Do prophets speak to our Leaders and the church today ?

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the Bible Prophets spoke to Kings on behalf of God. Does that still happen today?

I believe it does.

As this thread progresses, if it does not degenerate into a doctrinal slug fest it will become clear what this has to do with American politics. I would like to get a feel for what people believe about the topic from a biblical perspective as well as a secular perspective.

Last edited:

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the Bible Prophets spoke to Kings on behalf of God. Does that still happen today?

I believe it does.

As this thread progresses, if it does not degenerate into a doctrinal slug fest it will become clear what this has to do with American politics.
Any examples you know of?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, there are still prophets today, and yes, they do speak.

The question is: will they be heard and heeded in time to make a difference.
You may recognize them more easily as "watchers on the walls" (also known today as "the experts" who are asked for their opinions on various subjects.)

But there are two differences between yesterday's watchers, and today's experts that bears remembering!
1. Look to see whom these "experts" are aligned with, and
2. from whose "pocket" their pay comes from.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do but I want to get a feel for what people believe about the topic first. A biblical perspective is what I would like first.

If you want a biblical perspective first. You are in the wrong forum.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would certainly call Pope Francis a prophetic voice. He is telling the world what mankind needs to do to survive in God's gift to us--the world. He is refocusing us on the heart of Jesus' message.
  • Use our natural resources wisely and conservatively.
  • Recognize that the poorest and neediest countries and people are harmed by the effects of mankind's excesses much more than we are.
  • See Christ (or God as you understand him) in every other human.
  • Realize material things do not bring joy; our relationships with others and God do.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As this thread progresses, if it does not degenerate into a doctrinal slug fest it will become clear what this has to do with American politics.

lol all you have to do in is type in "Word of the Lord" and a name of a American president in recent history on YouTube to understand this.

Theologically I'm OK with the basic idea. The devil is in the details. I entered the Charismatic movement in 1990 where the big prophetic movement was winding up and I have followed that movement and all it's claims, most of which did not come true!

In my estimation if you are saying that God told me a big event is going to happen on this day. That event better happen, or at least if it happens and it is a bad event that is the judgement of God, God withdrawing his hand of protection etc. there had better be some kind of big revival or repentance that takes place. I do not accept weasel words that this event is going to happen, "but we had a prayer meeting and we stopped it". Well if that is the case, you better say that from the get go. The problem with this stuff is people say all kinds of stuff that never happens.... And this includes other ethically questionable stuff like using fear mongering, sensationalism etc. for the sake of taking up big offerings etc.

Anyway when it comes to things like accountability, and accuracy is where I have my problems.... I've seen many Charismatic "prophets" and only I trust one when it comes to visions of America etc. and he died a few years back....

hmmh if you were going to ask this on a political board I would think you would have at least posted on the Christian one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've seen many Charismatic "prophets" and only I trust one when it comes to visions of America etc. and he died a few years back....
Would you care to share who that one is? I am very curious to know.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hmmh if you were going to ask this on a political board I would think you would have at least posted on the Christian one.
Someone else raised that point. Fair enough to question but how about we approach this from any perspective not just a Christian one? One does not have to be a Christian to believe there are prophets.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I believe it does.

As this thread progresses, if it does not degenerate into a doctrinal slug fest it will become clear what this has to do with American politics. I would like to get a feel for what people believe about the topic from a biblical perspective as well as a secular perspective.
What prophet? There's no such thing to me. As for the few Kings. They might believe in God. The few Kings, that are still around is because of tradition and nothing more.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." (I Cor 12:28).

So there will be prophetic voices

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Postvieww
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What prophet? There's no such thing to me. As for the few Kings. They might believe in God. The few Kings, that are still around is because of tradition and nothing more.

In this context think of "Kings" as leader of countries even though they may be called Presidents, Prime Ministers or Dictators.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I will eventually relate this to American politics which affects everyone here and more generally the world Christian or not.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would certainly call Pope Francis a prophetic voice. He is telling the world what mankind needs to do to survive in God's gift to us--the world. He is refocusing us on the heart of Jesus' message.
  • Use our natural resources wisely and conservatively.
  • Recognize that the poorest and neediest countries and people are harmed by the effects of mankind's excesses much more than we are.
  • See Christ (or God as you understand him) in every other human.
  • Realize material things do not bring joy; our relationships with others and God do.
While they may not have the platform of the Pope any priest, pastor or lay person can convey those messages. Would you consider them all to be prophetic voices?

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You may recognize them more easily as "watchers on the walls" (also known today as "the experts" who are asked for their opinions on various subjects.)

Are you saying experts in various fields are prophets that speak on behalf of God?

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my estimation if you are saying that God told me a big event is going to happen on this day. That event better happen, or at least if it happens and it is a bad event that is the judgement of God, God withdrawing his hand of protection etc. there had better be some kind of big revival or repentance that takes place. I do not accept weasel words that this event is going to happen, "but we had a prayer meeting and we stopped it". Well if that is the case, you better say that from the get go. The problem with this stuff is people say all kinds of stuff that never happens.... And this includes other ethically questionable stuff like using fear mongering, sensationalism etc. for the sake of taking up big offerings etc.

There is a lot to unpack in your above statement I'll just keep it simple for now and say there are false prophets but that in no way does away with true prophets.

Upvote 0