Do We Pray To Christ's Body?

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know the title seems strange, but bear with me.

Most of us take for granted that we can pray to Christ; that He is capable of hearing our prayers and acting on them and that He, furthermore, is present with each one of us. In fact, many of us would go so far as to say that, He is, all-present, all-powerful, all-knowing ect.

So how could a human nature possess all these attributes or does it? Is Christ as a Man, aware of every prayer; does He, as a Man act on them? Furthermore, can He as a Man, be present with each one of us? And is He, as a Man, all-powerful and all-knowing?

I would like to hear answers from a wide variety of people. I don't know how much I will respond but I'll be reading! Thanks!

Last edited:

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Most of us take for granted that we can pray to Christ; that He is capable of hearing our prayers and acting on them and that He, furthermore, is present with each one of us. In fact, many of us would go so far as to say that, He is, all-present, all-powerful, all-knowing ect.

So how could a human nature possess all these attributes or does it? Is Christ as a Man, aware of every prayer; does He, as a Man act on them? Furthermore, can He as a Man, be present with each one of us? And is He, as a Man, all-powerful and all-knowing?

I would like to hear answers from a wide variety of people. I don't know how much I will respond but I'll be reading! Thanks!
Jesus is one person not two people. A person has a will and a rational mind. He has two natures combined in a hypostatic union, He is fully human and fully Devine. He is God and He is the Second person of the Trinity who became incarnate. The Trinity is composed of three people, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit with one nature. That nature is God. So when you pray to Jesus you are praying to God. Jesus will hear your prayer and act on them in His Devine nature. I hope this answers the questions you have asked, if not ask more questions.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From that hypostastic union (which you explained), does Christ's Divine nature impart to His human nature, such things as, being all-knowing, all-powerful, ect. and able to hear and act on the prayers of each and every one?
Jesus is one person not two people. A person has a will and a rational mind. He has two natures combined in a hypostatic union, He is fully human and fully Devine. He is God and He is the Second person of the Trinity who became incarnate. The Trinity is composed of three people, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit with one nature. That nature is God. So when you pray to Jesus you are praying to God. Jesus will hear your prayer and act on them in His Devine nature. I hope this answers the questions you have asked, if not ask more questions.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From that hypostastic union (which you explained), does Christ's Divine nature impart to His human nature, such things as, being all-knowing, all-powerful, ect. and able to hear and act on the prayers of each and every one?
No the human nature is a human nature and is limited in the same way all humans are, However, the Divine nature can communicate information to the human nature just as God can speak to any of us. Having said that His human nature is aware of His Divine nature. Jesus knows who and what He is.
In 451the Council of Chalcedon agreed to the following explanation:
“Following, then, the holy Fathers, we all unanimously teach that our Lord Jesus Christ is to us One and the same Son, the Self-same Perfect in Godhead, the Self-same Perfect in Manhood; truly God and truly Man; the Self-same of a rational soul and body; co-essential with the Father according to the Godhead, the Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin apart; before the ages begotten of the Father as to the Godhead, but in the last days, the Self-same, for us and for our salvation (born) of Mary the Virgin Theotokos as to the Manhood; One and the Same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten; acknowledged in Two Natures unconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the difference of the Natures being in no way removed because of the Union, but rather the properties of each Nature being preserved, and (both) concurring into One Person and One Hypostasis; not as though He were parted or divided into Two Persons, but One and the Self-same Son and Only-begotten God, Word, Lord, Jesus Christ; even as from the beginning the prophets have taught concerning Him, and as the Lord Jesus Christ Himself hath taught us, and as the Symbol of the Fathers hath handed down to us.”

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No the human nature is a human nature and is limited in the same way all humans are, However, the Divine nature can communicate information to the human nature just as God can speak to any of us. Having said that His human nature is aware of His Divine nature. Jesus knows who and what He is.
In 451the Council of Chalcedon agreed to the following explanation:
“Following, then, the holy Fathers, we all unanimously teach that our Lord Jesus Christ is to us One and the same Son, the Self-same Perfect in Godhead, the Self-same Perfect in Manhood; truly God and truly Man; the Self-same of a rational soul and body; co-essential with the Father according to the Godhead, the Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin apart; before the ages begotten of the Father as to the Godhead, but in the last days, the Self-same, for us and for our salvation (born) of Mary the Virgin Theotokos as to the Manhood; One and the Same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten; acknowledged in Two Natures unconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the difference of the Natures being in no way removed because of the Union, but rather the properties of each Nature being preserved, and (both) concurring into One Person and One Hypostasis; not as though He were parted or divided into Two Persons, but One and the Self-same Son and Only-begotten God, Word, Lord, Jesus Christ; even as from the beginning the prophets have taught concerning Him, and as the Lord Jesus Christ Himself hath taught us, and as the Symbol of the Fathers hath handed down to us.”
ooops I have no idea how to fix this so I dont end up talking to myself lol

Upvote 0

Revelation 22:10-12

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus Christ had existed before His incarnation as the God that men had seen in the O.T. Jesus testified that Moses had written of Him.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life...…….46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

If you are wondering about 1 Timothy 2:5 as signifying the man Christ Jesus, I believe that is referring to the Son that had become incarnated, crucified, resurrected, and ascended to the right hand of God the Father to be our only Mediator between us and God the Father. It is an important significant role so that every believer knows that there is no other Divine Mediator between us and the Father to go to; Not Mary, not the departed saints, and not even the Holy Spirit as Jesus explains why.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Does the Holy Spirit has a hand in answering prayers; yes, but not in the way we would think when He will give the glory of answered prayers to the Son as He is the One that answers prayers so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

How? Jesus takes our intercessions, the silent intercessions of the Holy Spirit's, and His own intercessions to the Father so whenever the Father says "Yes" to any of those intercessions, the Son answers the prayer for why we give the Father "thanks" in Jesus's name.

I am not sure if that is the reason why you referenced the man Christ Jesus, but only God hears prayers and Jesus Christ is the only way to approach God the Father in prayer, BUT only Christ Jesus answers prayers because He is also God so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers. The "man Christ Jesus" is to signify the Son of God/Son of Man and not think the Holy Spirit is Another Mediator between God & man also when there is only One Mediator between us & the Father.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ had existed before His incarnation as the God that men had seen in the O.T. Jesus testified that Moses had written of Him.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life...…….46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

If you are wondering about 1 Timothy 2:5 as signifying the man Christ Jesus, I believe that is referring to the Son that had become incarnated, crucified, resurrected, and ascended to the right hand of God the Father to be our only Mediator between us and God the Father. It is an important significant role so that every believer knows that there is no other Divine Mediator between us and the Father to go to; Not Mary, not the departed saints, and not even the Holy Spirit as Jesus explains why.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Does the Holy Spirit has a hand in answering prayers; yes, but not in the way we would think when He will give the glory of answered prayers to the Son as He is the One that answers prayers so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

How? Jesus takes our intercessions, the silent intercessions of the Holy Spirit's, and His own intercessions to the Father so whenever the Father says "Yes" to any of those intercessions, the Son answers the prayer for why we give the Father "thanks" in Jesus's name.

I am not sure if that is the reason why you referenced the man Christ Jesus, but only God hears prayers and Jesus Christ is the only way to approach God the Father in prayer, BUT only Christ Jesus answers prayers because He is also God so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers. The "man Christ Jesus" is to signify the Son of God/Son of Man and not think the Holy Spirit is Another Mediator between God & man also when there is only One Mediator between us & the Father.
looks like you may have a couple of Theological errors in your post or I may have misunderstood you. Jesus did not exist prior to the incarnation, The Son or second member of the Trinity has always existed and became incarnate. You also see to be saying that the Trinity is not coequal. This link may help explain the relationship. How can there be subordination / hierarchy in the Trinity?

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To you both, thanks for replying! Maybe a little clarification is needed. My question would fall under the theological heading, 'The Communication of Divine Attributes'. So let me rephrase my question. How far does the communication of Divine attributes within the hypostatic union extend?

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Where in scripture does anyone pray to Jesus?
What about Stephen? Acts 7:59 says: While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about Stephen? Acts 7:59 says: While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.
Interesting, thanks. There are far more examples of praying to the Father. However Jesus said He and the Father are one. Its hard for me to understand this.

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, thanks. There are far more examples of praying to the Father. However Jesus said He and the Father are one. Its hard for me to understand this.
maybe I can help with this.
We would probably all agree that there is One God. We also would all agree that Jesus is God. But there needs to be some clarification on how Jesus is God and how Jesus can say He and the Father are one.
The scriptures teach that there is one God who created all things. But it also says God created all things through Christ and by Christ. But how could this happen?
God said he created all things by himself and also said there is no Savior beside me, but who was speaking. Well obviously God was.
If we look at scripture and God as the Jews looked at God with a strict monotheist viewpoint we would see why some of the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because he as a man made himself to be God and claimed to be the I AM, and to say before Abraham was I AM.
To the Jews there was but one God and He was Spirit and was not three person God.
The Jews believed the Messiah that would come would be their God manifest in the flesh "Isaiah 9:6" This Messiah would be the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father coming to them as a man. Their problem was they rejected Jesus as the Messiah (because they knew him) but not the fact that the Messiah would be their God.
This is why Believing Jews such as Paul and some other writers of the New test could say things like Jesus was God manifest in flesh, and Jesus was the image of the invisible God. They understood Jesus as being the one old testament God having revealed himself in the Flesh as the Man Christ Jesus. They did not see Jesus as a second Person they understood Jesus was God incarnate. So they understood when Jesus would say I and the Father are one, meaning the selfsame one not one as in a relationship.
So when Jesus says he that hath seen me hath seen the Father, why? because Jesus was the Father manifest in flesh. Also the scripture says all the fullness of the godhead dwells in Jesus but does not say Jesus was in the godhead. In other words all the fullness of what God is was in Jesus. Otherwise it may say something like all the fullness of the trinity is in God.
The point is that when you pray to Jesus you are praying to the one God of creation who is on the throne as the glorified Messiah.
The trinity on the other hand came about when the majority of the church were gentiles and Greeks. They did not see God the same way as the Jew did since they come from a polytheist point of view. It was normative for them to worship a multiplicity of Gods so when the though of Jesus as the Son of God the easiest explanation of how this could be was to look at it from a polytheist perspective and the thought that this had to be a separate person thus the beginning of the trinity.

• Useful
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I have struggled with some of the same questions. Here is what I've concluded:
In the Hypostatic Union there is some communication of attributes. This is because Christ is one Person. For example, the human nature of Christ did things the human nature normally can't do (walk on water, raise from the dead etc.), and the divine nature of Christ did things the divine nature normally can't do (being born, suffer death etc.). It is first and foremost Christ the Person who did all these things - a Person who happen to have two natures.

As a self-identified (struggling) Catholic, you know very well that in the Eucharist, Christ is present with his Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. Human body and blood normally can't do that, but because Christ becomes sacramentally and really present, his human nature "tag along", so to speak. We can even in a sense say that Christ's human nature has been "divinized" or "infused with divinity".

The error of Nestorius was excactly to regard the two natures of Christ as two wooden planks glued together, without communicating attributes - that's why he denied Mary being the Mother of God (Theotokos). But we mustn't stray into the error or Eutyches, who said that Christ's human nature was dissolved into the divine one like a drop of honey in the sea - thereby creating a third, new nature.

So no, Christ according to his human nature alone cannot do those things you describe. But that's excactly where the problem lies: we cannot speak of Christ according to his human nature alone, as it is inseparable from (yet not confused with) the divine nature in the Person of Christ.

Upvote 0