Do we have to keep all the New Testament commands?

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's as if something inside my brain was modified by God.
There are hormones in the brain and glands that produce those hormones. God can help us to keep all of that under control.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
show me the passages of Scripture which teach this.
You want a scripture about Angels and Books in Heaven? Rev 5:2 "And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon."

What about Eze 3:3 "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it."

Do you want to do a study on what is written in the Bible about books? How about the book of life? How about the book that David talks about. The book of our life that is written before we are even born. Psalm 139:16 "Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Rev 20:12 "And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books."

If every person that has ever been born has a book written about their life, that is a lot of books.

Did you ever hear of the book of Enoch? "Enoch a righteous man, whose eyes were opened by God, saw the vision of the Holy One in the heavens, which the angels showed me, and from them I heard everything, and from them I understood as I saw, but not for this generation, but for a remote one which is 3 for to come".

Having visions as a christian are not unheard of and they are even to be expected. The dreams of Heaven are a LOT more special because they are very vivid compared to having a vision. I was having dreams in high definition before high definition cameras & TV came out.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wisdom, knowledge and understanding is not scriptural.

God has all wisdom and knows everything.
Scripture reveals God to us; it teaches us his nature, his plan and what he wants us to do. If someone is teaching something about God, it will be in Scripture - otherwise we cannot be sure that it is true.

If we do not study and understand Heaven then we are not going to understand God's plan and purpose for the Earth.

Yes we are; this is revealed in Scripture and taught by Jesus who is THE Word of God.

You can not take a pair of scissors and cut the words: wisdom, knowledge, understanding & Heaven out of our Bible because there would be nothing left.

I never said I wanted to. I simply asked you to show me where the things that you have been saying about having a conversation with Paul, and there being a library in heaven that is accessed by angels is in the Bible.
Are you saying that this is a special kind of wisdom that has been revealed only to you and is not in Scripture?
If so, do you know what the Bible says about testing the Spirits to see if they are from God, 1 John 4:1 and that prophecy comes from God 2 Peter 1:21?
Do you know that many, many people in Scripture were led astray and/or punished because they did not know, or obey, God's words but let themselves be deceived by others? It started with Eve in the garden when the serpent said "DID God say .......?" and later "you will not die if you do this". The Israelites turned aside from God, again and again, followed false prophets and worshipped false gods. They were punished for not listening to, and obeying, God's word.
Do you know how many cult leaders have claimed "I have special wisdom and revelation from God?" and lead many astray by their non Scriptural teachings? I am NOT saying that you are a false teacher; I am thinking of the woman on Youtube. "Rev" Moon claimed he had received a vision of Jesus in which Jesus said "I failed when I was on earth; you are the 2nd Messiah and must do what I failed to do." Thousands of people have been sucked into this cult and led astray by his unscriptural teaching.

You talk of wisdom and knowledge; logic should tell you that anyone could say anything and claim that God told us, or it was confirmed by an angel or prophecy. If we did not have anything by which we could test those claims, we'd all get into a muddle and start believing anything - which the devil would love because we'd have turned away from the truth of God as revealed in his word, by his Spirit who is truth.

The Bible makes a very clear distinction between worldly wisdom and heavenly wisdom. Col 3:2 "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

The Bible makes it very clear that there were, are and always will be false teachers and spirits who contradict and try to make people disobey God's word.
If you cannot prove, from Scripture, the teachings that you are giving; I have no way of knowing if they are true. I am sure you think they are and that this woman on Youtube is sincere - but people can be sincerely wrong. If we believed everything that everyone said about God, we'd be in mess.

Lets go back to the beginning of the conversation:

Psalms 53:1

Psalms 53:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

Paul quotes David only he changes the word: GOOD ט֑וֹב to righteous.

Romans 10:1 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:" δίκαιος
dikaios

Romans 10:1 does not say that.
In Romans 3:10 Paul says, "there is no one who has done good; not even one." This is a quotation from Psalms 14:3, which also uses the word 'good'.

This was my question for Paul, this is what I did not understand.

This is my question to you; where does it say in Scripture that we can have conversations with those who have died about Scripture or theological matters? That any of them will contact us to give us the answers?

I was given a vision to help me understand this. Acts 2:17 "Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams." We are told that this is a quote from Joel.

It is. It is a prophecy about what would happen when the Holy Spirit was poured out on all people - and was fulfilled at Pentecost. Today, we can receive, and be filled with, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, John 16:13, who gives us gifts, 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12:6-8.

We are to expect dreams and visions, signs and wonders and prophecy. No doubt there are lies, counterfeits and deceptions. But dreams and visions, signs, wonders & prophecy are a part of the new testament church.

Yes, maybe they are; God speaks to us, leads us and encourages us in many ways. But he will not say anything which contradicts what he has already revealed in his word.
You have just said that there are lies and deceptions - how can we know whether something is a lie or not? If it is true it will be in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You want a scripture about Angels and Books in Heaven?

No, I want a Scripture which backs up your claim that there is a library in heaven that can be accessed by angels.

Do you want to do a study on what is written in the Bible about books?

No, I want you to show me where the Bible teaches the things that you have been saying - that we can have conversations with dead saints about theology, and about the library.

Did you ever hear of the book of Enoch?

Yes. It's not in the Bible; the Holy Spirit did not inspire the people who compiled the OT to put it in.

Having visions as a christian are not unheard of

I never said it was.
I'm simply asking you to show where Scripture teaches the things that you were told in your vision.
Otherwise I could say, "I had a vision last night; God himself told me that there is no library in heaven and St Paul told me that he has never had a conversation with anyone about the state of the church."
If I said that, my vision from God would contradict your vision from God.
Which one is true? What does the Bible say?

The dreams of Heaven are a LOT more special because they are very vivid compared to having a vision.

How do you know - and expect anyone else to believe - that they are true?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In light of the fact that there are something like 1000 commands/exhortations/instruction in the New Testament. Do we have to keep all of them all the time in order to live blamelessly before God as Christians today?
"When I was a child...."

Every day my father or mother might give a command to obey. Each and every day.
Over years, well more than just 1000 commands/ exhortations/instructions.

As written, "raise up a son in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart far from it".....

A son raised in the way he should go obeys his dad and his mom. Every day, all the commands, exhortations/ instructions. Every day.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"When I was a child...."

Every day my father or mother might give a command to obey. Each and every day.
Over years, well more than just 1000 commands/ exhortations/instructions.

But do you, as a man, obey everything you were commanded as a toddler - hold mummy's hand before crossing the road, for example?

As written, "raise up a son in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart far from it".....

Raise your child to know God, read the Scriptures, go to church and pray; certainly.
Raise someone who has no Jewish connections to keep Jewish food laws - if this is what you are getting at - not necessary.

A son raised in the way he should go obeys his dad and his mom. Every day, all the commands, exhortations/ instructions. Every day.

Like I said, do you still hold mummy's hand when you cross the road?

If we ARE talking about the Jewish laws given at Mt Sinai:
a) not even Jews obey them now - they do not have the sacrificial system, or the temple.
b) Hebrews says that the was a shadow of what was to come, Hebrews 10:1 and is obsolete, Hebrews 8:13.
c) Jesus has fulfilled the law, which was not given to Gentiles anyway.

Reactions: MikeinSeattle
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Attachments

• Xyzzy_1.jpg
    Xyzzy_1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it will be in Scripture
Yes but there are many layers to reading the Bible and some things are hidden from people that are not worthy. Words are very powerful and it is important to understand the meaning of the words we find in our Bible.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I want you to show me where the Bible teaches the things that you have been saying
Not my job to teach you anything. It is up to the Holy Spirit of God to be your Guide and your Teacher. I can only share my testimony with you. What you do with that is totally up to you and has no impact on me at all. We deliver the message that God gives us to deliver to people and what they do with that message has no impact on us at all. We read about this in Ezekiel 3:17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not expect anyone to do anything. You are a very unfriendly person. You are lucky I am responding to you at all and not ignoring you.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible makes it very clear
This door swings both ways. If the Bible makes all of this so clear then show me where I am contradicting the Bible. So far you have failed to prove me wrong about anything I have told you. I will tell you one thing. To the best of my knowledge I have never, ever made one penny off of any of this. So you can not throw me in with people that profit off this because I never have. IF you want to know the truth study the original, not the counterfeit copies.

You are right though, people do need to be very careful. 2Peter2:2 "false teachers will exploit you with deceptive words." In what way do you feel I am trying to exploit you? My aim and purpose is to build up, encourage and edify people. If there is anyone here tearing people down it is you.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not expect anyone to do anything. I know that God watches over my words and I have to be very careful what I say. The Bible says many are called but few are choosen. This is because they are not willing to pay the price in Holiness and Sanctification to be used by God. So there is a lot of false teaching out there. IT does not matter because we do not follow man or his teaching. We allow the Holy Spirit of God to be our teacher and our guide. I do find it interesting when people share their testimony with us as to what God is showing them and doing in their life. People that go around attaching others and accusing them I tend to find pathetic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but there are many layers to reading the Bible and some things are hidden from people that are not worthy.

1 You don't have to, and can't, be "worthy" to read Scripture.
2. You've just admitted that something that you were teaching as fact, isn't in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This door swings both ways. If the Bible makes all of this so clear then show me where I am contradicting the Bible. So far you have failed to prove me wrong about anything I have told you.

I don't have to prove that something is NOT in Scripture.
And you've just said that one of the things you taught, isn't.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not expect anyone to do anything. You are a very unfriendly person.

I'm sorry if you interpret my desire for you to prove your teachings from Scripture as being unfriendly. I have just been addressing what you are saying, that's all.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was surprised to not find any articles on google addressing this question. There is plenty on the question of whether or not the Old Testament commands are binding but not the New Testament commands.

More specifically my question is this:

In light of the fact that there are something like 1000 commands/exhortations/instruction in the New Testament. Do we have to keep all of them all the time in order to live blamelessly before God as Christians today? Ie. Acts 24:16, Phil 2:15, 1 Tim 6:14.

In other words, is it possible to regularly do things(or fail to do things) that we are instructed not to do in the NT without actually sinning against God?

I realize that there are some things that are obviously of paramount importance, (Like believing the Gospel). But what about all those nitty gritty instruction on how to live, how to do church etc. Are all of those binding on us? (as in we have to do them all, all the time) If so why? Romans 13:8 says "the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law." That would lead me to believe that as long as you truly are loving your neighbor as yourself there could be ten thousand ways that you could knowingly and purposefully disregard a NT command without displeasing God at all. Is this logic faulty? Where does the bible say that we have to do everything written in the NT perfectly all the time in order to keep from sinning against God?
Doesn't it all boil down to two? Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. Pretty simple to say, hard as heck to do.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have just been addressing what you are saying, that's all.
You are attacking what I am saying and trying to falsify what I am saying. Yet you have produced NOTHING to back up your claims. Zip, zero, zilch, nothing. IF what I am saying is NOT true then it should be VERY easy for you to prove me wrong. Show me what you have, produce your evidence, show me your scriptures that contradict what I am saying.

God has all the answers, God has all wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He has the solution to any and all problems we will ever have. If you do not believe me then show me scriptures to prove me wrong.

In 2 Corinthians Paul the Apostle writes, "I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows.

If you say it is impossible to be "caught up to the third heaven" then you are contradicting Paul and the Bible. Just like I gave you scriptures to show you that there are books in Heaven. Yet you still want to deny that there are books in Heaven. You still want to deny that the Angels are given to take care of those books. Rev 5:2 "And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?""

Last edited:
Upvote 0