Do Pastors feel like something is about to happen soon?

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know many Preachers and Pastors hear from God a little clearer than someone who is not a church leader and I am wondering if something is about to happen because I feel like it is but I cannot be sure and I cannot get a clear answer myself.

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There isn't one moment in a day where *something* isn't about to happen soon. :)
That is not what I mean. Something is always happening but right now I feel weird and like a sense of urgency .

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In my experience there is always a pressing awareness that of the many lovely elderly members in a typical congregation (especially a UCC congregation), one will die in the near future or be diagnosed with a terminal illness. On a less dire note, I can rest assured any attempt I make at ex tempore prayer will fail miserably, so I can look forward to spending hours and hours reading collections of prayers for various occasions (the old Methodist Episcopal Book of Worship from 1964 is very useful as its a collection of Western style collects for everything from blessing a new home to prayers for the Space Race and nuclear power, which I must confess I would relish the opportunity to use; also the various editions of the Book of Common Prayer, some supplemental material in the UCC Book of Worship, and the Trebnik (Euchologion) of the Eastern Orthodox church have collectively spared me from praying extemporaneously on many occasions). Also undoubtably even on the best of Sundays at least one congregant will start to nod off during the sermon, and several others from the expression on their faces I believe I lost somewhere and they have become unsure as to the subject matter.

Finally, it was an absolute certainty before COVID the cookies (biscuits) would be stale and disgusting and the coffee would be mediocre (only Greek, Syrian, Coptic and Ethiopian Christians do really good coffee; in days past if the parishes of Italian Catholic immigrants in the US had anything like a coffee hour after mass, and I am pretty sure they did not except on special occasions, that coffee would also have rocked).

These are the extent of my premonitions.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know many Preachers and Pastors hear from God a little clearer than someone who is not a church leader and I am wondering if something is about to happen because I feel like it is but I cannot be sure and I cannot get a clear answer myself.
I have the same feeling. I think the wisest thing to do is to pray, stay calm, follow Christ, and ask for wisdom, courage, humility, and focus in the days and weeks and months ahead. I have no idea what, exactly, will happen, but I do have a weird sense of foreboding, too. God be with you, Jaxxi, and keep you safe.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The past couple of days, this has been the daily Mass reading:

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died, and their departure was thought to be an affliction, and their going from us to be their destruction; but they are at peace.

For though in the sight of men they were punished, their hope is full of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; like gold in the furnace he tried them, and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them.

In the time of their visitation they will shine forth, and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples, and the Lord will reign over them for ever.

Those who trust in him will understand truth, and the faithful will abide with him in love, because grace and mercy are upon his elect, and he watches over his holy ones.

Wisdom 3:1-9

The more out in the world I am, the more I realize that I lack any kind of courage. It is easy to be brave and opinionated on-line. It is tougher to be focused and truthful and wise in real life. To know what to say and how to say it. To stand up to subtle forms of social pressure. I am realizing that I am not good at this, and need grace. I am not brave, tough, or able to stand. Let's all pray for each other, to be braver, tougher, humbler, and more trusting.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm also no pastor, but I don't feel any real foreboding - but I'm in a different place at least from an emotional standpoint.

I feel stress right now, who doesn't? Alongside a feeling of evil having prevailed...

However, I know evil has not prevailed, not now, nor ever. Whatever this world goes through, whatever evil triumph evil seems to have, we know the end of the story...

And the end of the story is this; through Christ we can bear all things, and no evil thing we face or deal with in this body, in this world, has even the slightest impact on what really matters because Christ has prevailed - past tense... not maybe, not someday, but right this second Christ has prevailed over evil.

Our feelings are like the wind, a house of sand that we know better than to build our houses upon, because what's built on that sand will fail as feelings are ever changing, ever evolving.

What never changes is God, and God has this one even though we may like Stephen face our own torturous death we will stand, when all is said and done, before the Throne of our God and our Lord and Savior - and that is all that matters, and what all this is about and for. To bring is into His waiting arms.

So let us pray we focus on Truth, and not allow deception to enter in. God has this one, and it is in Him our hope lies regardless of anything we may face..

So no. Not feeling any sense of foreboding... I know God has this, and in Him I'm strong enough to face all things whether they be good or bad. My trust is in Him, that He has plans to prosper and not harm me...

I must add that in the Spirit of truth, it's difficult atm to feel the words I just wrote, but in the depths of my soul I know them to be absolute truth, so it is to this truth I hold on tightly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I dont know what to make of John MacArthur sometimes but this was an incredible message. At least in regards to America, God has given America to its ways and is no longer protecting the country

Why would He? We promote and encourage every sin there is and I think we have invented a few new ones! We let them turn His promise into a symbol for homosexuality, our kids couldn't quote the Bible to save their lives but know every Harry Potter book, because of plastic surgery He doesn't recognize ANYONE in California, our politicians are pedophiles, and everyone is too busy and important for God. As for people who go to church here in America, He is probably disgusted. He said..

Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
23 Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
24 But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Amos 5:22-24

So we know He gets disgusted and does not care to hear from people he detests that do not live by His ways! People who go to church and then go out to breakfast and eat bacon and ham with no regard for The Lord. We don't go to church for God, and repent and cry for Him to forgive us for our sins- we go to make ourselves feel good and pretend that He approves of how we talk and dress and our vanity, and open sensuality with no FEAR of Him whatsoever when AFRAID IS ALL WE SHOULD FEEL!! Am I wrong??

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm also no pastor, but I don't feel any real foreboding - but I'm in a different place at least from an emotional standpoint.

I feel stress right now, who doesn't? Alongside a feeling of evil having prevailed...

However, I know evil has not prevailed, not now, nor ever. Whatever this world goes through, whatever evil triumph evil seems to have, we know the end of the story...

And the end of the story is this; through Christ we can bear all things, and no evil thing we face or deal with in this body, in this world, has even the slightest impact on what really matters because Christ has prevailed - past tense... not maybe, not someday, but right this second Christ has prevailed over evil.

Our feelings are like the wind, a house of sand that we know better than to build our houses upon, because what's built on that sand will fail as feelings are ever changing, ever evolving.

What never changes is God, and God has this one even though we may like Stephen face our own torturous death we will stand, when all is said and done, before the Throne of our God and our Lord and Savior - and that is all that matters, and what all this is about and for. To bring is into His waiting arms.

So let us pray we focus on Truth, and not allow deception to enter in. God has this one, and it is in Him our hope lies regardless of anything we may face..

So no. Not feeling any sense of foreboding... I know God has this, and in Him I'm strong enough to face all things whether they be good or bad. My trust is in Him, that He has plans to prosper and not harm me...

I must add that in the Spirit of truth, it's difficult atm to feel the words I just wrote, but in the depths of my soul I know them to be absolute truth, so it is to this truth I hold on tightly.
Oh it will get to a point where it will STRONGLY look like evil has prevailed and many will feel forsaken and at their breaking point before the Lord returns. I believe those left behind who will not accept the mark of the beast will be made an example of to get everyone else to be afraid and take it. They will be skinned alive and dipped in burning acid and tortured to the likes humankind has never seen but they must remain loyal and not take the mark. The torture here is NOTHING compared to that which is in hell and that torture is eternal. These things await us if we are left behind and a huge number will be. There are horrific days ahead. May Lord have mercy on those of us who truly love Him.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In my experience there is always a pressing awareness that of the many lovely elderly members in a typical congregation (especially a UCC congregation), one will die in the near future or be diagnosed with a terminal illness. On a less dire note, I can rest assured any attempt I make at ex tempore prayer will fail miserably, so I can look forward to spending hours and hours reading collections of prayers for various occasions (the old Methodist Episcopal Book of Worship from 1964 is very useful as its a collection of Western style collects for everything from blessing a new home to prayers for the Space Race and nuclear power, which I must confess I would relish the opportunity to use; also the various editions of the Book of Common Prayer, some supplemental material in the UCC Book of Worship, and the Trebnik (Euchologion) of the Eastern Orthodox church have collectively spared me from praying extemporaneously on many occasions). Also undoubtably even on the best of Sundays at least one congregant will start to nod off during the sermon, and several others from the expression on their faces I believe I lost somewhere and they have become unsure as to the subject matter.

Finally, it was an absolute certainty before COVID the cookies (biscuits) would be stale and disgusting and the coffee would be mediocre (only Greek, Syrian, Coptic and Ethiopian Christians do really good coffee; in days past if the parishes of Italian Catholic immigrants in the US had anything like a coffee hour after mass, and I am pretty sure they did not except on special occasions, that coffee would also have rocked).

These are the extent of my premonitions.
But do you feel like something big is about to HAPPEN?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't believe pastors hear from God more or clearer than others. Every one in the pulpit wasn't called by Him.

We are living in a period with increasing manifestations of evil. It's no longer in the shadows. Satanic ideals and rhetoric are front and center. The language is forthright and their adherence to the power of darkness is evident.

The glorification of evil is difficult to swallow for those who walk with God. We're experiencing the outworking of the principle put forth in 2 Corinthians 6:15.

What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

When you grasp the gravity of Satan's nature you confront the beauty of Christ's holiness. Some people need the lesson. Their idea of evil is cuddly and not too bad. They don't realize what they're dealing with. But they'll know soon enough.

The benefit of today's climate may be a wake up a call to the wayward and confused. There's no denying it now. You can't explain away what's happening. That may yield good fruit. God willing, they return to the fold.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe pastors hear from God more or clearer than others. Every one in the pulpit wasn't called by Him.

We are living in a period with increasing manifestations of evil. It's no longer in the shadows. Satanic ideals and rhetoric are front and center. The language is forthright and their adherence to the power of darkness is evident.

The glorification of evil is difficult to swallow for those who walk with God. We're experiencing the outworking of the principle put forth in 2 Corinthians 6:15.

What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

When you grasp the gravity of Satan's nature you confront the beauty of Christ's holiness. Some people need the lesson. Their idea of evil is cuddly and not too bad. They don't realize what they're dealing with. But they'll know soon enough.

The benefit of today's climate may be a wake up a call to the wayward and confused. There's no denying it now. You can't explain away what's happening. That may yield good fruit. God willing, they return to the fold.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella
So well put. Thank you. Yes, I could not agree more. I am seeing the magnitude and am trying to delve into extent myself without giving it place. That way I know what to pray for and about and I tell ya, it makes my eyes water and my hair stand on end. I just hope that we get another Bible down the road because Christ is coming to reign for what? 1000 years? That is a day to God and then Satan is let out again? It is terrifying because we will still encounter him more later..for whatever reason but I do not question the Lord.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So well put. Thank you. Yes, I could not agree more. I am seeing the magnitude and am trying to delve into extent myself without giving it place. That way I know what to pray for and about and I tell ya, it makes my eyes water and my hair stand on end.

Pray for wisdom and the discerning of spirits. You'll see things in a different light. You won't be subject to deception to the degree others will. When you operate in discernment spiritual elements are laid bare. You experience them through the senses. Some see into the spirit realm more than others. Out of the six, I experience them through four.

Discernment is desperately needed in today's times. When you have the gift you realize how frequently Satan attempts to influence you and his effect on others and the world. Evil is relentless. It never sleeps. We can't afford to be slack. They're diligent and we must do the same.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the blessings of the Holy Spirit is the fact that He restrains evil in this world. And believers and non-believers alike both share this benefit. I keep my eyes on God. But if I were to take a glance at some of the schemes the devil would try to stir up, I would not be at all surprised if he tried rounding up Muslim or homegrown terrorists to make a huge attack on this country. We're already weak due to COVID, but a significant attack would completely level us. I'm not saying this to scare people. Jesus has already told us that peoples hearts are going to fail them in the latter days. And to PRAY. I'm just curious how many of us are actually doing that though. (not to even mention giving Him thanksgiving and praise)

• Useful
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Both of these statements are true. But one also has to recognize that pastors (Presbyters or Episkopoi to use the NT terms) have a different vocation from some people with exceptional prophetic gifts (usually ascetics who live a life of prayer). A good example would be two Russian Orthodox saints, Seraphim of Sarov and Fr. John of Kronstadt. John of Kronstadt was a priest who excelled at pastoral care and loved being a pastor at a time (the late 19th century) when the Russian Orthodox Church was not self governing, and did not have a Patriarch, but was under the direct control of a bureaucrat appointed by the czar and a committee of six bishops, selected out of several hundred bishops nationwide, on the basis of being least likely to rock the boat. People took communion infrequently, usually once a year, never confessed their sins, and many priests did not bother to preach.

It was as bad as things ever got in an Orthodox Church, and was an embarrassment to the pious faithful, like Dostoevsky, a stumbling block for men of conscience like Leo Tolstoy, and another schism worse than the Old Believer schism of the 17th century would have happened had things not been radically turned around (which they were, and then the Bolsheviks happened, but the revitalized church survived abroad and in secret in Russia).

John of Kronstadt, through his preaching encouraged, successfully, his congregation to take communion at least once a week. And because the Russian tradition is to confess sins before taking communion, and because every Sunday hundreds of new people would visit his church (located in the main seaport of St. Petersburg), in addition to the regular congregation, he simply had everyone shout their sins at the top of their lungs before the service, thus allowing people to confess while maintaining privacy (since no one could hear over everyone else), and then pronounced a general absolution. He was not, as far as I have heard, gifted in other ways spiritually, but in terms of pastoral care, he was amazing, and helped inspire the spiritual revitalization of the Russian church.

Now, equally inspiring but in all respects a man of a different vocation was Seraphim of Sarov. He was a hermit who prayed alone in the woods, standing on a rocky outcropping and praying all night most nights of the year, before his legs failed him and he had to remain mostly within his hermitage (his log cabin). He then a few years later opened the door to his cabin and started receiving visitors. Hundreds of people would come to see him for advice on both spiritual and secular matters. He had a clear charisma of prophecy, in that he was known to be able to answer the questions of new visitors before they had the chance to ask them, sometimes deeply personal spiritual questions.

There are people like John of Kronstadt and Seraphim of Sarov alive today, in many countries and in many churches. Really good pastors like St. John and really good confessors like St. Seraphim are quite hard to find, but they do exist. There are also new vocations which have appeared due to improvements in communications. Many people are unaware of the fact that Fred Rogers, host of the beloved children’s educational program Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, was a Presbyterian minister, who attended seminary, had an MDiv, and was ordained specially for ministry to young children using the new medium of television (he had begun his career in children’s TV before going to seminary).

So, the fact that most clergy I know are not foreseeing through divine means an impending event does not mean they are incompetent or unqualified; it is simply not the job of a pastor to foretell the future. Prophecy does exist in Christianity, but I think it more frequently tends to concern individual matters of salvation as opposed to major events (although prophecies of the latter have occurred). Lastly it should be stressed that concerning the dread day of judgement, no one knows when it will happen except God, and I myself think it is somewhat of a mistake to look forward enthusiastically to the Parousia. The more time we have to, through the grace of God, repent of our myriad sins, grow stronger in faith and make ourselves by grace through faith better temples of the Holy Spirit, the better it is for us.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Pray for wisdom and the discerning of spirits. You'll see things in a different light. You won't be subject to deception to the degree others will. When you operate in discernment spiritual elements are laid bare. You experience them through the senses. Some see into the spirit realm more than others. Out of the six, I experience them through four.

Discernment is desperately needed in today's times. When you have the gift you realize how frequently Satan attempts to influence you and his effect on others and the world. Evil is relentless. It never sleeps. We can't afford to be slack. They're diligent and we must do the same.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella
Which ways do you experience them? Is it ever startling? If you see in the spirit are your eyes open or closed and are things transparent?

Upvote 0