie-like people attacking me. As my mom entered this room, I ran out and around a wall where I was safe. From the other side of the wall, I could hear my mom say "It is bad--you were right."
I know only God knows where my mom is, but I pray that her soul is in purgatory every night.
Pray she makes it to Heaven.

Did you refer to hell or purgatory to her alive?

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Pray she makes it to Heaven.

Did you refer to hell or purgatory to her alive?

My mom was an atheist, so I pray that she's in purgatory and can one day go to heaven.

Upvote 0