• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do other people make you feel anxious?

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do other people make you feel anxious, specifically other believers? I am in a program for adults with disabilities. The job coach I had today was like this. She's a believer, as am I, and feels very strongly about some things I do not. She made feel very tense the entire day. I physically felt my chest tighten. Like all she wanted to talk about was God, theology, etc. Which I don't mind, just not all the time.

Examples:

Today one of the other girls was having attitude issues. The coach said, "I rebuke this spirit of meanness in the name of Jesus!" she wanted me to lay a hand on the girl's shoulder too. I did, although I felt stupid for doing so, as that seemed way over the top to me. And it just wasn't something I was ever used to. Telling the girl the behavior was an unacceptable would have worked fine.

Oh, and this gem. The girl was continuing to act badly despite being corrected. So the coach says, "she continues to act badly? And she calls herself a Christian? Repentance means to change you're ways!" This girl had Down Syndrome, so maybe she didn't have the cognitively ability to see how her negative behavior impacted others, or why it was bad, or why she shouldn't be able to keep on doing it? The girl was in the car when the coach said this. I felt sick upon hearing it.

She took issue with the Halloween decorations hanging on some people's homes. She said, "We aren't to celebrate like Pagans." Different people have different opinions. I don't have an issue with Halloween; I like going to the corn maze and getting a pumpkin to carve.

We see women with tattoos. Then she asks me how I feel about tattoos.
I said, "I think it varies from person to person. A matter of conviction. If the Holy Spirit convicts you, don't do it. If you've prayed, etc and Holy Spirit doesn't convict you, I don't see a problem with it, although I'd never get one personally."

Her response. "Well the Bible says we aren't to mark our bodies. So you're saying we can just choose what is and isn't sin?" Then she launches into this whole cheap grace thing, and legalism, etc, and about how the law wasn't done away with etc.

Sigh.

She's nice but I couldn't handle having her as my coach full time. At lunch, I accidentally dropped my sandwich and she said, "Maybe God wanted you to buy a smoothie." Or maybe I just dropped my sandwich.

So have you run into anyone like this? Everything is always a debate, God is brought up in the most mundane circumstances, or about religion, etc even when the original conversation wasn't anything about that?

I feel really anxious and run down.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: com7fy8

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
someone like that would be fun to talk with because my beliefs are different than hers and I like talking about things that matter to me but yes most of the time people in general make me anxious due to me being high in neuroticism and low in extraversion. I have gynophobia so she might make me extremely anxious regardless.

though the laying on hands thing would have been awkward.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Re the OP (post 1). That person would not make me anxious or nervous or frustrated or whatever. I would simply ask if I could share a few scriptures with her. If she says yes, then I will quote directly from the Bible, using Paul's letters. I will cite Romans 10:8-13, Romans 8:1, John 5:24, and Ephesians 2:8-9. I would then comment, "I need no other argument, I need no other plea; it is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me, setting me free. No more night, no more pain, no more fears, never crying again. Praises to the Great I AM, we live in the Light of the Risen Lamb."

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I had a leader who was doing things wrong, I would be an example for the leader >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And make sure you aren't doing the same thing, somehow.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's lots of people with crazy thoughts that don't follow what the Bible actually says but history has had conflicts and cultural differences. I don't know what she wants but I expect her heart has sin in it and she's a legalist trying to make more followers under her, but she herself doesn't follow the law perfectly but tries to point fingers and seem like it. Of course the Law is good.

Is she a bad person? Better read what the Bible says than to make it useful to your carnal desires as priority. What good is boasting in flesh if the heart and spirit are sinful. No sense in debating with someone who isn't interested in what's truly spiritual. They're only interested in material things and status, but who isn't of course.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll at least remind you that Moses had a brother and that lineage descended all the way to when the Christ, the heavenly High Priest came for us. Yes, I understand this might not be what you expected or wanted to hear, but isn't it better. Else you'd be left with your own carnal thoughts in the same mess with no newness.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We see women with tattoos. Then she asks me how I feel about tattoos.
I said, "I think it varies from person to person. A matter of conviction. If the Holy Spirit convicts you, don't do it. If you've prayed, etc and Holy Spirit doesn't convict you, I don't see a problem with it, although I'd never get one personally."
Well, of course you do. In North America now apparently 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are women, including many Christians. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

There may be mental health issues in relation to what is written in your OP; but as for the tattoo aspect, I think it has very little to do with mental health.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll at least remind you that Moses had a brother and that lineage descended all the way to when the Christ, the heavenly High Priest came for us. Yes, I understand this might not be what you expected or wanted to hear, but isn't it better. Else you'd be left with your own carnal thoughts in the same mess with no newness.
Yes, Christ as the believer's Great High Priest is a wonderful theme in the Epistle to the Hebrews. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was also a high priest born 6 months before Him.
Really this makes a huge difference. Even though I'm not answering how someone might expect to remedy anxiety in you or the world. Else why would someone ask expecting counsel from a sinner's mind or heart.
Get away from those people.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's lots of people with crazy thoughts that don't follow what the Bible actually says but history has had conflicts and cultural differences. I don't know what she wants but I expect her heart has sin in it and she's a legalist trying to make more followers under her, but she herself doesn't follow the law perfectly but tries to point fingers and seem like it. Of course the Law is good.

Is she a bad person? Better read what the Bible says than to make it useful to your carnal desires as priority. What good is boasting in flesh if the heart and spirit are sinful. No sense in debating with someone who isn't interested in what's truly spiritual. They're only interested in material things and status, but who isn't of course.

Well in an environment that’s supposed to mimic a job setting someone shouldn’t try to bring up religious issues to debate anyway.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, of course you do. In North America now apparently 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are women, including many Christians. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

There may be mental health issues in relation to what is written in your OP; but as for the tattoo aspect, I think it has very little to do with mental health.

So there’s an issue that I don’t concern myself with people who want to get tattoos, despite the fact they aren’t harming themselves or others? Even though I said getting a tattoo isn’t something I am comfortable doing?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So there’s an issue that I don’t concern myself with people who want to get tattoos, despite the fact they aren’t harming themselves or others? Even though I said getting a tattoo isn’t something I am comfortable doing?
I would basically ignore whether someone has a tattoo in terms of how you relate to them.

But if they want to talk about their tattoos and you do too, well fine!

A lot of Christians do use faith based tattoos as effective witness tools that act as conversation starters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There was also a high priest born 6 months before Him.
Really this makes a huge difference. Even though I'm not answering how someone might expect to remedy anxiety in you or the world. Else why would someone ask expecting counsel from a sinner's mind or heart.
Get away from those people.

Was that to me? I think she is legalistic but we are all sinners. If she becomes my permanent coach then I can’t get away from her. I am hoping she doesn’t become my permanent coach however.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Business out of the church and church out of the business?
Maybe keep all sorts of selfish agendas and emotional drama out too. Would people be lifeless robots or perhaps be able to act like ladies and gentlemen, not obnoxious uneducated harlots/harlots pardon my french.
They must be overcompensating for the shame of not truly owning the right gospel. It's sad that so many people don't understand and then go around trying to do deeds or saying what they think they're supposed to.
Just please stay away from them. Genuine love in word is one thing, saying it, but faith really needs God's Word and seeing what He's done.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...despite the fact they aren’t harming themselves or others?
In any case, sooo many ppl get tattoos, especially at 18; it's what is so often done at around one's 18th. It used to be man thing (male sailors, bikers, etc.) but now it's become a very womanly thing to do also. A lot of Christians get something faith based done, even something simple like a Christian fish sign <>< on a wrist, etc.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No the business has nothing to do with church, and is not run by any church. It’s secular. Did you read what else I wrote? If she becomes my permanent coach I can’t stay away from her, although I am hoping that doesn’t happen.
Maybe someone else will take her place, then, which might be more comfortable for you.

Upvote 0