Do TV-shows or movies that include cancer in their storyline put people at risk?

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Now we know that some Christians will avoid movies or TV-show that have sexuality or bad language, particularly f-bombing and saying the Lord's name in vain, etc... that's a given. However, as word-of-faith Christians, do shows which deal with sick people in the hospital, or cancer, in and of itself carcinogenic? Does it plant seeds to the viewer that instead of viewing themselves as invincible, because the Spirit of God that rose Jesus from the dead lives in them and they can command any mountain to be moved and cast into the sea with mountain moving faith, and by His stripes you were ALREADY healed, and no plague shall come near thy dwelling, WITH LONG LIFE WILL HE SATISFY THEE AND SHOW YOU HIS SALVATION!!! Do these story-lines run contrary to the word of God and are an abomination? Or does fiction deal with real-life scenarios (ie well people in society get sick, and some people die, that is why there are hospitals and cemeteries around, if you pass by those is that an abomination too?)

When you see a movie like Breakthrough (2019), which I see as a true word of faith movie where a boy was brought back to life because of his believing mother as he suffered a near fatal drowning incident. Movies like that increase your faith.

So the question, is it safe to watch movies or TV-shows involving such a theme or referencing someone dying of that disease or do these shows plant seeds of death in the minds of the viewers, and even the actresses and actors and people involved? Should we be checking their history and see if they caught it themselves? In a sense, are shows depicting this more dangerous than shows with swearing, sexuality and other bad content and the Christian world is misguided in emphasizing the wrong things?

Another thing I noticed, is when Christianity is introduced in those storylines, it's always in the basis of coping rather than curing people by faith. Comforting people and being there when they die so they don't die alone. There is nothing you are seeing of raising from the dead Lazarus faith. The Bible says you lay hands on the sick AND THEY SHALL RECOVER...these are the signs that follow believers.

• Winner
Reactions: Skye1300

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that the baseline of faith for believers is to believe the word. That means we believe that by His stripes, we were healed. It means He heals all our diseases to the same degree that He forgives all our trespasses. We are to believe this to the grave just as we believe that He died for our sins according to the scripture. That is the normal Christian life, to walk in faith.
As far as watching such things in fictional shows, yes, we should beware.
I recall a dear saint to would come to prayer meetings every week. She would often bring prayer requests for a number of people who she seemed to know personally. Come to find out, she was submitting prayer requests for the characters on her afternoon soap operas.
I suppose there is more to this. Consider Lot whose righteous soul was vexed by the things he saw in Sodom. Something to think about.

Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now we know that some Christians will avoid movies or TV-show that have sexuality or bad language, particularly f-bombing and saying the Lord's name in vain, etc... that's a given. However, as word-of-faith Christians, do shows which deal with sick people in the hospital, or cancer, in and of itself carcinogenic? Does it plant seeds to the viewer that instead of viewing themselves as invincible, because the Spirit of God that rose Jesus from the dead lives in them and they can command any mountain to be moved and cast into the sea with mountain moving faith, and by His stripes you were ALREADY healed, and no plague shall come near thy dwelling, WITH LONG LIFE WILL HE SATISFY THEE AND SHOW YOU HIS SALVATION!!! Do these story-lines run contrary to the word of God and are an abomination? Or does fiction deal with real-life scenarios (ie well people in society get sick, and some people die, that is why there are hospitals and cemeteries around, if you pass by those is that an abomination too?)

When you see a movie like Breakthrough (2019), which I see as a true word of faith movie where a boy was brought back to life because of his believing mother as he suffered a near fatal drowning incident. Movies like that increase your faith.

So the question, is it safe to watch movies or TV-shows involving such a theme or referencing someone dying of that disease or do these shows plant seeds of death in the minds of the viewers, and even the actresses and actors and people involved? Should we be checking their history and see if they caught it themselves? In a sense, are shows depicting this more dangerous than shows with swearing, sexuality and other bad content and the Christian world is misguided in emphasizing the wrong things?

Another thing I noticed, is when Christianity is introduced in those storylines, it's always in the basis of coping rather than curing people by faith. Comforting people and being there when they die so they don't die alone. There is nothing you are seeing of raising from the dead Lazarus faith. The Bible says you lay hands on the sick AND THEY SHALL RECOVER...these are the signs that follow believers.

Thank you for voicing what I was unable to find the words to describe! Yes I do feel like it has the potential to make a person vulnerable by opening a spiritual door because it gets a person thinking what if that happened to them. I try not to watch too many movies involving tragedies or illnesses like that for that reason. I understand why they make the movies, to make people understand those situations, but it's done so realistically that it's spiritually powerful. TV shows and movies are so realistic today, if I was an actress, I would definitely be careful about the parts I chose to play! When you play a part, you temporarily ARE that character and it's preserved on tape. You have to totally get into the character. And the viewer does that too unconsciously while watching it.
It's okay to read about conditions and to know they exist, but there's something about watching it on TV that puts you into it temporarily and that has spiritual power.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One example I can think of is the little girl heather O'Rourke from the Poltergeist movies. She played a child that ghosts were constantly trying to drag her to the other side. In one scene a ghost/monster grabs her around her stomach/midsection area to try to pull her to the other side. She ended up dying suddenly and unexpectedly from an issue with her intestines at 12 years old.

Upvote 0

RocK Guy

Apr 4, 2024
Kansas
✟1,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do TV-shows or movies that include cancer in their storyline put people at risk?

Not for those that are skilled in the word of righteousness who know how to cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the Word of God!

Spending time frequently speaking / meditating on healing scriptures helps offset not just tv shows / movies, but also well meaning people talking about their health issues or that project their health concerns on to others.

2 Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of His divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Upvote 0