Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you look up fear in the thesaurus you will find an amazing number of words that are synonyms. This suggests that this emotion is not only universal, but very complex and difficult to pin down.

At one level the emotion of fear is similar in purpose to pain, it is there in us to keep us alive. But we all know that there are huge differences in the nature and level of fear we experience - from being 'subconsciously anxious' to 'terrified.'

This morning I read this verse and it made me pause.
Exodus 20:20
Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”

The usual explanation I have been told, of the phrase "fear God" is that it means we should respect him. This doesn't seem adequate to me. There are lots of people I respect, but whom I don't fear. And I would never use the word fear in relation to them.

I think I understand the first sentence "Do not be afraid." It's the second use of the word for which I need a deeper understanding. The scriptures say "The fear of the Lord in the beginning of knowledge." (Proverbs 1:7) But it also says in 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." and our relationship with the Father is one of love. Furthermore, I have been encouraged to stop sinning "because I love the Lord, who died for me to release me from the guilt and punishment of sin." This seems the opposite to "the fear of God will... keep you from sinning."

So I have two basic questions:
1) Does the original Hebrew in this verse use two different words, or the same one. and if two, what are the differences, what do they imply?
2) Can someone give me a more fitting synonym or explanation for the second use of the English word 'fear' in Exodus 20:20 and other verses admonitioning us to "fear the Lord.?"

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you look up fear in the thesaurus you will find an amazing number of words that are synonyms. This suggests that this emotion is not only universal, but very complex and difficult to pin down.

At one level the emotion of fear is similar in purpose to pain, it is there in us to keep us alive. But we all know that there are huge differences in the nature and level of fear we experience - from being 'subconsciously anxious' to 'terrified.'

Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”

The usual explanation I have been told, of the phrase "fear God" is that it means we should respect him. This doesn't seem adequate to me. There are lots of people I respect, but whom I don't fear. And I would never use the word fear in relation to them.

I think I understand the first sentence "Do not be afraid." It's the second use of the word for which I need a deeper understanding. The scriptures say "The fear of the Lord in the beginning of wisdom." But it also says in 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." and our relationship with the Father is one of love. Furthermore, I have been encouraged to stop sinning "because I love the Lord, who died for me to release me from the guilt and punishment of sin." This seems the opposite to "the fear of God will... keep you from sinning."

1) Does the original Hebrew in this verse use two different words, or the same one. and if two, what are the differences, what do they imply?
2) Can someone give me a more fitting synonym or explanation for the second use of the English word 'fear' in Exodus 20:20 and other verses admonitioning us to "fear the Lord.?"

Much depends on our colloquial understanding of the word "fear" and any possible "knee jerk" reactions to the word "fear" and if we have "delved" further into what that word means, based on the context in which it is used.

You mentioned this verse:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

What does this verse convey to you?

Upvote 0

Penny Feeley

Devout Christian
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2017
Victorville
✟48,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Synonym for fear. reverence
I view this as the same as fearing my mother and father to not disappoint them. Because they love me so much that they would take the time to discipline me because they know I can do better. God loves us so much that he would discipline us when we sin. God knows which each individual is capable of. After all he is our father. And who he gives much he expects much.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

What does this verse convey to you?

Together with Proverbs 1:7, the two verses cover fear as being the beginning of both knowledge and wisdom!

I'm uncertain about the meaning. You're smart if you maintain a high level of reverence for the Lord?

In today's "knowledge economy" and mad chase after money and material wealth, I think that having awesome respect for God's existence and value systems as an underlying assumption or starting point for reason, is fundamental to achieving balance in life, and providing advice to others (sharing wisdom).

I don't feel that just remembering the God is great, awesome, necessarily leads you anywhere. It is only when you really consider the implications and allow them to affect your behaviour and your attitudes, that there is any result. If you do all your thinking without remembering and being mindful of God, you are eventually going to go wrong.

As for "the knowledge of the holy is understanding," this has special resonance when recalling that 'holy' shares a root with "whole." God is holy because he is complete, he is all encompassing, he is the whole truth. We are finding out increasingly that in many subject matters that our understanding is lacking because we don't have a whole "systems approach." But that's another thread! ;)

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I think I understand the first sentence "Do not be afraid." It's the second use of the word for which I need a deeper understanding. The scriptures say "The fear of the Lord in the beginning of knowledge." (Proverbs 1:7) But it also says in 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." and our relationship with the Father is one of love. Furthermore, I have been encouraged to stop sinning "because I love the Lord, who died for me to release me from the guilt and punishment of sin." This seems the opposite to "the fear of God will... keep you from sinning."

I've been able to locate only one word "yir'ah" (yee-rah) for fear in Hebrew. I'm not sure there are other words for fear in Hebrew other than yira, mora, or yare (source: biblestudytools.com). Maybe biblical scholars can help you out.

I'd say it's the dread of the Lord for a sinner, and an awe and respect for the Lord for a saint. Peace in Christ :).

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Synonym for fear. reverence

Thank you Penny, I think that's a good one. And I like it.

But for some of us it is linked to Reverend, reminding of us people "of the cloth" who are really not worthy of reverence. So how would you define 'reverence?' When you were little you cuddled with your mom, no doubt. And even today, you could give either of your parents a good hug. Does your view of reverence allow real closeness? For some, like orthodox Jews, reverence for God might lead them to hesitate to even say His name.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it's the dread of the Lord for a sinner, and an awe and respect for the Lord for a saint.

Thanks Yagna. It's a good way to put it. And thanks for digging up those Hebrew words.

How do you think this directly leads to knowledge, or wisdom?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Hebrew uses the verb first, H3372, and then the noun, H3374. The noun is derived from the verb, according to Strong's. They share their root and essentially have the same spectrum of meaning: fear, reverence, terror.

Interestingly, the Septuagint uses a completely different verb in the first instance, G2294, tharseo, meaning courage. It states the thought positively, "be of good courage".

I've found a similar dynamic in the Greek NT, where fear, terror, reverence is all derived from the same root, Phobos.

So the shades of meaning are going to have to be derived from the context. The first instance of fear I think of as a malignant, paralyzing, unhealthy fear. The second is a healthy fear. The first is a verb, meaning it's acting on you. The second is a noun, meaning it's there. It can kick into action when needed, but it's not oppressive otherwise (see Psalm 19:9).

An analogy would be looking over the Grand Canyon. No need to fear at all. Just amazing reverence for the whole thing. Hard to take it all in. But get a bit too close to the edge, and that awe and reverence quickly turns into paralyzing terror. And it's for your own good. The Lord's intentions toward us are always good, and so is His fear.

In the Gospels, right after Jesus tells His hearers to fear the One who can throw body and soul into Gehenna, He turns and tells them to fear not, it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom. There is a dynamic there as well, and the key seems to be appropriate perspective, as with the Grand Canyon analogy.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks Yagna. It's a good way to put it. And thanks for digging up those Hebrew words.

How do you think this directly leads to knowledge, or wisdom?
As a professor I can tell you that only those kids who respect me listen to me. Only those pay attention can learn and benefit from me. We can't learn from God, if we don't respect and honor Him. That's probably why the bible says "the fear of the Lord is beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Lord is understanding." Peace :).

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The way I think about it is that just as the beginning of education is in the realization of ones ignorance, and the beginning of righteousness is seeing ones sin for what it is, so the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God.
But it is only the beginning and not the end. The end of wisdom appraise Gods Love for us that casts out all fear so that we can, along with Jesus, call Him Daddy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, the Septuagint uses a completely different verb in the first instance, G2294, tharseo, meaning courage. It states the thought positively, "be of good courage".

This is interesting. You never need courage unless there is danger or a threat or great difficulty to face. You need courage to keep the fear in check.

Thanks Paul for a good and thoughtful explanation. I like it a lot.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Together with Proverbs 1:7, the two verses cover fear as being the beginning of both knowledge and wisdom!

I'm uncertain about the meaning. You're smart if you maintain a high level of reverence for the Lord?

In today's "knowledge economy" and mad chase after money and material wealth, I think that having awesome respect for God's existence and value systems as an underlying assumption or starting point for reason, is fundamental to achieving balance in life, and providing advice to others (sharing wisdom).

I don't feel that just remembering the God is great, awesome, necessarily leads you anywhere. It is only when you really consider the implications and allow them to affect your behaviour and your attitudes, that there is any result. If you do all your thinking without remembering and being mindful of God, you are eventually going to go wrong.

As for "the knowledge of the holy is understanding," this has special resonance when recalling that 'holy' shares a root with "whole." God is holy because he is complete, he is all encompassing, he is the whole truth. We are finding out increasingly that in many subject matters that our understanding is lacking because we don't have a whole "systems approach." But that's another thread! ;)

Does "smart" = "wise"?

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a professor I can tell you that only those kids who respect me listen to me. Only those pay attention can learn and benefit from me. We can't learn from God, if we don't respect and honor Him. That's probably why the bible says "the fear of the Lord is beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Lord is understanding." Peace :).

Yes, I can see that. In some schools when I was growing up you got punished if you got the answers wrong, or you didn't write closely enough on the line. I suppose that for some this would work. But for how long? I can't believe it is a strong enough motive to keep a kid in school.

During my teaching periods, I found students listened if they were interested. If they weren't interested from the beginning, the only way I could get them to pay the kind of attention needed, was for me to make the subject matter interesting. You haven't taught if the student hasn't learned.

I appreciate the teacher-learner interpretation though. Either the reverence for God is the prerequisite for knowledge and wisdom, or it is the first thing learned. Is reverence something that we can learn, or does it just come as we get to know God (but this is learning) ... how does that work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In some contexts yes. If reverence means saving you from burning...

This verse that comes to mind, my friend:

"Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil." ~Proverbs 3:7

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If "respect" was a better word, they would have used it.
Here ya go, this is how the word is used in scripture:

afraid (100), awesome (21), awesome acts (1), awesome things (4), became afraid (1), became...frightened (2), become frightened (1), cautious (1), dismayed (1), fear (165), fear and awesome (1), feared (36), fearful (1), fearful thing (1), fearfully (1), fearing (5), fears (9), frighten (4), frightened (1), have...fear (1), made me afraid (1), revere (10), revered (3), reverence (3), showed reverence (1), stand in awe (1), terrible (3), terrible things (1), terrifying (2).

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, I can see that. In some schools when I was growing up you got punished if you got the answers wrong, or you didn't write closely enough on the line. I suppose that for some this would work. But for how long? I can't believe it is a strong enough motive to keep a kid in school.

During my teaching periods, I found students listened if they were interested. If they weren't interested from the beginning, the only way I could get them to pay the kind of attention needed, was for me to make the subject matter interesting. You haven't taught if the student hasn't learned.

I appreciate the teacher-learner interpretation though. Either the reverence for God is the prerequisite for knowledge and wisdom, or it is the first thing learned. Is reverence something that we can learn, or does it just come as we get to know God (but this is learning) ... how does that work?
The Lord Jesus said that "if you love Me you'll obey my commands." So love for the Lord is synonymous with revering the Lord. I don't punish students for wrong responses, but some students are more motivated than others. Some don't even want to learn (no matter how interesting one makes the curriculum). I suppose same goes with salvation. Many are called, but only few truly respond to God's call. We have to be sure that we're in the obedient group :).

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If "respect" was a better word, they would have used it.

Maybe so. Certainly different translations use different words.
In Exodus 20;20 the context would definitely suggest the first 'fear' was 'fear' or dread. The people were terrified and the next verses show that in spite of Moses' reassurance, the people kept their distance.

But since the same root is translated in other ways elsewhere, it is strange (to me) that a contrasting word isn't used for the second 'fear' in this verse. It's like Moses is saying "Don't be afraid. It's just God coming to make you afraid so you won't disobey him." Why tell them not to be afraid if God's purpose is that they should be afraid?

Upvote 0