Do people actually read "Terms of Service"?

alexandriaisburning

Nov 15, 2015
✟16,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do people actually read the "Terms of Service" of websites? Is it a sin to Click the 'I have read and agree to the terms of use' button when signing for a service, buying goods online, etc. when you haven't actually read them?

Someone, please help by giving a good answer to my question.

I very *rarely* read those.

Regarding whether it's a sin or not, I'd say go with what your conscience tells you to do. If you feel convicted about bypassing it by a "little white click", then perhaps you should read it before continuing. Personally, I don't see any problem with bypassing it, but then again I am not the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Servatude

Aug 11, 2012
Miami, Fl
✟15,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I very *rarely* read those.

Regarding whether it's a sin or not, I'd say go with what your conscience tells you to do. If you feel convicted about bypassing it by a "little white click", then perhaps you should read it before continuing. Personally, I don't see any problem with bypassing it, but then again I am not the Holy Spirit.

It's been bothering me for the past couple of days. It's impossible to read through all those documents, yet I feel convicted. Thanks Alex, but your answer is not what I am looking for. I would like to know whether it's a sin or not.

Upvote 0

alexandriaisburning

Nov 15, 2015
✟16,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's been bothering me for the past couple of days. It's impossible to read through all those documents, yet I feel convicted. Thanks Alex, but your answer is not what I am looking for. I would like to know whether it's a sin or not.

I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally, it slightly irritates me to find out that people skip "doing the work." But, hey, that's the "teacher" in me speaking.

The practical person in me finds it a bit tedious to read Terms of Service, but I do so in order not to be caught unawares of dynamics that exist in the construct of the agreements overseeing a website.

As far as this website goes, it pretty simple really. Be nice, play fair, and don't hit anyone over the head with condemnation. It's too bad that the Terms of Service agreement on this site has to spell out all of this stuff to the Nth degree for everyone. But, not everyone has what should be common courtesy, or common sense. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
[edited]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Servatude

Aug 11, 2012
Miami, Fl
✟15,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, it slightly irritates me to find out that people skip "doing the work." But, hey, that's the "teacher" in me speaking.

The practical person in me finds it a bit tedious to read Terms of Service, but I do so in order not to be caught unawares of dynamics that exist in the construct of the agreements overseeing a website.

As far as this website goes, it pretty simply really. Be nice, play fair, and don't hit anyone over the head with condemnation. It's too bad that the Terms of Service agreement on this sight has to spell out all of this stuff to the Nth degree for everyone. But, not everyone has what should be common courtesy, or common sense. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

You would think common sense would you get you out of trouble? I would like to think that but one cannot just rely on common sense. Plenty of people think they know what they are doing, but in actuality they are clueless of the laws and just common sense, but great answer 2Philo.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do people actually read the "Terms of Service" of websites? Is it a sin to Click the 'I have read and agree to the terms of use' button when signing for a service, buying goods online, etc. when you haven't actually read them? Someone, please help by giving a good answer to my question.
When there is a lot to read, I skim read. A quick look at the headings to see if anything interests me, and leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Those terms of services are loooong.
And its a good question.
I don't come across them too often but, when my ipad wants to update, it gives me that. I can't control what time it wants to update and often don't really have the time to read it all through before deciding.

And yes that stuff bothers me a little, so it is like a sin because, we've gone ahead with something that who knows what kind of online contract we are entering.

But how many of us have read the entire Bible before becoming a christian? Maybe its more like yes, I will read it later or at some stage. Many people do not actually read their Bibles or only get halfway and then give up. So I understand. God wants us to read everything, every jot and tittle and not only that, memorise it and have it on our hearts and even be speaking His Word everyday.

Is it asking too much? Well...

ok different situation but with Apple, it seems a lot of legalese, sometimes its just a matter of trust. So far, I haven't gotten into any harm or tangle with Apple, but I haven't bought anything, its only free software updates to the ipad.

If I was buying something then yes, I would read the contracts. I have signed things before without reading the fine print (under duress) and then got scammed. So do be careful about that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do people actually read the "Terms of Service" of websites? Is it a sin to Click the 'I have read and agree to the terms of use' button when signing for a service, buying goods online, etc. when you haven't actually read them?

Someone, please help by giving a good answer to my question.

I read the TOS. :)

Always read the fine print of everything you sign, because when you don't, this is how big corporations and agencies take you by surprise. They are counting on all of us to not read the fine print. If it's legalese, you are not expected to understand that. I would not worry about that. There are parts which are comprehendable like "how to cancel" "what are the late fees" stuff like that. Just worry about that.

First thing I look for is how to cancel the contract.

Nowadays, they are nailing us with these on-line contracts where they force you to click "I agree" when you don't wholly agree with everything.

To fix that, when I'm paying something online, or agreeing to a contract online, I click on the "Privacy Statement," scroll to the last page, and find the hidden link to the old-school printable copy of the contract to sign in wet ink, keep a copy, and mail in. So I do not click "I agree", instead, I mail in a hard copy.

I always reserve my rights under my signature and add a few other lawfully-potent words as well protecting myself. Also I cross through anything in the contract that I don't agree with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You would think common sense would you get you out of trouble? I would like to think that but one cannot just rely on common sense. Plenty of people think they know what they are doing, but in actuality they are clueless of the laws and just common sense, but great answer 2Philo.

Well-said! Although common law is based on common sense. I'd say you're on the right track though.

Put it this way: if you click on "I agree", what kind of harm could you possibly cause to another man or woman by doing so? :)

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Well-said! Although common law is based on common sense. I'd say you're on the right track though.

Put it this way: if you click on "I agree", what kind of harm could you possibly cause to another man or woman by doing so? :)
Speaking generally and according to contract law? Or according to what you know of the terms of service exclusive to this site?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
What are you really trying to say?
I didn't try to say anything. I asked clarification of the OP question based on two alternative points.
You asked in post 14, if you click on "I agree", what kind of harm could you possibly cause to another man or woman by doing so?

What are you asking there and to what do you refer? The terms as pertain to contract law itself, clicking on " I agree " in any particular context of on-line contract? Or the terms that pertain to the terms of service of Christian Forums?
Servatude, to whom you were speaking made a general observation about the laws that garnered your response in part above in bold in post 14.
Since their statement about the laws was encompassing. To what do you refer when you judge Servatude's remarks to be well said and then ask , what kind of harm could you possibly cause to another man or woman by clicking on "I agree".

The Terms of Service and Rules page itself does not have an option to agree or not on the page itself. http://www.christianforums.com/help/terms

As pertains to this site, asking what harm could clicking on "I agree", when registering an account and without reading that page is a sin. Because it is a lie that the person agreed to terms of service and rules they did not read.

Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ohh ok

I wish the emoticons here had a thumbs up and a few more emotocons I prefer lolol

Anywho, when I answered, I had in mind the type of websites where a regular money transaction is taking place as they usually cover late fees, advance notice cancellation, etc.

Yes, one can "re-contract" on a hard-copy and mail it in. So far, every time I've disagreed with something or wanted to add something, my correction was never rebutted, so it stands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I didn't try to say anything. I asked clarification of the OP question based on two alternative points.
You asked in post 14, if you click on "I agree", what kind of harm could you possibly cause to another man or woman by doing so?
What are you asking there and to what do you refer?

A corporation cannot be harmed. Only a man or woman can be harmed.

Upvote 0

Servatude

Aug 11, 2012
Miami, Fl
✟15,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can I hire an Adviser/legal assistant to read the Terms of Service for me? The amount of words written in those contracts are soooo long, I would get lost and confused and wouldn't be able to understand what I am reading because of the amount of text.

Would it be lying if I had my legal adviser read the terms of a website for me and click on "agree", because it says "YOU have agree to have read and Understand"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0