✟1,355,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 1:8-12 ESV

“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do.”

We can’t save ourselves. There is nothing we can do in our own flesh to earn or to deserve our own salvation. We can never be good enough to gain God’s divine approval or to be considered righteous in his sight. Our good works will never outweigh our bad.

We also can’t be saved from our sins and have eternal life with God by making up our own gospel or by following a false gospel being taught by others. We can’t shorten (alter) the gospel to make it more acceptable to human flesh and for it to be more appealing to this sinful world.

We are saved by God’s grace, through faith, and not of our own doing. It is the gift of God, not a result of works lest any of us should boast that we earned our own salvation. But… we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them (in practice). [Eph 2:8-10]

So, we can’t work our way into heaven of our own doing, by our own decisions, by our own works. It is only because of what Jesus did for us on that cross, and via his resurrection, that any of us have any hope at all of salvation from sin and of eternal life with God.

But what are we saved from? And what are we saved to? And what does God require of us? For God has works he has prepared for us to do, but they are the works of God, not of our flesh, and which are initiated by God, not by ourselves, and which are done in his power and strength, and not in our own strength.

Well, Jesus died on that cross that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness. He died that we might no longer live for ourselves but for him who gave his life up for us. And He gave up his blood for us on that cross to buy us back for God so we would now honor God with our lives (1 Pet 2:24; 2 Co 5:15, 21; 1 Co 6:19-20).

Jesus died that horrible death on that cross to free us from our slavery to sin and so that we would now become slaves of God and of his righteousness. He died that we might be crucified with him in death to sin, and that we might be resurrected with him to newness of life in him, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness (Rom 6:1-23; Eph 4:17-24).

And Jesus died and rose from the dead, not only so that we would die with him to sin but also that we might now walk (in conduct, in practice) according to (in agreement with) the Spirit of God and no longer according to our flesh (Rom 8:1-17; 1 Jn 1:5-9; Tit 2:11-14; Lu 9:23-26).

For, Jesus saved us and called us to a holy calling, to live lives which are separate (unlike, different) from the world because we are being conformed to the likeness of Christ. We aren’t saved so we can continue living in sin guilt-free. For, if that were the case, we would not be being persecuted for the sake of the gospel.

2 Timothy 1:12-14 ESV

“But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.”

If we are sharing the gospel as Jesus taught it and as his New Testament apostles taught it, we will be persecuted. We will be hated, rejected, ostracized, called names, falsely accused, attacked fiercely, kicked out of church fellowships and/or off of websites and/or beaten and put to death.

But if we genuinely believe what we say we do, then we must know how critical it is that we get out the truth in spite of all opposing forces coming against us, and despite how we might be treated in return. For we understand that it is the truth that sets people free, and it is lies which send people to hell on a false promise of heaven.

So, even though we will be faced with much opposition, we will continue to share the truth which we have become convinced of. We will not be ashamed of our Lord or of his gospel even if other people try to shame us. We will remain strong in our faith and determined to keep pressing on.

So, we will hold on to the truth of the gospel, and we will not compromise with the world, and we will continue to teach what is in accord with sound doctrine, and we will not deny our faith or our Lord, by God’s grace.

Servant of the Lord

An Original Work / July 26, 2012
Based off Romans 1:1-17

Servant of the Lord;
For the gospel you’re set apart.
Promised through the prophets of old:
Jesus, Son of God.
Through Him, and for His name alone,
We receive His grace
To call people, Him to obey;
Coming from their faith.
Servant of the Lord,