Do Tolkien (LOTR etc) and CS Lewis (Narnia) promote witchcraft?

Do Tolkien (LOTR etc) and CS Lewis (Narnia) promote witchcraft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In fact, here is a quote by C.S. Lewis on Jesus' prophecy of the End Times:

"Say what you like," we shall be told, "the apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, 'this generation shall not pass till all these things be done.' And he was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else. It is certainly the most embarassing verse in the Bible. Yet how teasing, also, that within fourteen words of it should come the statement"

The man is a heretic, and yet people are eating up his occult fantasy books like candy.

But isn't he correct?

It's nearly 2000 years later and we're still here. Jesus had not returned (unless very recently and we know not yet.)

That seems fairly embarrassing if you take every word to be accurate and unchanged. Billions of Christians have managed to live with this passage. Maybe you should give it a try too.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But isn't he correct?

It's nearly 2000 years later and we're still here. Jesus had not returned (unless very recently and we know not yet.)

That seems fairly embarrassing if you take every word to be accurate and unchanged. Billions of Christians have managed to live with this passage. Maybe you should give it a try too.

It is written:

“They will say,
“What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?
From before the times of our ancestors,
everything has remained the same
since the world was first created.” (2 Peter 3:4) (NLT).

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of Lewis' so called heresies (unorthodox views) are actually views held by the Orthodox Church.

As for Tolkien's stories, I don't recall there being "witchcraft". There are beings such as Sauron and the Nazgul, but they're clearly demonic servants of Satan (who's depicted as Morgoth) and aren't the least bit romanticised that I can see.
There are three "wizards", but they are just called such by men. They are actually angelic beings. Gandalf saying "I am a servant of the Secret Fire" is considered to be an allusion to the Holy Spirit. However from what I recall, Tolkien said he wasn't attempting to write Christian allegory.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Isaiah 2:22
Upvote 0

Isaiah 2:22

Jun 4, 2016
Canada
✟17,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What happened to BH's promise "I am moving on" in post #81?

I think in his subconscious he meant he was moving on from claiming witchcraft exists in Narnia to outright calling Lewis a heretic. It's pathetic and disgusting behaviour. I wouldn't be a Christian today if it weren't for C.S. Lewis, and the same is true for other people I know. It makes me extremely sad and angry to see him attacked in this false manner.

BH, I can't see your posts anymore, but I want you to know that I believe Lewis is praying for you from heaven. That your preoccupation with this topic will be taken away and replaced with love for your brothers and sisters in Christ. I pray for the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened to BH's promise "I am moving on" in post #81?

Did I say it was a promise? No. At the time I felt like moving on because I felt like there was nothing more to say. But I wanted to give an added send off with some links to articles to show I am not the only Christian to believe this way. When I read more on the topic, it confirmed even more that I was correct.

So I changed my mind because there was new evidence that I wanted to share. C.S. Lewis's beliefs alone were not within traditional Christianity even. He struggled with the occult and it shows in his writings. Witches practice today the very things that are within his books. In fact Narnia is required reading by certain witches. Granted, I am not saying Lewis was not a Christian in the end. Only God knows if he made it or not. For he could have repented of his sins on his deathbed for all we know. But I don't think Lewis was abiding in Christ when he wrote the Narnia series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟115,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see so "I am moving on" isn't a promise!
How about "I am going to buy you a present" or "I am going to return that loan" or "I am doing the housework". Are they statements (from you) that could be relied on? Apparently not!

Here's a promise you can rely on. I (Vanellus} am going to ignore all your (BH's) posts from now on.
How do I put other forum members on ignore?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isaiah 2:22

Jun 4, 2016
Canada
✟17,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How about "I am going to buy you a present" or "I am going to return that loan" or "I am doing the housework". Are they statements (from you) that could be relied on? Apparently not!

Here's a promise you can rely on. I (Vanellus} am going to ignore all your (BH's) posts from now on.

Click the screen name and then click the blue text that says "ignore". You have to refresh the page for it to take complete effect.

Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are a few CF members who can't be reasoned with and mainly cause disruption and discord. It's probably best to say a prayer for them and then put them on ignore.

While I will answer an off topic post (like this one briefly): I believe in striving to keep things on topic for the most part for a thread. I also believe in striving to keep the peace among believers who hold to the core truths of the Bible as I do. We may not agree on other topics, but I strive to keep the peace in love with brothers I actually fellowship with and I have been friends with for years.

I believe this topic is important to discuss. I am responding to the thread question with Scripture. It is my belief according to God's Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Right, unless I say it is a promise, then it is not a promise. Situations can change based on other circumstances. I can say to a person that I am going to buy them a present, and if they all of a sudden do something really sinful towards me, I can change my mind on sending them a present. Situations change based on the circumstances.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God changed His mind in regards to the Ninevites. God said (through Jonah) that the Ninevites were going to be destroyed in 40 days. Did that happen? No. What changed? The circumstances. The Ninevites repented (i.e. they cried out to God, and they had forsaken their evil ways). When God noticed that they had forsaken their evil ways, then that is when God turned back on bringing judgment upon them (See: Jonah 3:6-10).

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
@Bible Highlighter you just don't see it. I would suggest that you take some time to reflect on what others are telling you (there is no secret as they are telling you outright) and see why it is you are being told the things you are being told such as your always being right in threads, etc...

• Agree
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,518.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
So this is still going on?

This sub-forum really needs a 'no preaching rule' because no-one wants to be threatened with eternal damnation of the soul just because they enjoy something that one person doesn't like.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is written:

“They will say,
“What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again?
From before the times of our ancestors,
everything has remained the same
since the world was first created.” (2 Peter 3:4) (NLT).

It sounds like whomever wrote 2 Peter understood that the promised return had not happened in the life of those who were listening to Jesus. I'm not quite sure what suggestion the last 3 lines of this are trying to make, but maybe there is something there for you to consider about the return claim.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like whomever wrote 2 Peter understood that the promised return had not happened in the life of those who were listening to Jesus. I'm not quite sure what suggestion the last 3 lines of this are trying to make, but maybe there is something there for you to consider about the return claim.

Context:

Peter is saying that scoffers who walk after their own lusts (sin) will question the Lord's return.

“Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.” (2 Peter 3:3-4).​

Peter says the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night.

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” (2 Peter 3:10).​

Peter tells us to look for the coming of the day of God where the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved and the elements shall melt with a fervent heat.

“Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.” (2 Peter 3:12-13).​

This would be destruction of this planet. It will be burned up with fire.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Context:

Peter is saying that scoffers who walk after their own lusts (sin) will question the Lord's return.

“Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.” (2 Peter 3:3-4).​

Peter says the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night.

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” (2 Peter 3:10).​

Peter tells us to look for the coming of the day of God where the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved and the elements shall melt with a fervent heat.

“Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.” (2 Peter 3:12-13).​

This would be destruction of this planet. It will be burned up with fire.

Maybe as the other posts have suggested you should take your preaching elsewhere on CF and let the discussion go back to (checks title of forum) "entertainment" and let "Peter" be.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter you just don't see it. I would suggest that you take some time to reflect on what others are telling you (there is no secret as they are telling you outright) and see why it is you are being told the things you are being told such as your always being right in threads, etc...

You would have to convince me with Scripture in order to prove that you are correct on this topic. Is the sin of witchcraft really all that less of a problem of a sin than say sexual immorality? People today practice witchcraft and Narnia is required reading by certain witches. Why? Because it has spell casting, and stuff in it. If the characters in the story were real, and they dreamed these experiences or they had a vision of these experiences, then such a thing would be bad if they were influenced to cast a real spell in real life. For if they took their dream or vision seriously and then they could also cast a spell in real life. But if they did that, then this would be a major problem according to the Bible. For sorcerers are said to be thrown into the Lake of Fire according to Revelation 21:8. Granted, there is always God's grace and mercy. But we have to seek forgiveness of our sins with the Lord and forsake them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.