Do Some parents like to hold their children back from success?

LaMandaRaye

Dec 4, 2008
✟7,814.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I posted my dilemma in the depression thread. Basically, my mother forced mt to drop out of college to enter this new nursing program. She thought it was going to be quicker and get me through much faster than college. I did not want to go but she pretty much bullied me into doing it

The program ended up beng just what I thought it was a load of crap, and it does not look like I will be getting accepted.

I just do not want to spend the rest of my life working a mininum wage job, or spend the rest of my adulthood doing this over and over again, always taking classes and never going anywhere. So I searched online, and went to nursing forums and discovered a RN program that accepts people without a gpa or pre req requirement. You get right into the program and it's 15 months or less. The thing is that it's 1 hour 50 min away, and it's out of state.

I told my mother about this program before, as a Plan B, and she was against it. Well, I told her about it again, and the as usual she says "You can't do it. How are you going to study you'll spend most of your time on the road? How can you afford the gas?"

I told her that I'll work on the weekend for gas money. My mother responds, "HOw are you going to have time to study if you are working?"

I can't believe some of the stuff that is coming out of her mouth, she's thinking of every reason for me to just stay in this rut. This rut of living at home, never doing better and sometimes worse.

I know my car is not brand new (I bought it a few months ago) but it rides pretty good and I feel like it can make it out there. I'd at least like to try. I had another car that was very raggedy but I drove it to a job that was 1 hour 30 minutes away everyday and it never broke down until two years later.

My mother helps me out a lot, she really does and I appreciate it. I LOVE my mother. But sometimes I feel like apart of her only supports and encourages the behavior that will keep me here. It's like it brings her comfort knowing that I will never do better than what she did when she was my age. I feel that she gets gratification out of chastizing me and tell me what I haven't done with my life at times. And seeing my father do the same thing too

I'd hate to let 1 hour and 50 minutes get in the way of my opportunity to be an RN. I feel like i can do it. I'd regret it if I don't try. I told my mother in an assertive way that I am going no matter what seh says even though she gets very angry. She tells me that I should not hold up the car everyday like that, even though she has a very expensive car in the garage she can use to get to work

Can I have some reasonable advice from other parents or people? Am I making the wrong decision?? I really need some help

Justinph5

Apr 1, 2008
a
✟7,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I can just say that its not just you... If it were up to my dad, I wouldn't even leave our county for school and a job. My mom's the one who helped me go where I wanted and thinks I'd have fun going around doind whatever afterwards too. Its just those over-protective parents that are afraid to see you leave them I think.

Upvote 0

buddy_holly

What would Jesus do for a Klondike Bar?
Oct 30, 2008
Pitt Meadows
✟15,343.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
For some, I guess it seems that this is the case, but in terms of my parents, I was able to make my own decisions, regardless of whether it brought me up or took me down.

I decided to live with my grandparents for a year so I was able to graduate high school with my friends in my hometown, and my parents were nothing but supportive.

However it may be a good idea to mention that my parents are divorced and re-married, which also may come into the equation.

I think the amount of siblings you have and where you are situated in that respect comes into play. I'm the eldest of three boys, so I was the "responsible one" ;-P.

Anyways, afterwards I lived a year with my dad, and then moved out to live on my own, to make my own way. No college savings, no emergency funds. Just me.

I could not comprehend what it would feel like to have them in my corner for absolutely everything. It sounds stifling.

- Buddy Holly

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Can I have some reasonable advice from other parents or people?
My advice is to do it. Don't pass up a wonderful opportunity because your parents want to hold you back. Ironically, they will probably be thanking you many years down the road when they need someone financially stable to look after them when they are too old to work.

Upvote 0

buddy_holly

What would Jesus do for a Klondike Bar?
Oct 30, 2008
Pitt Meadows
✟15,343.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Haha, it's not about that, thanks for the advice though.

The relationship with my parents stopped being a parent/child relationship when I was around 16.

It's more of an equal/friendship kind of relationship.

Checking up on you, but not breathing over your shoulder. I think they know I'd drift further away if they tried to keep me very close.

Upvote 0

angelT17

Jun 28, 2006
Jamdung/Jamrock/Island in the sun
✟21,946.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I do not think that some parents "LIKE" to hold their children back from success (like being the operative word). I just think that with regards to their child's future, some parents have difficulty allowing the child to make his/her's own decision. This is usually because parents think they know what's best for you (which is true to some extent). Some parents don't understand that their child knows what he/she wants to do; their child more than likely knows his/her strengths and weaknesses. Hence, the child may have a better understanding of the ideal career for him/her. I think parents should be a guide rather than "bully" their child into doing something.

Upvote 0