Do pets & animals go to heaven & do they have souls?

What do you think?

• They Have Souls

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • They Do Not Have Souls

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A soul? Dont think so. In heaven? Duh .. yes. Its not what I think or anyone else. Its what GOD your Father thinks and knows and said. God does not give us so much to take it rob it from us..things that are good. Did He not say how much He cares just for one tiny bird? HE made that. He is the the ONLY God of LIFE not death.

THINK.. how was it at the start? Did not Adam name everything? This was BEFORE the fall. All this was mans. When man fell it was handed over to satan. As Satan said to Christ this was given/handed to me its mine to give to who ever I want. We are not puppets.

What does NOT make it to heaven is sin.. evil. So you will remember all you do now. Just take satan out of all this and the rest will be remembered. What do you think the "book of remembrance" is? ALL of this is just a cloudy dirty looking glass if you will of what Heaven will be like. God is a God of LIFE. Jesus said as some wanted to stop those from worshipping Him.. He said.. if you stop them.. even the ROCKS will cry out. You really think this earth is dead? GOD does not make death..He cant. SIN=death. If its alive now ..it will be after all this. And thats good or bad. Each has a place it will go.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God chose the NT to be written in the everyday Greek of the first century, so of course there was Greek ways of thinking involved in the translations. This was God's choice, so perhaps God had been preparing the Greek language and thought for just this purpose.
This seems like speculation - you appear to just assume that the translators faithfully captured the intended meaning. I think it is much better to look at the texts as penned in their original languages and do the hard work of understanding how people in that time and place used words like "soul".

I am no scholar, but my general impression is that the scholars - the ones who really study this - tend to agree that the modern conception of "soul" was not part of the mental furniture of those who penned the scriptures.

And do animals have their own species-specific kind of souls and are they capable of being redeemed and resurrected into the new earth situation? I happen to think so, at least those pets loved by God's true children.
I share your hope and expectation but not because I believe that either human beings or animals have a "soul" in the way this term is used by most 21st century westerners.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that is a very hard position to make work. Consider this:

How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock.

Here, David prays for gruesome death of infants. How can this be anything other than David's personal wish - how can it possibly reflect the divine truth? God is going to bless those who slaughter infants?

Or this, from Ecclesiastes:

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind.

All is vanity? Our works count for nothing? Tell that to Paul. Again, the point is that in some Biblical texts, God allows the author to express a mistaken position; surely this is a literary device to "set up" the opposing truth that is expressed elsewhere in Scripture.

By the way, I agree with your position on the whole "immortal soul" issue. I suggest you remind others of the pernicious influence of Greek "dualistic" thinking in the Western tradition.

Hi expos4ever,

I agree that there places where personal opinions are given. Maybe I wasn't clear. With God there are no contradictions. You see, I don't see one expressing an opinion in the Scriptures as contradicting anything because it's an opinion, not a fact. I would submit that we won't find stated facts that contradict one another in the Scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures are clear that the resurrection of believers has not yet occurred, meaning that the bodies of deceased believers are still in the grave (1 Corinthians 15:50-54; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17).

Agreed.

I too have studied the question of an intermediary soul state for many years, including my 6 years in seminary. It is amazing that our conclusions are exactly opposite.

There are a number of indications of an immediate translation of souls into the heavenlies when believers die. The evidence points to an intermediate state where souls/spirits live consciously with God and with other believers prior to the resurrection.

This statement presumes that it is possible for some part of man to live on after the death of the body. I reject that premise. Can you show me anything in the Scriptures that shows that there is some part of man that can live on after death?

I would submit that in order to answer this question we need to know what a man is. Moses records the creation of man in Gen 2:7.

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.1 (Gen. 2:7 KJV)

We see that God created the man from the dust of the ground. So, man consists of the dust or the elements of the earth. That is what man is. Then we see that God breathed His breath or spirit of life into the man and the man became something else. He became a living soul. Before he received the breath of life he was not a living soul. From this we see that a soul consists of two things, the man and the breath or spirit of life from God. We know from Scripture that when a man dies God's breath or spirit of life returns to Him and the man's body returns to the dust. That leaves nothing to live on. The soul doesn't exist when the breath or spirit of life leaves. The breath or spirit of life is something from God that gives the man life. The man, created from the dust of the earth returns to the dust. Everything is accounted for there is nothing left to live on.

So, my contention is that man doesn't go on in an intermediate state after the death of the body and that is based on the explanation I just gave. This is why I reject the premise of your argument. Unless it can be shown somehow that there is a part of man that can live on after death any interpretation of the following passages that you've cited should be re-evaluated.

Just off the top, we do have Jesus’ story of Lazarus and the rich man which is quite clear. We have the thief on the cross next to Jesus (“This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise”). The Book of Revelation (6:9) has reference to “souls under the altar who cry out day and night.”

We have Paul writing: “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.” (Phil 1:21-24) There is no guarantee he is not talking about “sleeping” in Christ until the resurrection, but that is not the straightforward or obvious interpretation of his words. He is going to be with Jesus when he dies and almost can’t wait.

Likewise, in 2 Corinthians 5:1-8 Paul writes quite clearly: “For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened— not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.”

Then there are the passages about believers being "in Christ" and "Christ in us"... which means forever, starting with conversion. The Holy Spirit is in me and also in heaven. Jesus is at the right hand of the Father in the heavenlies, but I also (even now) am connected to Him. As Paul taught, “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 2:4-7)

This is just a start. There are many more passages about Hades and Paradise where souls reside prior to the Last Judgment, prior to the two resurrections to come (one for believers to be with Christ, one for unbelievers to the Lake of Fire). You don't have to believe it, but don't say that there is not sufficient evidence in the Bible for this belief in a soul afterlife with the Lord prior to the resurrection. My guess is that your own evidence to the contrary is far less.

I have addressed all of these in the past as some point. I think if we look more deeply into each passage and consider the context we'll find that they don't support the idea of an intermediate state. If you noticed, none of the passages you posted actually state that some part of man lives on after death. That idea is being inferred from these passages. That inference is based on the presupposition that there is a part of man that can live on after death. What I said above about the creation of man is stated plainly in the Scripture, I didn't infer it.

In order to look at the passages you posted we would need to put in some time and effort. One of the easiest passages to address is the thief on the cross. Jesus said,

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Lk. 23:43 KJV)

The original texts didn't have punctuation, that is added by the translators. The translator uses his understanding when punctuating the text. Therefore his theological bias will influence the way he punctuates it. By simply moving the comma from before today to after today we completely change the sentence.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee To day, shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Lk. 23:43 KJV)

By placing the comma after today the time frame of when Jesus and the thief being in paradise changes. Either interpretation is possible therefore, this passage cannot used to support the idea of an intermediate state.

You quoted 2 Cor. 5. You bolded the part about being at home in the body and would rather be apart from the body. To use this as a argument for an intermediate state apart from the physical body runs counter to what Paul had just said. You quoted verses 1-8 in which Paul said.

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. (2 Cor. 5:1-4 KJV)

Here Paul is really discussing to states of being, mortal and immortal. However, notice that he rejects the Greek idea of leaving his physical body. He says not that we should be found naked. He's not looking to put off his physical body. Notice verse 4, he says, "not that we would be unclothed," that is without a body. He then says, "but clothed upon" or "further clothed" as it is in the version you quoted. The Greek word actually means to put on over, as one would put on a coat over their clothes. This is also confirmed in the end of verse 4 when he says, "that mortality might be swallowed up of life". He's not looking to put off his physical body, he's looking for his mortality to be swallowed up by immortality. This is the context for his later words that you bolded.

Also, if you look at the Greek words that are translated a absent and present, that you bolded, in the KJV you'll find that they mean to be with or away from one's own people or homeland. Who are the Christians own people? Wouldn't that be the "body" of Christ? It's Paul's desire to be absent from the body of Christ and present with Christ. That's his desire. We know that Paul didn't believe in an intermediate state and that when one died they were dead until the resurrection. The dead have no concept of time so when one would die the next thing they would experience is the resurrection. It would be as if no time had passed at all.

That we know Paul didn't believe in an intermediate state can be seen from his words in 1 Cor 15.

16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. (1 Cor. 15:16-18 KJV)

Here Paul says that if the dead don't rise then who have died in Christ have perished. He doesn't say they are in Heaven or an intermediate state, he said they've perished. The only hope Paul holds out for the dead in Christ is the resurrection.

There's more that could be said on this passage as well as the others you quoted. If you'd like we can address the others too. Let's look at what you believe is the strongest evidence.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

HQwriterADH

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟10,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Read 2 Timothy 2:23. I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously, there is nothing about this in the Bible, therefore we could argue it all day and that would be pointless. If you are interested in learning about the Bible in a manner that will help you in your daily life check out the soon to be released book God chose me to write called "Heaven Quest- A Detour Home", there is a facebook page btw.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read 2 Timothy 2:23. I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously, there is nothing about this in the Bible, therefore we could argue it all day and that would be pointless. If you are interested in learning about the Bible in a manner that will help you in your daily life check out the soon to be released book God chose me to write called "Heaven Quest- A Detour Home", there is a facebook page btw.

Is this addressed to me?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Part of what makes our earthly lives great is our pets, for those who have them. They have understanding and consciousness and personality and will, so yes, they should be considered to have a soul. Probably the reason the Bible never addressed it is because no on really had pets then. They had animals that they raised for food and sacrifices, but not pets.

Frankly, if our pets aren't in heaven, that's not heaven. If there's no hope of that in heaven, and all heaven is is worshipping God in an endless Mass for all eternity... does that really sound like paradise?

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of what makes our earthly lives great is our pets, for those who have them.
Just an emotional argument.
They have understanding and consciousness and personality and will, so yes, they should be considered to have a soul.
Understanding, consciousness, personality are not the definition of a soul, or even a part of it.
Probably the reason the Bible never addressed it is because no on really had pets then. They had animals that they raised for food and sacrifices, but not pets.
Not true, the Egyptians had pets.
Frankly, if our pets aren't in heaven, that's not heaven. If there's no hope of that in heaven, and all heaven is is worshipping God in an endless Mass for all eternity... does that really sound like paradise?
Sounds like you worship your pet above God then if you think it would not be heaven with God but without your pet.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not a stupid argument that should be dismissed as insignificant. This goes back to Genesis 1 and what it means to be made in the image of God and how special we are, even above angels. Notice it says mankind, not all animals.

Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

As for other scripture that addresses this question; the Bible says plenty on those people that believe and are baptized in Jesus will be saved.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
Just waiting for a church that so perverts God's word and starts baptizing animals.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I too have studied the question of an intermediary soul state for many years, including my 6 years in seminary. It is amazing that our conclusions are exactly opposite.
Just wondering; is your view on where the soul goes at death purely what you were taught in the seminary? This is my problem with so many doctrinally trained. They learn from their professor, not scripture. Of course their professor quotes scripture, but another person learns from another professor with his scripture and concludes the exact opposite. The problem is that most seminaries teach an affiliated church's doctrine rather than just studying the Bible.

The fact that two educated people have opposing doctrine is not amazing at all, because what you believe comes from a teaching of man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not convinced that the concept of an "eternal soul" is even Biblical. I think there are reasons to suspect that a little Greek Platonism has insinuated itself in the Christian tradition. I believe the Jews had no such concept.
You are correct that the Sadducees had no concept of an eternal soul. They didn't even have a word for what we now call a soul. And so this thread.

But things changed when Jesus came and he taught us to live this life such that we will receive our reward in the next life. Look how Jesus rebuked the Sadducees for not believing in the next life. For a question about the resurrection, Jesus responded with a superlative answer. That means that he not only answered their question about the the dead being raised again, he offered up additional revelation on the subject of death. He said that even though the body is dead, they are still alive. And so, the church of the NT used this expression of sleeping when referring to the dead.

Matthew 22:23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yalad means yalad. English translations don't "pick apart the multiple meanings" there is only one Hebrew meaning to the one Hebrew word. Both men and animals function in action according to the word "yalad": they are both the same in regards to the ability.

Do you understand the concept of homographs? That is when one word has multiple meanings/uses. The Hebrew language has these. You insist that yalad has but one meaning, but the definition you gave of "bringing forth by birth" does not even fit the most important use of the word yalad in Psalm 2:7 or the Nicene Creed. I gave by example of how the KJV translators found meanings of yalad such that they used over 14 english words in translating yalad. If yalad truely had only one meaning, they certainly wouldn't need so many different words.

I'm not sure you're understanding the purpose of a translation. It is not to "redfine" the original; it is to bring the original into a different language to make the original as understandable as possible in the new language.
I don't think you understand how difficult it is to translate ancient manuscripts to current languages. And, homographs have to be of the most difficult part to the process.

I get what you are saying with redefining the original, especially since the ancient Hebrews did not even have a word that matches what we now call a soul. But, what I was doing was looking at an association and matching it to what we know about Jesus, that his soul was not created at conception. There must be a way to describe the creation/start of flesh life vs soul life, even if there are not specific words for it.

I would propose that you are the one concerned with the meanings of the words since you are the one who replied to me. Your statement "conflate life, breath, spirit, soul" is like saying "conflate chay, neshama, ruach, nephesh" which I am not doing. Meaning, "to conflate" means "to combine": I am not combining the words, I am citing their use in scripture.
Anyone who argues must be concerned about words and their meanings.

You do conflate when you put all four words in one sentence and say animals are just as we are, having them. Then you use an old/incorrect to modern definition of the word soul translation of nephesh.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But things changed when Jesus came and he taught us to live this life such that we will receive our reward in the next life.....
I see nothing in the text you quoted that forces us to conclude that Jesus believes in a "soul" as conceived by most 21st century westerners, i.e. a consciousness-bearing immaterial entity that inhabits the human body and can exist independent of it.

I am, of course, not denying that Jesus teaches a resurrected state to come. However, there are ways to conceive of this that do not require believing in this particular conception of the "soul".

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing in the text you quoted that forces us to conclude that Jesus believes in a "soul" as conceived by most 21st century westerners, i.e. a consciousness-bearing immaterial entity that inhabits the human body and can exist independent of it.

I am, of course, not denying that Jesus teaches a resurrected state to come. However, there are ways to conceive of this that do not require believing in this particular conception of the "soul".
How do you think one is called alive by Jesus, even though their physical body is dead? Obviously there is something outside of their physical body that is still associated with their name such that they continue to live. The NT raises the awareness of a spiritual world and the earthly world, Ephesians 6:12. It should be clear from Jesus' words and others that the part of us that is spiritual is our soul. It lives forever.

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mark 8:36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Revelation 6:9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.

Revelation 20:4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand the concept of homographs? That is when one word has multiple meanings/uses. The Hebrew language has these. You insist that yalad has but one meaning, but the definition you gave of "bringing forth by birth" does not even fit the most important use of the word yalad in Psalm 2:7 or the Nicene Creed.

Yalad does only have one meaning in Hebrew: yalad. Your proposition that animals do not "bring forth/beget/yalad" is false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yalad does only have one meaning in Hebrew: yalad. Your proposition that animals do not "bring forth/beget/yalad" is false.
You think you know Hebrew better than the KJV translators and every other translation of the Bible that uses different English words in different places in their translations where yalad was used.

My proposition is that animals do not bring forth a soul.

Upvote 0

Agnes Kivumbi

fruit in every season
Oct 17, 2016
Uganda
✟15,251.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
no, and those who believe so will tell you straight up it's based off emotionalism. I have a saved friend who's an evangelical/pentecostal similar to my faith, but he used to believe this

But the reason he believed...like anyone else... was cause of emotionalism, he had fish and they all died and he would bury them (Ik weird but he was younger when he did this, a kid essentially), and he has a love for animals.

And besides... i don't want lions and stuff up there anyway or snakes.
Hi brother in Christ, i would like to show you what the Bible says on this topic; Ecclesiastes 3: 19 - 21 says that the fate of a man and that of the animal is the same - As one dies so does the other... all have the same breath. Man has no advantage over the animal. All go to the same place; all come from dust , and to dust they return. Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the the spirit of the animal goes into the earth?

Since animals do not sin as man does i think that their spirits rise to heaven when they die. Since man requires salvation it is only when we reach to the judgement day that we shall know who has made it to heaven and who did not. However recognizing a former pet might be hard because these animals will not be wearing the same body.

Upvote 0

Agnes Kivumbi

fruit in every season
Oct 17, 2016
Uganda
✟15,251.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe Heaven will have everything you want it to have there. You want your fish there? There it will be. Want a star trek character there? there it will be... Dont want Lion and snakes there? You wont see any. Dont want some of the angry posters in these threads there? You wont see them....
I do disagree with this picture of heaven you are painting. Why because the Bible says that when we go to heaven we shall have a resurrection body which we acquire when we get born again. Since the animals do not need salvation like human beings once they die they acquire that body as they are worked on by the responsible angels on the heavenly altar. When they die their mission here on earth is done. Once it is done with, the animals and even birds will not have such a body, since the reason they have such bodies on earth is to perform certain functions. We shall all have bodies like the angels. Never knowing who was your pet.

Upvote 0

Agnes Kivumbi

fruit in every season
Oct 17, 2016
Uganda
✟15,251.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I think I'll be in Purgatory for a loooooong time!
Oh, i do not want to offend you, but what is purgatory? My Bible does not have this word. I believe there are only two places we can go to once we die - heaven or hell.

Upvote 0

Agnes Kivumbi

fruit in every season
Oct 17, 2016
Uganda
✟15,251.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You will see your pets in heaven.

I'd like to hear the reasons people say no without a shadow of doubt. You think God's hand is limited? Why couldn't he resurrect old pets for his children?
Of course God's hand is not limited. I know there will be animals, birds and these other creatures in heaven. However they not be serving the same purpose and not even having a similar body.

Why because the Bible says that when we go to heaven we shall have a resurrection body which we acquire when we get born again. Since the animals do not need salvation like human beings once they die they acquire that body as they are worked on by the responsible angels on the heavenly altar. When they die their mission here on earth is done. Once it is done with, the animals and even birds will not have such a body, since the reason they have such bodies on earth is to perform certain functions. We shall all have bodies like the angels. Never recognizing your former pet.

Upvote 0