Do we need DHS?

Do we need the Department of Homeland Security?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have a simple question. Do we need to have a Department of Homeland Security? Is there a need for a separate Cabinet Department when all the functions that are currently done by DHS were done by other agencies for years, and without the additional overhead needed for a whole new department.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a simple question. Do we need to have a Department of Homeland Security? Is there a need for a separate Cabinet Department when all the functions that are currently done by DHS were done by other agencies for years, and without the additional overhead needed for a whole new department.

DHS was formed 17 years ago, so no, it's not a whole new department. Other components of the DHS include the US Coast Guard, Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and the Secret Service. There are also a number of secretary offices that serve as Homeland Security agencies in overseeing other aspects of national security.

It brings centralized communications under one 'roof'.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It brings centralized communications under one 'roof'.

..or so one might assume. I would not bet on it. For years the Army and Air Force had problems communicating on the battle field...long after the DoD was created.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They just weaponized sound scripture. You can't have agencies investigating each other, and at the time especially over 9/11.

Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say yes. DHS has improved the sub agencies in many ways and has eliminated a lot of waste that occurred when the agencies were completely separate. I have done work for many of these agencies over the years and while there is still waste in many areas, they have improved efficiency in many costly areas of the organizations. Much still needs to be done but there has been great improvement and cost reductions already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Man puts so much emphasis on what powerful institutions they may build but they are all dependant on other inventions of man and so the mighty shall fall at their own hand. In today's world especially all the power and glory is gone in an instant as soon as the power goes out. If it stays out blessed are they that depended on what God provides rather than the intelligence of man. Recent history has shown even the most sophisticated of weaponry is no match against primitive man.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I am not entirely certain if the DHS is related to this, but after 9/11 I remember hearing that so many of the individual organizations were not exchanging information sufficiently to keep us safe, so moves were put in place to make sure sharing of intelligence was broader. I don't know if the DHS covers that or if the controls have been enacted, but certainly, as you said there were many groups doing the various roles.

I personally wonder if the TSA is worthy of our tax dollars. I want to feel safe getting on a plane but it also sounds like TSA has some issues that compromise it's value just based on the various reports that have come out over the years.

I once heard that the Israelis are experts at assessing threat risks of fliers using people who watch individuals in the crowds, but again, I don't know how effective that is.

Upvote 0