Do those believing in “grace only” fear the Lord?

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do those believing in “grace only without accountability” fear the Lord?
Yes, they’re afraid they won’t get their fair share of rewards in heaven! lol

The 2 reasons for obeying Jesus’ commandments
LOVE ● In 4 different verses in John 14, Jesus said,
for example: “Those who accept My commandments and obey them are the ones who love Me.”
(John 14:21)

Is it possible for a person who does NOT love Jesus
to be allowed into heaven?
FEAR“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who
is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)

“But I will show you whom you should fear:
fear Him who, after He has killed, has power
to cast into hell; yes, I say to you,
fear Him!”
(Luke 12:5)

“But in every nation he who venerates and has
a reverential fear for God, treating Him with worshipful obedience and living uprightly
(i.e. righteously)
, is acceptable to Him”
(Acts 10:35, AMPC)

“… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

“… as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” … conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear” (1 Peter 1:15-17)

Yes, wise believers have more than
a reverential fear of the Lord ...

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7, 9:10)

“And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:50)

“And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit …” (Acts 9:31)

“There is none righteous, no, not one … There is no fear of God before their eyes.” (Romans 3:10-18)

“Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. (Romans 11:20-21)

“… submitting to one another in the fear of God.” (Ephesians 5:21)

“… work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12)

“… let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire.” (Hebrews 12:28-29)

“Honor all people. Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.” (1 Peter 2:17)

“… always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear” (1 Peter 3:15)

“… You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, and those who fear Your name, small and great” (Revelation 11:18)

“Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come” (Revelation 14:7)

Last edited:
Reactions: Soyeong

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

That's like saying a child loves a parent and still fears their authority at the same time because they don't want to be excluded from the will.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's like saying a child loves a parent and still fears their authority at the same time because they don't want to be excluded from the will.
You can analyze and come up opinions all you want,
but I trust in what Scripture says!

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You can analyze and come up opinions all you want,
but I trust in what Scripture says!

Do you? Aren't you the one who started that works-salvation thread a few weeks back, then wrongfully accused me of hating scripture, then failed to repent after being called out on it several times?

Sorry, I can't believe your claim as your actions say otherwise.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

for example: “Those who accept My commandments and obey them are the ones who love Me.”

FEAR“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who

fear Him!”

a reverential fear for God, treating Him with worshipful obedience and living uprightly
(i.e. righteously)
, is acceptable to Him”

“… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

“… as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” … conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear” (1 Peter 1:15-17)

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7, 9:10)

“And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:50)

“And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit …” (Acts 9:31)

“There is none righteous, no, not one … There is no fear of God before their eyes.” (Romans 3:10-18)

“Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. (Romans 11:20-21)

“… let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire.” (Hebrews 12:28-29)

“… always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear” (1 Peter 3:15)

“… You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, and those who fear Your name, small and great” (Revelation 11:18)

“Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come” (Revelation 14:7)

Any why we should not worry about it.

Hebrews 8:13
In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

fear Him!”

(i.e. righteously)
, is acceptable to Him”

1John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

Thus one cannot both do what is right out of love and out of fear of condemnation. Those who reject the grace of God inherent in the gospel preach a salvation by works gospel of their own making, advocating the control of one's behavior through fear of condemnation. It didn't work under the Old Covenant and so the New Covenant was put in place, taking works off the table as a condition for salvation, and make salvation free by faith apart from works. Behavior was then made a function of regeneration and doing what is right was by the Spirit of that nature.

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1John 3:9

But since the salvation by works Christians reject the gospel of grace, they are disqualified from such an effect and haven't experience it, and so they opt for fear of condemnation motivating them to do what is right. They only delude themselves into thinking that actually works.

as for your "lol" comment, don't need it. I have a guarantee. "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2Cor 1:21,22

• Agree
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I can't believe your claim as your actions say otherwise.
What does anyone's actions have to do with Truth?
God's Truth (His Holy Scriptures) remain True ...
regardless of what anyone thinks, says, or does!
Do you believe in God's word, or not?

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What good will it do anyone to steadfastly believe that
God's gift of grace will see them through to the end
... when we read God's Truth here (for example):

Revelation 21:
7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,
and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
8 BUT the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers,
idolaters, and all liars shall have their part
in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

The unbelieving are just one of many (habitual) sinners who will go into the lake of fire.

Please consider that the cowardly will include
some (many?) cowardly BACs who will:
1) fall away during the persecution of Christians,
which has been happening in many parts of the world
... and which will soon be upon us here in America!
2) submit to taking the fateful mark of the beast
(please see Revelation 13 and Revelation 14).

Now, please consider that Revelation 21:7-8
and Revelation 13 and Revelation 14 ...
apply to every person who is walking on this earth!

"He who overcomes" is another story for another time.

But, one thing we know ...
it does NOT include those who believe in "grace only".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Any why we should not worry about it.
Hebrews 8:13
In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Sorry, brother, I have no idea what you're getting at.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Cor 1:21,22
This refers to habitual (unrepentant) sinning!
Not to the occasional sin, which is sincerely repented of.

Seals can be broken ...
as in what happens when one breaks a covenant.
The NT is the new covenant ... co-operation is required.
BACs can fall from grace (Galatians 5), and etc.

Hyper-grace comes from the lowest parts of hell.
Eternal security also.

Reference for all of the above is the NT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This refers to habitual (unrepentant) sinning!
Not to the occasional sin, which is sincerely repented of.

Seals can be broken ...
as in what happens when one breaks a covenant.
The NT is the new covenant ... co-operation is required.
BACs can fall from grace (Galatians 5), and etc.

Hyper-grace comes from the lowest parts of hell.
Eternal security also.

Reference for all of the above is the NT.

The covenant has been made for us by Jesus and HIS one time and all sufficient sacrifice on the cross. It is finished. Jesus offered His perfect, sinless and spotless blood on the cross for sin. Our own lives are not an acceptable sacrifice for sin and eternal life. We are saved by the obedience of ONE. Unless a person has succeeded in never sinning in thought, word, or deed, from birth to death, they had better not present their own “righteousness” to God as a means of salvation.

In truth, to suggest that our obedience and “right living” is required for us to be saved, is to plainly say that Christ’s sacrifice is not enough. Doing so is the “willful sin” spoken of in Hebrews, as it is to reject Christ’s sacrifice on the cross by claiming our own obedience will save us either in addition to His perfect and sinless life, or even instead of it. People should really stop and think about that before they scorn and deride those who have put all of their hope and trust in Christ alone.

And no, we are not breaking the “seal” of the Holy Spirit. The Bible plainly tells us that once we are saved and born again, we are sealed until the day of redemption. God does indeed chastise His children, (which all true, born again believers are), however, nowhere in Scripture does it ever say He will forsake His children or cast them into Hell.

Only ONE sacrifice is worthy to save us. There is only ONE WAY, ONE TRUTH and ONE LIFE. No one is going to receive the gift of eternal life based on their own merits. To say otherwise is to teach a false, works-based “gospel.”

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

fear Him!”

(i.e. righteously)
, is acceptable to Him”

All of the verses (or fragments of verses) from the NT epistles were written to already saved, born again and sealed believers in the Gospel. They are written to exhort them to live as disciples, not to tell anyone how to be saved. Salvation is not something we earn through our own obedience. We are saved by the obedience of ONE, Jesus Christ. Only HIS life is a worthy and sufficient sacrifice for sin. We are washed clean by the sinless, spotless blood of the Lamb of God, Who alone takes away the sins of the world.

We are indeed saved by grace, through faith and not of works. It is indeed boastful to take any credit for our salvation. Doing so is to claim credit for something we have not and cannot do, which is, save ourselves. All glory and praise to God alone for our salvation!

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The covenant has been made for us
by Jesus and HIS one time and all sufficient sacrifice on the cross.
It is finished.
I really don't know where to begin.
How about here ...

Many NT verses prove each of these spiritual truths:
Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness
Believers stay righteous through their obedience
Believers faith must endure until the end of their lives
Believers keep salvation by repenting of their sins
Believers were chosen and called to live holy lives
Believers must love, forgive, not judge or condemn
Believers must be victorious overcomers

One full page of Scripture verses is available
for almost every one of the above topics.

How does this fit in with what you have been led
to believe? ... And don't miss my signature below!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Depends what someone means by grace only?

Can a person live in grace, or by grace and continue in deliberate sin? To live by grace would seem to mean living out of our union with Christ, to walk in the Spirit? If a person is doing that, they would not be sinning deliberately.

But of course christians can and do backslide. Will God forgive a backsliding christian who returns (repents). I believe so, or there would not be much hope.

Can a person reach a point were they cannot repent? In general though people may repent, that might mean just reforming ones life. Repentance towards God, however is a gift, so a backslider could only return if given repentance.

That's my thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Repentance towards God, however is a gift, so a backslider could only return if given repentance.
Where does it say it's a gift?
I'd say it's a promise (see 1 John 1:9).

P.S. I've recently been seeing a whole lot of
Americans writing as if they think that the
plural form of a word requires an apostrophe "s".
E.G. Christians is the plural form of Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I really don't know where to begin.
How about here ...

Many NT verses prove each of these spiritual truths:
Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness
Believers stay righteous through their obedience
Believers faith must endure until the end of their lives
Believers keep salvation by repenting of their sins
Believers were chosen and called to live holy lives
Believers must love, forgive, not judge or condemn
Believers must be victorious overcomers

One full page of Scripture verses is available
for almost every one of the above topics.

How does this fit in with what you have been led
to believe? ... And don't miss my signature below!

In other words, what Jesus did on the cross isn’t actually enough, it’s not His obedience and his sacrifice alone that saves us, and we simply cannot trust in Him for eternal life after all.

Good to know.

Let’s just hope we all live well enough to be saved then, because apparently Jesus didn’t accomplish anything.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Who exactly preaches this "grace without responsibility"? I have never heard of such a thing in my church. We Lutherans get accused of it alot, but I have never actually heard anything like that. If anything, we emphasize responsibility in human relationships to a degree that I did not encounter in other churches.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
... apparently Jesus didn’t accomplish anything.
I can understand peoples' discouragement about this!
But, I can give you several reasons (Scriptural proofs)
re: what Jesus did was NOT the end of the story by far!
(If anyone is interested.)

"It is finished!" was in regards to His work on earth!
(That was Jesus' death sentence; the cross awaiteth.)
He is still working for us in heaven!
And the precious Holy Spirit is working for us here!
(Father God ... what's He doing in all of this?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Who exactly preaches this "grace without responsibility"? I have never heard of such a thing in my church. We Lutherans get accused of it a lot, but I have never actually heard anything like that. If anything, we emphasize responsibility in human relationships to a degree that I did not encounter in other churches.
They are called "hyper-grace" believers.
(Only God's free gift of undeserved grace is enough.)

Problem is: all of those pesky NT verses & passages.

And the most troubling PROOF of them all ...
If ANYONE submits to taking the mark of the beast,
they are guaranteed a free ticket to the Lake of Fire!
Revelation 13 and Revelation 14 and Revelation 20.
Enjoy the reading.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can understand peoples' discouragement about this!
But, I can give you several reasons (Scriptural proofs)
re: what Jesus did was NOT the end of the story by far!
(If anyone is interested.)

"It is finished!" was in regards to His work on earth!
(That was Jesus' death sentence; the cross awaiteth.)
He is still working for us in heaven!
And the precious Holy Spirit is working for us here!
(Father God ... what's He doing in all of this?)

What Jesus did is indeed “the end of the story” regarding salvation.

He did indeed do all that is necessary to save us and keep us saved.

However, it is clear that you and I are not going to agree on this.

For my part, when it comes to salvation, I am not going to be trusting in my own “righteousness.” My hope for salvation is in Christ alone. HE is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

You can try to tell me Christ is not enough, Scripture says otherwise.

Upvote 0