Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Revelation 6:6. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying,
“A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and
do not harm the oil and the wine.”

What is the reason for this instruction?
Could it be because of medicinal properties?
Thoughts?

Luke 10:34. And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine,
and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 6:6. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying,
“A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and

Thoughts?

Luke 10:34. And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine,
and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

It's a case of near-sarcastic irony. During the siege of Jerusalem by Titus, the Jewish rebels inside the city began desecrated the city and the temple grounds in horrible ways. As God said "do not kill", they killed. "Do not steal", they stole. "do not harm the oil and the wine", they harmed the oil and the wine. Josephus wrote of their evil:

"And here I cannot but speak my mind, and what the concern I am under dictates to me: and it is this. I suppose that had the Romans made any longer delay in coming against these villains, that the city would either have been swallowed up by the ground opening upon them, or been overflowed by water; or else been destroyed by such thunder, as the country of Sodom perished by."

He also recounted an incident with John of Gischala:

"On which account he emptied the vessels of that sacred wine and oil..."

See War of the Jews by Flavius Josephus, Book Five, Chapter 13.

Josephus also said of the famine in the city during the siege:

"Many there were indeed who sold what they had for one measure: it was of wheat, if they were of the richer sort; but of barley, if they were poorer."

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?
"Wheat and barley are two different sources for making bread, which is the livelihood of the body. They became extremely expensive, which would lead to a famine, and death. This expression, taken figuratively, means that there is an extreme spiritual famine that resulted from the heretical teachings. Our spiritual food, which is the word of God, is lacking. Oil and Wine represent healing elements which the Good Samaritan has given to the Jewish man that was attacked. The Good Samaritan is the Lord who came to heal the sinners with the work of the Holy Spirit (the Oil) and the Communion (The Wine) that the Christians. do not harm [them] God has ordered the heresies not to harm the Oil and the Wine, which means that the heresies will be eradicated from the church and will not be able to prevail against it, despite the fact that spiritual correct teachings will be scarce in these periods. The Church always fights the heresies, and adds creeds to be recited by the faithful, so that they keep the right faith."

http://lacopts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/English-Adults-2013.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Wheat and barley are two different sources for making bread, which is the livelihood of the body. They became extremely expensive, which would lead to a famine, and death. This expression, taken figuratively, means that there is an extreme spiritual famine that resulted from the heretical teachings. Our spiritual food, which is the word of God, is lacking. Oil and Wine represent healing elements which the Good Samaritan has given to the Jewish man that was attacked. The Good Samaritan is the Lord who came to heal the sinners with the work of the Holy Spirit (the Oil) and the Communion (The Wine) that the Christians. do not harm [them] God has ordered the heresies not to harm the Oil and the Wine, which means that the heresies will be eradicated from the church and will not be able to prevail against it, despite the fact that spiritual correct teachings will be scarce in these periods. The Church always fights the heresies, and adds creeds to be recited by the faithful, so that they keep the right faith."

http://lacopts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/English-Adults-2013.pdf
Oh that's really interesting! I think your symbols are mixed though. Oil is a symbol for the Holy Spirit, but wine is not a symbol for 'communion ' because that is a natural thing. Wine is always a symbol of life in the blood, the spiritual interpretation of it, not the natural.

Upvote 0