Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As Christians we don't get to heaven by our works, so would suicide which is a bad "work" affect Christ's blood shed for us? I'm confused.

We are judged by what we have done while we are in the flesh. Presuming that death was instant, with no time to repent, it seems like the victim is on his way to hell.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that suicides automatically send you to hell. Most of the time, people who suicide are depressed or have some other mental stress or illness. I do not think that a Christian who is hit with depression or something like that, and kills himself in a fit of anger or depression will go to hell.

It is a sin. Presumably you don't have time to ask for forgiveness. However, if you lie to someone, then get killed in a wreck before you have time to repent, that one lie will not send a believer to hell. Sin is sin.

No, Christian suicides don't have a one-way ticket to hell.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe that suicides automatically send you to hell. Most of the time, people who suicide are depressed or have some other mental stress or illness. I do not think that a Christian who is hit with depression or something like that, and kills himself in a fit of anger or depression will go to hell.

It is a sin. Presumably you don't have time to ask for forgiveness. However, if you lie to someone, then get killed in a wreck before you have time to repent, that one lie will not send a believer to hell. Sin is sin.

No, Christian suicides don't have a one-way ticket to hell.

Stormdancer, I always appreciate your reasoned reponses.

(added later) I, at first, took issue with this response. I had initially been distracted by the idea of suicide but later remembered additional points.

I am taught that the people who end up in hell ultimately appear before the white throne judgement. Hell can be thought of as a holding area where one goes at bodily death, if they don't go to heaven. At the white throne judgement those in hell appear for judgement and are given one final opportunity to bow their knee to Jesus Christ. If they agree to make Jesus their Lord, then they go into the 'nations' (Mt 25:31-33, Rev 22:11-15).

I was relieved to learn this because we know God is just and it explains how the death of unsaved innocents (including suicides) is handled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
As Christians we don't get to heaven by our works, so would suicide which is a bad "work" affect Christ's blood shed for us? I'm confused.

suicides don't get to heaven based on the word of God.
No one can create a single hair on their head. God does NOT want anyone to take it.
I dont know any TRUE BORN again christian who do it

its not how far but how well.

Matthew 24:13

'but he who stands firm to the end will be saved' - Jesus

An example when God brought the Israelite out of egypt on their way to the promise land and they were nearly there. Moses who served God diligently, spoke face to face with God and even knew God deeper than anyone before Him did not get to see the PROMISE LAND because he disobeyed God and did not honour God in the presence of His people in the heat of anger.

Why did God not think of every positive thing Moses had done before God decided that Moses will not see the promise land. Of course it was the enemy's work that Moses did what he did at the last minute. And that one thing, God did not take lightly at all.

Its int he commandment-thou shalt not kill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was taught suicide does send you to hell outside of circumstances where lets say you are mentally challenged and don't really understand anything. I was taught you go to hell for suicide because you are Gods creation and by destroying your temple you don't care about him or your temple. Life is about many things, but when it comes to suicide you have to have faith an hope in him. So to kill yourself is also why it shows to him you don't care about your temple.

I know I was suicidal for a few years and the only thing that kept me from doing it was the idea of it would send me to hell and that even when I hated my life I had to just have hope in my future.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. We are human beings and are subject to change. God never said we would hold to the same beliefs throughout our lives. I'm at the point in my life where I do believe in eternal security for the true born-again believer. However, I believe that anyone who backslides into sin will return again to Jesus at some point before they die. I believe that an evidence that person was never saved is if they never come back to repentance and faith.

To the issue of suicide and whether or not a person who commits it will go to hell or not, I don't know for sure neither does anyone else. One thing we need to remember though is that God works all things together for our good to those who love Him and who are the called according to His purpose. Why do I say that? People who think about killing themselves need to know that they are not their own. It's not their life to take away. It's God's. What I'm getting to is this: Even though I don't believe a Christian goes to hell if they do it, they need to have the fear of God put in them. There is a judgment, and ultimately I could be wrong. Like someone said before, it's best to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I happen to think that all people get saved by God, according to His timeline. Ultimately suicide is self-harm, and as such it is more like being killed by a disease than an act of murder. Still you shouldn't do it, we all have to die at some point so why going early? And you never know how much good you could still experience in life if you don't kill yourself. And there's also the question of the grief that your family and friends would feel if you killed yourself. God would be merciful, I am sure of that, but how would your family and friends know that for sure? This side of death we're so often plagued with uncertainties and mistrust and fear, so let's not make it even more difficult for others. Jesus conquered death, but while the enemy has become much weaker because we know about the afterlife now, it is still an enemy that inspires fear and suffering. We shouldn't jump into it therefor. We must choose life, even when it's hard.

Upvote 0

HIS Geeky Girl

Jan 24, 2013
✟440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It is a sin, of course, but I don't think someone who commits suicide automatically goes to hell just based on that act. The Bible says that nothing - including death - can separate us from the love of God. It also says nothing (and nothing means NOTHING) can take us out of God's hand. It also says that His grace is greater than ALL our sin. All of this is assuming the person is a Christian, of course. A lost person who dies will tragically go to hell, no matter the manner of their death. And don't presume to say something like "a REAL Christian would never...". You don't know unless you've been there.

Upvote 0

xxxxxxtra

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
✟603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We are saved by grace. Not by our actions or thoughts. We can thank God for this, because if this were the case. Not one of us would avoid hell, and much less enter into God's Holy Kingdom.
Although not quite the same. The bible does state that there is no greater act than for one to lay down his/her life for another.. Hmmmmm, that sure sounds lime a form of suicide.. Are not these radicals that lay down their lives called suicide bombers?
I stand on God's promise that i am saved by Christ Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. I have no doubt that this keeps me outta hell, and i am trusting that His righteous life is imputed to me so that i can march right into Heaven, cloaked in His righteousness....

I wanna add my concern at the question.. If this is about something that you are struggling with.. Whether its feeling alone or inadequate.. Maybe you just can't cope or are being bullied.. Or you are dealing with some deep seeded secret.. Ending your life is never a good choice.. Don't you realize that from the point of being destitute there is only one direction that your life can go.. Don't measure yourself in the eyes of anyone else.. You are marvelously created, as a wonder to all that you may encounter.. I don't care what you have going on.. I am your brother in Christ Jesus and love you completely and unconditionally.. And in the Lord's time we shall rejoice with our Savior together, with all the saints at the wedding supper of the Lamb, our glorios God and Savior.. So no matter what, always remember that we are being made Christ like through our sufferings and our triumphs..
You are never alone.. Jesus lives inside you.. Talk to Him.. Tell Him everything.. I promise the He will comfort you..
I find that alot of christians have a difficult time juggling their faith and christian walk in a world that offers so many sinful options.. If you are watching alot of garbage on television. Then change up.. Go for walks and read books.. But, be careful what you allow into life.. Violence and sexual movies and television are only going to trip you up.. I know.. Hanging out with non christians doesn't work.. It creates an awkwardness.. Always having to explain yourself and compromising for their beliefs.. Get around christians... Read God's word.. You will see that most every man or woman of God had valleys that they dredged, before standing on top of thos mountain peaks.. We see that when they looked back over those same valleys.. They could see our Lord's wonderful plan playing out.. Most ever time we can see that God was teaching them humility.. We all need this lesson.. How else are we ever going to stop looking in the mirror at ourself, and start looking to God our Creator.. So do us all a favour.. If this is about you. M please be strong.. Face the humility that comes only through suffering.. I promise you that God has a path set before you that He will reveal when the timing is just right.. I am always astounded how i can look back after these times of trial, and measure my faith.. I could never do that if life was always soft and fluffy.. God bless and keep you.... Remember, you are precious to Jesus because you are given to Him from His Father, YHWH and you are precious to the Father because His Son Jesus paid a dowry of His life to purchase you as a bride.. And as a promise to you of His(our God Jesus Christ) commitment to you.. He placed His Holy Spirit in you... Daily, moment by moment He is conforming you into His glorious image... So rejoice aloud.. Sing songs of praise to our Redeemer.. Every day that you have under the sun, is like a courtship.. So value each and every moment... Realize that when times get tough.. That is when we have His undivided attention.. Even the holy angels marvel at this.. The bible says, that the holy angels long for the day when they can look into the matter of man's salvation..... I could go on and on as i typing this note on my phone, i too am being humbled and forced to review my walk with Christ. And i am rejoicing.. Thank you and i love you... Take comfort in the saints, and God's Word.. And Jesus always.. Amen

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I was taught suicide does send you to hell outside of circumstances where lets say you are mentally challenged and don't really understand anything. I was taught you go to hell for suicide because you are Gods creation and by destroying your temple you don't care about him or your temple. Life is about many things, but when it comes to suicide you have to have faith an hope in him. So to kill yourself is also why it shows to him you don't care about your temple.

I know I was suicidal for a few years and the only thing that kept me from doing it was the idea of it would send me to hell and that even when I hated my life I had to just have hope in my future.
I don't think anyone would commit suicide unless they were permanently or temporarily mentally challenged. Every time we step on a bug we destroy some of God's creation. Even if we kill someone, we can still receive forgiveness. Killing in and of itself will not lead anyone to hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone would commit suicide unless they were permanently or temporarily mentally challenged. Every time we step on a bug we destroy some of God's creation. Even if we kill someone, we can still receive forgiveness. Killing in and of itself will not lead anyone to hell.

WRONG. Suicide does lead people to hell. Don't try it.
I would'nt advice or encourage anyone to. Jesus is able to lift people out of their problems. Most people who commit suicide are not mentally challenged, they were frustrated, depressed or thought they had no way out anymore of which all those things, Jesus is able to help.

1 Corinthians 3:17-19

If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a “fool” so that he may become wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Suicide is wrong on so many levels...
It should never be a consideration as it is the devil who minsters such a choice to a person.

That being said,

All sin can be forgiven in Christ except for the sin of rejecting
Christ and dying in that sin so suicide is a sin like any sin and can be forgiven
as long as the person did not reject Christ before they ended their life.

God is the judge and He can and will save all those that it is possible to save.

We do not know what is in the heart of the one who ends their life but God knows.

God is good and His will is to save all those who will let Him so I would not say that suicide
is a oneway ticket to hell as God can save anyone who in their heart cries out to Him,
even in that moment, no matter how short, before a person passes from this life to the next....

Matthew 12:31
“Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men,
but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think if God is merciful they would be forgiven and go to Heaven.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, here's what I think.

Every day that we're alive, we committ a number of sins. It doesn't matter how hard we try, it will happen. Even thoughts can be sins. To be redeemed, we need saving faith. Faith that Christ is our saviour and our sins are clean. Every day we're alive.

Once we're dead it's too late.

To God, all sins are equal, but one of the most obvious ones on earth (because of the magnitude of its reprocussions in most cases) is murder.
Murder is taking a life purposefully. Suicide is taking a life purposefully. Suicide is murder. It doesn't matter whether its you or someone else. It's still taking a life.

If you commit a murder on someone else, you can plea for God's forgiveness, and while you may rot in prison for the rest of your natural life, you can spend that time finding your way back into His graces and his Kingdom and you can go there when you die.

If you commit a murder on yourself, like say... pulling a trigger... you only have a split second to think about what you've done and to repent. That probably isn't long enough. And if you were intentional enough to pull that trigger, chances are you made your choice and don't see any other way.

Now, here's where it gets touchy.
This is one of those "fine lines" I won't mess with.
Some forms of suicide don't happen instantly. Sometimes, something is attempted, and it takes a little while before its too late.
I suppose a person could take that 5 or 15 minutes or an hour and pray to God... but why take the risk? You just don't know how your attempt on your life will turn out. You don't know how long you still have once you've reached the point of no return.
It's like how some people talk themselves out of an attempt because it might not work. Sometimes you can just be maimed or paralyzed or a vegetable for the rest of your life.

If you wouldn't try something that just leaves you alive but paraplegic for many more years, why would you try something that could send you to the bad place and you can't come back from it?

*If you are thinking about suicide, don't ask us. Call for professional help.*

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(Joh 10:27)My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
(Joh 10:28)And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall anymanpluck them out of my hand.

"...neither shall any pluck them out of my hand"

Upvote 0