Do Russian Orthodox feel anger towards the CCCP?

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look, I’m not saying that I personally am ok with Soviet Russia!!! I’m saying that some Russians who didn’t have a terrible experience back then don’t see it for what it really was—-EVIL, ATHEIST, INTRISIVE, FREEDOM-DEPRIVING.....

My fellow parishioners tell me the older folks have more sentimentality and warmth toward the Soviet era because Russia survived WWII under the USSR, put a man on the moon under them, and most old-timers weren’t alive during the Red October Revolution. They either didn’t believe the rumors about Stalin or figured he had his reasons.

The younger generation didn’t like Soviet life as much.

Most people at my parish just muddled along, prayed, went to Church, paid their taxes, played by the rules, didn’t know any better.

A lot of Russians after the collapse of the hammer and sickle were living in awful conditions, starving, watching crime soar, mafia rose up, things were unstable, and they missed “good ole” communism because of its stability....

So it wasn't that bad the later half of the era? Is that what you meant by prism of experience?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The pre-Soviet government did damage to the Church too, in its own way (not as great and not usually in the same ways). But people look back on that with "fondness" too - even though now basically no one has any direct memory of those times.

It happens. Grass, greener...

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The older ROCOR folk really hate communism and the Soviet era. For most of the common people its just part of the history. Of course they are going to celebrate their victory in WW2 and their fellow countrymen that perished. We still celebrate the founding fathers even though most dislike that they had slaves, we still invest in the stock market and participate in captialism even though many criticize it, the Great Depression did not malign it, etc

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,461.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My fellow parishioners tell me the older folks have more sentimentality and warmth toward the Soviet era because Russia survived WWII under the USSR, put a man on the moon under them
I take it he's still there, since there is no official record of Russia successfully putting a man on the moon (a rover vehicle, yes. A man, no).

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I concur. I think it’s like the “taking a knee” folly in the NFL. Black athletes think they’re making some statement because America is supposedly still racist, and until the United States is 100% flawless and saintly to the core,we don’t salute the flag. Well, ain’t gonna happen! We screw up! And with humans at the helm, we always will. Patriotism recognizes big ideas that make us great, our heritage of heroism and bravery in tough times and wars, and our striving for ideals. We’re like families, countries, and we occasionally act stupid. Communism was a BAD idea, but there was a shared experience of the people then and much struggle and loss against Germany and other things. It brings out sentimentality of the era, but most realize the huge negatives also!

The older ROCOR folk really hate communism and the Soviet era. For most of the common people its just part of the history. Of course they are going to celebrate their victory in WW2 and their fellow countrymen that perished. We still celebrate the founding fathers even though most dislike that they had slaves, we still invest in the stock market and participate in captialism even though many criticize it, the Great Depression did not malign it, etc

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,298.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your Priest is right. Communism WAS the most destructive thing ever to happen to the Eastern Orthodox. The terror lasted until Stalins death in 1953. After his death Nikita Khrushchev took over and the situation was stabilized, but there was still oppression. Those who say they liked it was after Stalins death, otherwise their story would've been different. And about the Flag waving thing. If it were the Soviet Era there wouldn't be no Icons of Christ during the parade.

It's 2018 (the October Revolution was exactly 100 years ago) and Russia still refuses to release all secret documents by the Communists, all the crimes done by the Bolsheviks led by Vladimir Lenin, the Red Army who was built by Leon Trotsky and the Cheka (it will undergo a few name changes but it will be famous by the name NKVD and later as the KGB) led by Felix Dzerzhinsky. There are still documents released in other countries who detail what the Bolsheviks were doing, but still people find it not worthy to invest some time in history to know why WWI, The October Revolution and WWII happened, people remain ignorant. I'm halting here as I do not want to go deep anymore. If you ARE interested on the subject PM me and I'll try to answer much of your questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Your Priest is right. Communism WAS the most destructive thing ever to happen to the Eastern Orthodox. The terror lasted until Stalins death in 1953. After his death Nikita Khrushchev took over and the situation was stabilized, but there was still oppression. Those who say they liked it was after Stalins death, otherwise their story would've been different. And about the Flag waving thing. If it were the Soviet Era there wouldn't be no Icons of Christ during the parade.

It's 2018 (the October Revolution was exactly 100 years ago) and Russia still refuses to release all secret documents by the Communists, all the crimes done by the Bolsheviks led by Vladimir Lenin, the Red Army who was built by Leon Trotsky and the Cheka (it will undergo a few name changes but it will be famous by the name NKVD and later as the KGB) led by Felix Dzerzhinsky. There are still documents released in other countries who detail what the Bolsheviks were doing, but still people find it not worthy to invest some time in history to know why WWI, The October Revolution and WWII happened, people remain ignorant. I'm halting here as I do not want to go deep anymore. If you ARE interested on the subject PM me and I'll try to answer much of your questions.

Yes, you might want to ask Ukrainians about Stalin. I know many peoples family members were killed and imprisoned by him. Then there was also the Holodomor! Also, when I was younger I got into a fight with another kid in the Ukraine (was still the USSR then) when he said Lenin and not God made the world. They believed and were taught that!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,298.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you might want to ask Ukrainians about Stalin. I know many peoples family members were killed and imprisoned by him. Then there was also the Holodomor!
I know all about that.

Also, when I was younger I got into a fight with another kid in the Ukraine (was still the USSR then) when he said Lenin and not God made the world. They believed and were taught that!!
Hey at least they weren't taught that we evolved from monkeys.

Anyway I don't care. Nobody cares. At the end of the day, the Soviets and Allies were victorious and they covered up their crimes. America still does it today.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You may find the book The Illuminating Icon pretty interesting - it was written shortly before the fall of the USSR and in some parts discusses some aspects of Christian life behind the Iron Curtain. The timing of it makes it particularly intriguing as, post-fall, impressions quickly get overwhelmed by the massive changes. Of course, it is a broad-ranging book and talks about a lot more besides just what was going on in Russia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums