Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith alone justifies, but real faith is never alone, it is accompanied by good works.

Faith alone justifies, but real faith is never alone, it is accompanied by good works.
Amen! It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) of works if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony* :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why not say that a Messiah didn't yet come to physically interfere with this world but did what was needed to be done to establish the Kingdom of God. We have faith in the King and that He and His Kingdom are a reality and that the selflessness and justice there will over-rule the self serving, gain at the expense of others system man has created. Oppression has been overcome and we have chosen the better system (repented) and will strive to live in it for now and in the Kingdom to come. Might be longer but leaves little to the imagination of theologists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟193,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi and read m Rom 10:9 WE BELIEVE WITH THE HEART !!

In Rom 10:10 For with the HEART he believes to righteousness !!

I believe what Christ does to the HEART and helps explain Rom 10:9 and 10 !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is written behold the lamb of God that takes way the sins of the world. Thats done.. but just like parent.. my kids.. are mine.. always will be.. but they can still hurt me.. we live in the flesh.. we still can sin.. miss it.. and ANYONE if you sin.. the price the wages of sin is death.. in this world.. always repent

Upvote 0

Inagony

Feb 14, 2019
Texas
✟61,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is written behold the lamb of God that takes way the sins of the world. Thats done.. but just like parent.. my kids.. are mine.. always will be.. but they can still hurt me.. we live in the flesh.. we still can sin.. miss it.. and ANYONE if you sin.. the price the wages of sin is death.. in this world.. always repent

What do you mean in this world?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,847.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen! It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) of works if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony* :oldthumbsup:

The problem with this argument is that it is circular. If you understand what is sentence logic, if I were to say, If P implies Q, it also means not Q implies not P.

So if P is Faith that justifies, and Q is works, the moment you say Faith that justifies implies you can see works, its the same as saying that if you don't see any works, that means your faith did not justify you.

Which is actually saying the same thing as justification requires Faith AND works.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Which is actually saying the same thing as justification requires Faith AND works.
Why not just say rejection of the will of man for the will of God? Is there a need to seek gain at the expense of others, or worse yet support those who do?

Upvote 0

Dia Pisteos

May 28, 2019
South East
✟8,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi to all and Peter says in Acts 2:38 that you have to repent !!

Is that for all that are saved TODAY ??

dan p
Every word must be isolated to its context. Faith and Repent are sometimes used as synonyms. Sometimes "repent" has nothing to do with salvation, but for the saved person to get back into fellowship. You will not find the word repent in John's Gospel or Galatians. If we become wooden literal, and not "Normal Literal" keeping the words in the context of the author to its historical audience, then we can get things rather messed up and confused.

The message of Salvation is one thing and one thing only from Genesis to the last verse in Revelation, By God's Grace Alone, Through Faith Alone, In Jesus Christ Alone and To the Glory of God Alone. All of this in keeping with Grace, "unmerited favor" meaning not of works so that no one can bost. The entire book of John and Galatians never use the word repent, but in some cases repent simply means what faith means unto salvation. In other cases, it is to come back into fellowship, having quenched the Spirit of God within us.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The entire book of John and Galatians never use the word repent, but in some cases repent simply means what faith means unto salvation. In other cases, it is to come back into fellowship, having quenched the Spirit of God within us.
So you see no need to reject the self serving ways of mankind which are adversarial to the governance of God, having found a way to serve both the governance of man and the governance of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

food4thought

Loving truth
Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with this argument is that it is circular. If you understand what is sentence logic, if I were to say, If P implies Q, it also means not Q implies not P.

So if P is Faith that justifies, and Q is works, the moment you say Faith that justifies implies you can see works, its the same as saying that if you don't see any works, that means your faith did not justify you.

Isn't faith itself a work? Hmmmmm….

John 6:28-29 NKJV Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" (29) Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Also consider the hall of faith, Hebrews 11. Did not each of these heroes of the faith demonstrate the genuineness of their faith thru what they did?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our works do not save us, they simply demonstrate that we are saved... my quote of Jesus was simply to show that we don't know exactly how a person becomes saved, the process is murky. We just know that faith alone saves [is that really a work? How does that mesh with Paul's statement that our faith is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8)]. The honest answer, IMO, is that we just don't fully understand the process.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,847.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't faith itself a work? Hmmmmm….

John 6:28-29 NKJV Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" (29) Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Also consider the hall of faith, Hebrews 11. Did not each of these heroes of the faith demonstrate the genuineness of their faith thru what they did?

I suppose you are not of mid acts dispensation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

food4thought

Loving truth
Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meaning His Gospel of the Kingdom and His commandments

That is probably the correct way of understanding it... so when do you think the gospel of the Kingdom was set aside (until the fulness of the gentiles are brought in)?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,847.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I am still working out where I stand, but I lean towards the Acts 2 view.

Yeah, I can sense that. Here is how a Mid Acts dispensationalist would address your point about Hebrews 11.

Hebrews 11 showed that, in the past, faith had to be shown by works. God does not change in terms of the plan for salvation, salvation has always been by grace thru faith. This was true under law and remains true under grace. Grace is always from God but faith comes from us.

What changes is how we displayed faith. While the principles of God never change, His
dealings with men, do change from time to time.

This includes even the terms of acceptance with God. At first blood sacrifices were required (Gen. 4:3-5, Heb. 11:4); then, later, circumcision was added (Gen. 17:14); then obedience to the whole Mosaic law was demanded (Ex. 19:5, 6, Rom. 10:5); then "the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins" (Mark 1:4, Acts 2:38)

and today it is
"TO HIM THAT WORKETH NOT, BUT BELIEVETH ON HIM THAT

JUSTIFIETH THE UNGODLY; HIS FAITH IS COUNTED FOR

RIGHTEOUSNESS” (Rom. 4:5).

During the age of the law, you exhibit faith by "obeying the law", all the Jews have to obey the law. It is true that all the saints of past ages were saved through the merits of Christ's shed blood, but not through their faith in that shed blood.

Those of past ages were expected to believe only what God had thus far revealed, or what He had revealed to them. In other words, they were saved simply because they trusted God and believed what He said. The full plan of salvation has since been unfolded, but the Scriptures make it crystal clear that these believers were saved without even understanding that Christ would die for them.

When God says, "Sacrifice an animal every time you sin," what will faith do? Just one thing: sacrifice an animal whenever you sin. We know, thanks to Hebrews, that such sacrifices are a mere shadow of the coming Jesus as the final Lamb, yet not one of their hearers would have interpreted this action to mean what it meant in Paul's Gospel: "Trust in the death of Christ for salvation."

But once the age of grace began, this is now what is required to show faith.

"BUT NOW the righteousness of God without the law is manifested" (Rom. 3:21);

"To him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom. 4:5)

"Being Justified freely by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 3:24);

"In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace" (Eph. 1:7);

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us" (Tit. 3:5);

"Not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast" (Eph. 2:8,9)

When God now says this, what will faith do? Faith will say, "This is the most wonderful offer ever made by God to man. I cannot refuse it. I will trust Christ as my Savior and accept salvation as the free gift of God's grace."

Trust me when I tell you, everyone else from the Old Testament, King David, Noah, even the 4 Gospels guys such as Peter, James and John, will be very envious about you.

Their conditions for showing faith were not as simple as what we have to do, under the age of Grace.

Noah had to build an ark. (Hebrews 11:7)

Abel had to bring the correct sacrifice (Gen 4:4-5, Heb. 11:4)

Abraham had to believe, at his advanced years, that God would make him a father of many (Genesis 15:5-6)

Rahab had to hide the spies, at the risk of being caught and punished (Hebrews 11:31)

The point is that, by the time it reach us Gentiles, thanks to Jesus ushering the age of Grace, all we need to do, in order to display faith, is simply believing and speaking.

This is the most wonderful offer ever made by God to man. I cannot refuse it. I will trust Christ as my Savior and accept salvation as the free gift of God's grace." :)

We simply believe the message, that Jesus Christ has started and completed the work required for our salvation and we cease from our work and believe it. If we do that, we will receive the same righteousness as Abraham received (Gal 3:6-9). I especially like the NLT version.

6 In the same way, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” 7 The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God. 8 What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would make the Gentiles right in his sight because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.”[c] 9 So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.

• Informative
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
so when do you think the gospel of the Kingdom was set aside (until the fulness of the gentiles are brought in)?
The predominantly gentile church dropped the Kingdom in favour of a return to the world of man when it joined Rome as a power in it's own right over the people and eventually over nations until the purpose of the gentiles was fulfilled. It rejected the governance of the Father to align itself with the governance of man and form it's own kingdom. Typical of man..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,847.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is probably the correct way of understanding it... so when do you think the gospel of the Kingdom was set aside (until the fulness of the gentiles are brought in)?

So do most Acts 2 dispensationalists believe that it was set aside in Acts 2, before Pentecost?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We simply believe the message, that Jesus Christ has started and completed the work required for our salvation and we cease from our work and believe it.
Then Jesus wasted His breath giving us the Gospel of the Kingdom and His two commandments. It like the serpent asking Eve 'surely he didn't mean that'. Jesus didn't mean what he said about repenting of what got man kicked out of the Garden in the first place... our self serving ways and our self determination of what is good and evil? Do we think we can have it both ways?

Upvote 0