Do most evangelicals actually preach works for fear of antinomianism?

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most services I have attended in my local evangelical churches follow a pattern of joyous welcome, uplifting hymns, passionate prayers and then at the end a long sermon which casts down spirits and makes us leave certainly feeling we are failures or worse, that we are in danger of losing our salvation. Maybe we like it this way. But is this scriptural?
When was the last time we heard something of the wonder of the salvation Jesus wrought for us? Or rather, is it about how ungrateful we are for being given just a (slim) chance of avoiding perdition?
A favourite couple of passages at my last evangelical church were about the unprepared bridesmaids with no oil and Jesus' harsh words to the miracle-workers that "He never knew" them?
But surely this is the wrong way round. Our pursuit of sanctification and service and making Jesus Lord should be inspired by Jesus saying that we are now his brothers and we love Him and therefore should follow his commands. We are led not driven.
After all, it was for the sake of the glory prepared for Him that Jesus endured the cross.

Reactions: dms1972

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most services I have attended in my local evangelical churches follow a pattern of joyous welcome, uplifting hymns, passionate prayers and then at the end a long sermon which casts down spirits and makes us leave certainly feeling we are failures or worse, that we are in danger of losing our salvation. Maybe we like it this way. But is this scriptural?
When was the last time we heard something of the wonder of the salvation Jesus wrought for us? Or rather, is it about how ungrateful we are for being given just a (slim) chance of avoiding perdition?
A favourite couple of passages at my last evangelical church were about the unprepared bridesmaids with no oil and Jesus' harsh words to the miracle-workers that "He never knew" them?
But surely this is the wrong way round. Our pursuit of sanctification and service and making Jesus Lord should be inspired by Jesus saying that we are now his brothers and we love Him and therefore should follow his commands. We are led not driven.
After all, it was for the sake of the glory prepared for Him that Jesus endured the cross.
There are so many types and styles of preaching so discernment is important. Besides this fact there are also different types of Christians. Some on the brink of apostasy, some on milk and some fully equipped with His Holy Spirit. I am sure it is a delicate balance when dealing with such a variety in the flock. That being said, be secure in your faith and let no one cast doubt in it. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I agree with @Maria Billingsley on this. I think the major reason evangelical churches do this is out of a recognition that there is both a lot of people in various stages of maturity; as well as a lot of unregenerate people also present.

Personally, I'd have problems with sermons that assume that everyone present are believers. Unless it's a situation like a small group or house church where all the members know each other well and have fruit in their lives.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is Paul Washer your pastor? Lol. I know what you mean, but I found that not all churches always leave you feeling gloomy. I think we simply care about being right with God in our hearts, and not losing touch of our need for Christ. There are a lot of professors who think they know Christ, but their hearts are far from him.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are several camps/streams..in Evangelicalism/Evangelical Movement.
- Churches..with different emphasis, style..etc.
*in US..
Maybe, not in UK?
---
I have been observing (& involved in) Evangelical Movement (US)..
- since 1970's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
A friend told me once that as long as a sermon (or a movie, haha) produced tears in his wife and made him feel guilty, he knew it was a good one.

One thing I have seen and felt, (every since I was young, come to think of it), is a satisfaction in the polarity between believer and unbeliever. One sermon may produce a disgust of a person against the preacher or the church, but the same sermon may also produce a disgust of another person against sin. The truth is not meant to be easy, even when it draws one to repentance. Certainly not easy when it drives one away from Christ.

But "there is a time for everything".