Do we lose our sexuality in heaven?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It was a question about the apparent discrepency of your statement

Oh. I don't see what the two women in Zechariah's vision have to do with angels. Neither of them were angels. In context, they are distinguished from the angel who was speaking to Zechariah. Although I am convinced that men and women will be in heaven, I am also convinced that none of them will be transformed into literal angels, all of which are described in the Bible in male terminology.

Now, if you include other beings such and seraphim and cherubim, of which scripture has much less to say, especially regarding any possible gender they might possess, then you can speculate to your heart's content.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Seems like most argue theres no sexual identity - which makes me wonder why all the testosterone over male leadership if all that disappears in heaven - seems like your gender doesnt matter.

Perhaps a related question might be whether or not there are sexual hormones in heaven. Without the hormones one might have the proper plumbing, but there will be no interest.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think most would have a hard time imagining what they will be doing when they don't have to toil for food and the basic necessities of life. so much of our creature-life has such things in mind.

even creativity is in part an adaptation to please others in the tribe thus contributing in some manner to the tribe if they could not do other useful things such as gather food-stuffs or whatnot. you would be surprised how much your sexuality has an influence in why you do what you do. it is hard to resist millions nay billions of years of evolution.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ignoring the fact that most of your references are from unorthodox sources which are about as valid as the Kama Sutra in determining Christian belief, we are still faced with the apparent evidence that angels only have one gender - male.

I don't hold extrabiblical sources as divinely inspired, but I do consider them an important resource for understanding the interpretational history of certain biblical passages. Genesis 6 was largely understood by the early Jews as depicting angelic sexual desire and activity.

As for the lack of evidence for female angels, this does not negate the above point. Angels appear to have the bodily capacity for sex. Therefore, whatever Jesus meant when he said our resurrected selves will be like angels, it didn't mean asexuality.

On a side note, I think there exists strong analogical evidence that angels are gender binary beings. For example, all other "male" higher-order creatures have an opposite sexual counterpart. If it wasn't good for man, why is it good for angels? Just because they are never explicitly mentioned doesn't mean they don't exist. Perhaps their role precludes them from interacting with humans. However, this is all speculation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Seems like most argue theres no sexual identity - which makes me wonder why all the testosterone over male leadership if all that disappears in heaven - seems like your gender doesnt matter.
I think leadership is determined by a person's level of integrity, not whether they are male or female.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Immortal beings don't need to reproduce. There's no evidence that God wants the entire universe populated or that anything but Earth is ours to inhabit.

Except He commanded Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful, and multiply" BEFORE there was sin, death, etc.

Also, if we're stuck on Earth for eternity, then what a waste of the rest of the cosmos; sounds more like a prison than Paradise, IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well there is no such thing as female angels so I imagine we will all be more similar.

But yes, gender won't matter. I'm obviously not sure how it will work exactly but I do know that male leadership is commanded here in the fallen world

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we will lose it. And thank goodness for that. I resent my sin drive.

Matthew 22:30

1. God made sex and explicitly called it "good"; it's Satan and man that perverted it.

2. That verse has nothing to do with sex in eternity, just the old Levirate law of marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. God made sex and called it good; it's Satan and man that perverted it.

2. That verse has nothing to do with sex in eternity; just the old Levirate law of marriage.
It's not good when you're single. All it is is sin. I can't touch without sinning according to most. And I can't look at women without so much as even thinking about sex at least a little bit. Yes, I resent it.

As to the second, there is no sexuality in heaven. The verse is self explanatory.

Upvote 0

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It never says that; you're just putting words into the verse.
What is it with the arguing on here? Can't post anything without someone trying to pick an argument.

So you think what, that there is sex in heaven?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Except He commanded Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply" BEFORE there was sin, death, etc.

Because God did not know that it would happen? Did the Fall of Man catch God by surprise? The truth is, you do not know that God commanded it before there was sin and death. You know only that it was written in that order. Were there any children by the time they ate the fruit? Were they really that quick to steal the fruit, or were they really that slow to experiment with sex?

Also, if we're stuck on Earth for eternity, then what a waste of the rest of the cosmos -- sounds more like a prison than Paradise, IMO.

I'm sure Eve felt the same way about the forbidden fruit. In all the universe, only one planet was given to us. In all the Earth, only one tree was kept from us. We defiled the thing that was God's. God defiled the thing that was ours.

The universe is not wasted simply because only God can have it. An uneaten fruit is not wasted simply because no human will eat it, either. The only difference between a prison and a home is contentment.

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Because God did not know that it would happen? Did the Fall of Man catch God by surprise? The truth is, you do not know that God commanded it before there was sin and death. You know only that it was written in that order. Were there any children by the time they ate the fruit? Were they really that quick to steal the fruit, or were they really that slow to experiment with sex?

I'm sure Eve felt the same way about the forbidden fruit. In all the universe, only one planet was given to us. In all the Earth, only one tree was kept from us. We defiled the thing that was God's. God defiled the thing that was ours.

The universe is not wasted simply because only God can have it. An uneaten fruit is not wasted simply because no human will eat it, either. The only difference between a prison and a home is contentment.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gender is a part of our identity that would remain. Sexual activity if it is really good is sometimes thought of as like going to Heaven. That representation of Heaven would show that pleasure in Heaven will not be less than that. Because it was not permitted to be revealed to us what it is, there is something else greater than sexual sensation that will be for saved believers after this life here.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Gender is a part of our identity that would remain. Sexual activity if it is really good is sometimes thought of as like going to Heaven. That representation of Heaven would show that pleasure in Heaven will not be less than that. Because it was not permitted to be revealed to us what it is, there is something else greater than sexual sensation that will be for saved believers after this life here.

That is pleasant speculation. The only thing we actually know is that there will be no marriage or giving in marriage in heaven.

Upvote 0

Irkle Berserkle

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2021
Arizona
✟16,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It would never even have occurred to me that anyone might think there was. I've been a Christian since 1970, and I've never even seen this issue discussed.

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage" - but they fornicate? Is that the notion?

My belief is that the bliss of heaven will make any pleasure we now derive from sex pale in comparison. We will be transformed and redeemed beings living in the presence of God; pleasurable as it may be, sex is a human activity that primarily serves the purpose of procreation.

The man and woman coming together as one flesh is a model of the unity between Christ and the body of Christ on earth. That model will fall away when the saved are actually in the presence of Christ.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

bbbbbbb said:
That is pleasant speculation. The only thing we actually know is that there will be no marriage or giving in marriage in heaven.

Hello bbbbbbb, I hope your Christmas was great. There are scripture passages that lend themselves to my understanding it this way, not that I know for certain how it will be.

1 Corinthians 2:9, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

2 Corinthians 12:4, one was "caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter."

Irkle Berserkle said:
It would never even have occurred to me that anyone might think there was. I've been a Christian since 1970, and I've never even seen this issue discussed.

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage" - but they fornicate? Is that the notion?

My belief is that the bliss of heaven will make any pleasure we now derive from sex pale in comparison. We will be transformed and redeemed beings living in the presence of God; pleasurable as it may be, sex is a human activity that primarily serves the purpose of procreation.

The man and woman coming together as one flesh is a model of the unity between Christ and the body of Christ on earth. That model will fall away when the saved are actually in the presence of Christ.

Where did you get that I was speaking of fornication in Heaven? Or any sexual activity? I was not speaking of that. I was concluding that there is pleasure greater than sexual pleasure, that we don't know about, in the bliss in Heaven with God.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello Fred

I did have a good Christmas and trust yours was also joyous. I think we are all in agreement that Heaven is a place of inexpressible joy and bliss. What form this takes has not been revealed to us. I think that is probably because we cannot comprehend it with our mortal minds.

Upvote 0