Do some of Trump's critics seem increasingly unhinged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Do Trump's critics seem increasingly unhinged?

Removed the word 'liberal' from the title because, imo, it's not a left or right thing in the unhinged department. I'd also ask that people actually read the article, as the guy doesn't sound like a particular fan of Trump.

Anti-Trump fervor is making liberals far more illiberal. Commentators in the Washington Post and New York Times have called for selective censorship of ideas and doctrines they abhor. A recent Washington Post article touted 38 fixes for democracy including mandating three years of compulsory labor for young people in the military of AmeriCorps-like programs, outlawing private education, punitively punishing gun owners, and vastly increasing redistribution to end racial inequities.

Many Trump opponents are the same type of zealots who, in the late 1700s, proudly labeled themselves “Friends of Government.” In their eyes, Trump’s greatest sin is tarnishing the majesty of the presidency and the federal government. Trump is exposing the sham of a Leviathan Democracy which pretends that presidents will be philosopher kings — instead of merely talented vote catchers. However, Trump cannot be blamed for destroying Americans’ trust in Washington. This was already achieved by presidents such as George W. Bush and Obama who the media occasionally exalted to the skies.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do Trump's critics seem increasingly unhinged?

Removed the word 'liberal' from the title because, imo, it's not a left or right thing in the unhinged department. I'd also ask that people actually read the article, as the guy doesn't sound like a particular fan of Trump.

Anti-Trump fervor is making liberals far more illiberal. Commentators in the Washington Post and New York Times have called for selective censorship of ideas and doctrines they abhor. A recent Washington Post article touted 38 fixes for democracy including mandating three years of compulsory labor for young people in the military of AmeriCorps-like programs, outlawing private education, punitively punishing gun owners, and vastly increasing redistribution to end racial inequities.

Many Trump opponents are the same type of zealots who, in the late 1700s, proudly labeled themselves “Friends of Government.” In their eyes, Trump’s greatest sin is tarnishing the majesty of the presidency and the federal government. Trump is exposing the sham of a Leviathan Democracy which pretends that presidents will be philosopher kings — instead of merely talented vote catchers. However, Trump cannot be blamed for destroying Americans’ trust in Washington. This was already achieved by presidents such as George W. Bush and Obama who the media occasionally exalted to the skies.

You mean ... more unhinged than Trump ???

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the problem is with President Trumps supporters? They are actually starting to have to find more and more desperate ways to support him but by simply saying "President Trumps critics are unhinged!" it takes the pressure off of them. Because who needs to refute an argument made by someone who's "unhinged"? :scratch:
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would say its more of his supporters that seem unhinged, as they try amazing mental gymnastics to defend every terrible decision and action he has taken, along with many other GOP degenerates.

We had conservatives smashing coffee machines in defense of a pedophile.

Let's think about that for a second.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps the problem is with President Trumps supporters? They are actually starting to have to find more and more desperate ways to support him but by simply saying "President Trumps critics are unhinged!" it takes the pressure off of them. Because who needs to refute an argument made by someone who's "unhinged"? :scratch:
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Perhaps the problem is that people don't read articles before commenting, and mistake someone who obviously isn't a Trumper as one for complaining about his critics acting unsightly?

Just another thought. ;)

Aren't we all supposed to be critics of the government...?

Sure, the author even includes a bit about that, after a manner of speaking:

Trump’s critics are correct that the president has too much arbitrary power. But many people happy to believe the worst about Trump will heave all their skepticism overboard when the next political savior is anointed. Such naivete is being encouraged at the highest levels of the Democratic Party. Recall that Hillary Clinton’s recent book declared that the lesson of George Orwell’s "1984" is that people should trust their leaders and the media.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the problem is that people don't read articles before commenting, and mistake someone who obviously isn't a Trumper as one for complaining about his critics acting unsightly?

Just another thought. ;)

(snip)
...was what I said wrong in any way? :scratch:
tulc(just another thought) :D

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
...was what I said wrong in any way? :scratch:
tulc(just another thought) :D

Nope, you side-stepped the issue completely.

Only when a non-Republican is in charge. Please try to keep up.

Could you show me where the article states that? I missed it.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was never a trump fan during the primary nor the general. And he comes across as not politically polished, but I don't care because he's not a politician, which is part of his charm to his supporters.

However, one thing that I LOVE about his presidency is he is exposing both the left as the immature lunatics they are and shining a light on the RINO's in the GOPe. He's killin' McCain.

He's also exposing liberal sleepers on the right like Michael Medved.

I confess the lunacy is a guilty pleasure on my part. It's also allowed a couple of guys I never heard of before to really percolate to the top of the pile regarding political comment:
Tucker Carlson and Ben Shapiro.

I love those guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Trump has set the bar pretty high ...

But some of his followers manage to surpass him.

One here said that the NFL players who linked arms during the National Anthem were doing so in solidarity with Trump!

• Haha
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It’s a partisan op-ed. Puhleeze.

I do love it when people don't bother to read stuff.

Unfortunately, Trump’s biggest follies (thus far) have evoked the loudest cheers from his Washington critics. Trump’s finest hour, according to much of the media, was sending 59 cruise missiles to blast the Syrian government based on mere allegations that it had carried out a chemical weapons attack. Pulling the rug from under the Iran deal (one of Obama’s solid achievements) was cheered by much of the foreign policy elite as if destabilizing the Middle East was akin to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Trump’s threats to “totally destroy” North Korea spurred no effective resistance on Capitol Hill. But blundering into another war would do more harm to American democracy than 10,000 raving Oval Office tweets.

• Agree
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do love it when people don't bother to read stuff.

Unfortunately, Trump’s biggest follies (thus far) have evoked the loudest cheers from his Washington critics. Trump’s finest hour, according to much of the media, was sending 59 cruise missiles to blast the Syrian government based on mere allegations that it had carried out a chemical weapons attack. Pulling the rug from under the Iran deal (one of Obama’s solid achievements) was cheered by much of the foreign policy elite as if destabilizing the Middle East was akin to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Trump’s threats to “totally destroy” North Korea spurred no effective resistance on Capitol Hill. But blundering into another war would do more harm to American democracy than 10,000 raving Oval Office tweets.
Yeah, the author is no trump fan and is 180 degrees from my viewpoint on those issues. And I'm so conservative I've been calling fox news liberal for well over a decade.

• Agree
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the Trump follies are Legion. Knew that. Letting the Generals run the wars is one thing. Letting them do diplomacy is another. So what’s that to do with throwing shade at Trump’s critics.:scratch:

Your claim that it was just a partisan attack. Seems pretty open with their critic of, well, everyone. Happy Birthday, btw.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.